Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,003 times

Advertisements

Good luck Carolina Chick (go Tarheels!). I think you and I will be going on this ride together. we've been listed for 1.5 weeks, had about 12 showings. This week has been slow here, only 2 showings. It is a huge spring break week here so I'm hoping that is why. I think the feedback is a hard thing to get- our realtor asks for it but we've gotten very little. Price doesn't seem to be an issue, but she said we could reassess in a week or so, because even if they aren't saying price, it will ultimately be about that.

I'm like you though when it comes to rearranging everything- you need to leave some personality and like you said, unless it comes as a negative on more than one occasion, I'd leave as-is. Our issue is I've decluttered like crazy but THEN you don't want your garage, or your storage room, to be totally jammed with stuff you moved out? So where do you put all this stuff? I'm also competing against new construction (we are in infill neighborhood but our price point is closer to new construction) so I'm trying ot make it feel new but also emphasize the positives of having something slightly used (like the landscaping, window coverings, tasteful paint). So we'll see.... DM me if you want to and send me your link and I'll do likewise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Surfing: LOL.... no. Nothing kooky like questionable adult-themed swings in the corner nor anything. heh! I don't want to mention the specifics because he might be a participant here. And I mean that the sales dude put the sign right next to the Realtor sign in front of my house. It's not land that I own technically, but c'mon.

James: well that stinks! I can't believe they pulled up your signs. Who knows why people can't just accept competition and let it be. Childish...
okay now I understand why you weren't being specific. if you want to leave it then leave it the way it is. maybe you can revisit the bedroom issue in a few weeks. people were turned off by the wall colors in my bedroom and kitchen cabinet colors and at first i didn't want to do anything because it's paint, i like to paint it's not difficult so why should it bother anyone. after a month i reluctantly changed the colors. getting better feedback, no offers but better feedback.

as for the new homes sign, turn it around so it points to your house. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
Good luck Carolina Chick (go Tarheels!). I think you and I will be going on this ride together. we've been listed for 1.5 weeks, had about 12 showings. This week has been slow here, only 2 showings. It is a huge spring break week here so I'm hoping that is why. I think the feedback is a hard thing to get- our realtor asks for it but we've gotten very little. Price doesn't seem to be an issue, but she said we could reassess in a week or so, because even if they aren't saying price, it will ultimately be about that.

I'm like you though when it comes to rearranging everything- you need to leave some personality and like you said, unless it comes as a negative on more than one occasion, I'd leave as-is. Our issue is I've decluttered like crazy but THEN you don't want your garage, or your storage room, to be totally jammed with stuff you moved out? So where do you put all this stuff? I'm also competing against new construction (we are in infill neighborhood but our price point is closer to new construction) so I'm trying ot make it feel new but also emphasize the positives of having something slightly used (like the landscaping, window coverings, tasteful paint). So we'll see.... DM me if you want to and send me your link and I'll do likewise!
GOOOO HEELS!

Okay now that I've gotten that out. lol... Yeah we broke down and got the ole storage unit. It's packed full, I tell ya. But it'll be nice when time to move because 90% is done! I'll take this ride with ya. We'll commiserate together.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
okay now I understand why you weren't being specific. if you want to leave it then leave it the way it is. maybe you can revisit the bedroom issue in a few weeks. people were turned off by the wall colors in my bedroom and kitchen cabinet colors and at first i didn't want to do anything because it's paint, i like to paint it's not difficult so why should it bother anyone. after a month i reluctantly changed the colors. getting better feedback, no offers but better feedback.

as for the new homes sign, turn it around so it points to your house. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah - I kept it vague to avoid Mr. Realtor Man from spitting on me or something. We'll see what the feedback brings in when real clients start rolling through. I just got a call about another showing this weekend. We'll see. Instead of turning the sign around, maybe I can get one of those strobe thingys that car dealerships use to bring attention to their lots. Rent a Goodyear Blimp to do a few fly overs and a single engine airplane to drag banners over my house. Think that'll do it?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Yeah - I kept it vague to avoid Mr. Realtor Man from spitting on me or something. We'll see what the feedback brings in when real clients start rolling through. I just got a call about another showing this weekend. We'll see. Instead of turning the sign around, maybe I can get one of those strobe thingys that car dealerships use to bring attention to their lots. Rent a Goodyear Blimp to do a few fly overs and a single engine airplane to drag banners over my house. Think that'll do it?
LMAO!!!!! why stop there, why not rent one of those blow up crazy waving things for outside of your house.

good luck with your real showing!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:47 PM

YES! They have one at my gym. Maybe I'll borrow it for the weekend. heh heh... I'll stand out there with it and flail about.

Well the showing for this weekend cancelled. Buyers said it was too far from their office. Guess looking at it on a map before making an appointment was too hard. Yeesh, I'm bad today. Lemme stop...

Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Did you see the program "Designed to sell"? There was one episode in which man and wife (both realtors) wanted to sell their home. They had put a big screen tv in front of a fire place..., and much more of the same stupid things in that house. The program makers decluttered the home put the tv else where and way more. Having said this, I hope not one of these 2 is your realtor who gave advise on your home.

Do you have a box to put fliers in on the pole? Put some in there if you have and keep it filled up. Ignore the sales person, I understand how you feel and he is trying to get under your skin, don't let him. You can put an extra for sale sign in your yard so you will atrack more people and put your home on more internet sites. The more the better, more chance buyers will see your home. I have seen people using the builders pictures for selling their home (like model home interior pictures), so they will see more option on how to put the furniture.
Good Luck.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
We ran into a builder doing the same thing when we were selling our first house. They pulled up my directionals, put signs right next to mine and then told ME I couldn't have but one sign according to the CC&R's, told people that there were things wrong with my house etc...
Finally I'd had enough so I took my wifes van and some butcher paper and made a sign that took up the whole side of it and parked it in front of THEIR model homes pointing to mine starting on Friday night.
Since it was a city street there was nothing they could do but boy were they ticked. After about 3 weeks of that they relented and we sold about 2 weeks later.
Yes I know the builders are there to sell houses but that's no reason for them to be petty. I did find out it was the builders agents that were playing the games because they wanted to make more money, the builder wasn't involved as far as I could find out.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Is there a link to your property online? Maybe you should let us c-d people have a go?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:17 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Reading all of these posts on this site, I am really shocked at the number of people that seem to not like or trust their realtor. Why would you hire a realtor to sell your house or to help you buy a house that you think would do things like make up feedback simply because you won't change one thing in your bedroom? I hope my clients do not think I would be that petty or dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate