U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:02 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,452,773 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a house with a similar kitchen set as the example. My dad a reno soon after we moved in, and he took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room and created a combo, kitchen/dining. And just like the example, it was used daily, multiple times a day. Breakfast, lunch, homework and dinner. It’s something I want in my next house. Not a silly breakfast nook, a larger dining area open to the kitchen. Not a “formal” dining room, which I have always taken to mean a separate dining room.

I’ll also be upsizing in retirement. I want well defined spaces and not slash rooms. I’m tired of my dining/sewing/library/exercise room. To me that’s a clear indication of a multifunctionality that does none of them well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM

5,617 posts, read 6,485,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I grew up in a house with a similar kitchen set as the example. My dad a reno soon after we moved in, and he took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room and created a combo, kitchen/dining. And just like the example, it was used daily, multiple times a day. Breakfast, lunch, homework and dinner. It’s something I want in my next house. Not a silly breakfast nook, a larger dining area open to the kitchen. Not a “formal” dining room, which I have always taken to mean a separate dining room
I always though breakfast nooks were pretty neat until I got one. Maybe it's just mine, but it's just such a tight space, and it still feels like you're eating in the kitchen, not in a dining area. It doesn't feel much different than eating a snack over the kitchen counter.

It seems like the worst of both worlds to me. Less formal than a dining room, less comfortable than eating in the living room.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,723,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I always though breakfast nooks were pretty neat until I got one. Maybe it's just mine, but it's just such a tight space, and it still feels like you're eating in the kitchen, not in a dining area. It doesn't feel much different than eating a snack over the kitchen counter.

It seems like the worst of both worlds to me. Less formal than a dining room, less comfortable than eating in the living room.
Haha when I had a big house, I never used the nook. Though I put a small table on it just so I wont bang my head anymore on the chandelier.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:51 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,443,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
... Certainly older colleagues in my field live in McMansions/gated communities.
Please note that "McMansion" is not a synonym for "large house." A McMansion has a specific architectural definition. Come over to the C-D Architecture forum and you can find discussions on this topic.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:54 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,443,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
This is part of the problem with the study's method. It equates how much time you spend in a room with how important it is. You might only be spending a few hours a week in aggregate in that dining room, but I bet those meals are pretty important to you and your family.
^^^ This. ^^^

The smallest room in my house is the most important one. I visit it numerous times/day, but I rarely stay for more than a minute or two. But what you gotta go, you gotta go.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:53 PM

19,043 posts, read 10,066,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I grew up in a house with a similar kitchen set as the example. My dad a reno soon after we moved in, and he took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room and created a combo, kitchen/dining. And just like the example, it was used daily, multiple times a day. Breakfast, lunch, homework and dinner. It’s something I want in my next house. Not a silly breakfast nook, a larger dining area open to the kitchen. Not a “formal” dining room, which I have always taken to mean a separate dining room.
that sounds like what I have - it's an open floor plan with a dining area right next to the kitchen area. The house isn't that large so there isn't another eating area although I could have barstools at the island, I choose not to. So we eat all our meals at the dining room table (unless we are outside on the deck) and we also sit there to use a laptop computer or play games or do work/homework. I have a couple of other pieces of dining room furniture in there, so it's definitely got a dining room vibe, just not a fourth wall or a door. If my house was the one diagrammed in the original post, the dining room would be a sea of red dots, since we spend so much time there.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:34 PM

11,829 posts, read 7,707,929 times
I disagree with the article because it's another article intended to please millennials that can't afford a home.

Anyone that lives a 2-3 bedroom apt for years want a house and not a 4-5 bedroom apt. While it is accurate that most people spends majority of their time in a few areas but times have changed and more people need newer space area for new reasons.

A lot of folks like myself work from home from time to time and cannot be disturbed. Lots of folks now have game or entertainment rooms in their basements or family room when guests are here. Without additional rooms, you'll have too much clutter. Having a larger home allows you to declutter and reorganize your house so you can designate each area for different purposes.

I know some folks even have 2 kitchens because they like a snack bar/kitchen concept for having guests over and then a full kitchen for family events. Times have changed.

Very few people I know want to downsize unless all of their children moved out.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:14 PM
DKM

2,060 posts, read 674,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, I've heard this story many times. Lots of former Californians have found that twice the house for half the price does not--to them--make up for crummy weather, and who needs that much space anyway.
When I moved here last year I got a house with half the size. Many people thought we were crazy to downsize with a young family....Doesn't matter at all, as long as you all fit who misses the unused space? Plus we are outside half the time anyway, so yard matters a lot more.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:16 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,376,508 times
My wife and I are 86 and 88, and live in a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level (no basement) contemporary home. We like the views we have from all side on our 5 acres across the county road from the best part of the city. We like he peace and quiet, being far enough from neighbors we do not have to listen to their noise that so many complain about on these threads.

We have a large media room with a very large TV, with a dedicated Computer to stream from our Internet. We have an office space just off the entry for two computers.

Our kids and grand kids can come and we have room for them to stay with us. We can open up the dining tables, and have one for adults and one for great grand children, where we can watch the kids table.

As my wife and I are too old to run up and down stairs all day, we have installed 3 different chair lifts, so we just sit down and ride between floors. We have a true Terrace, for outdoor entertaining.

We have a home that is appreciating about $50,000 per year, and is truly the most unique and without counting a basement in some have which we do not have, is the largest home in town and everyone around has seen it, and wonders who owns that home. Right now it is a great investment, and is appreciating at a good rate and there almost no homes for sale in town and right around it. You can count them on your hands, there are that few, and there is a demand for homes, and they are never on the market for more than a week or two when they hit the market.

One of these days we will have to sell when we reach the point, but before we do, I will bring our property into the city, then keeping one acre which is landscaped for our home, and cut off 8 half acre lots which will sell rapidly giving me a half million plus profit off of them. As I spent from 1972 until I retired in the real estate business and have developed land before, and know what I am doing, I know that half million plus is sitting there waiting for me to claim it.

So we look at this property as a cash machine. We live very comfortable in the meantime, and will put the proceeds of the sale of this property into a trust to go to our children when we are gone.

We have a housekeeper that comes in 3 days a week to keep the home clean and maintained, and a man that takes care of the yard and exterior using out equipment. Without them, we could not keep the house. If we lose them, there are others in the area that would like their jobs. Sure $20 an hour for help, is not for everyone's budget, but it is O.K. for ours. We are both in good health, and our doctors tell us we are the healthiest couple of our age in their practice.

My question is, why would someone like us with a home we love, downsize? It would do away with having our children come home for a nice visit with room enough for all, and a place our grandchildren can come and bring the great grandchildren.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:01 PM

8,594 posts, read 2,402,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The house is also pretty much fully furnished too.

I'm not worried about resale, people around here like bigger homes on bigger lots.
Yes they do - and no problem for you if you can afford it.

But, in the larger picture, a Texan uses 3X the energy per capita as our most efficient states...and much of that is due to two things - house and vehicle sizes.

Energy, in a sense, is the currency of our times - to say nothing that twice the energy = twice the air pollution.

But, of course, you personally downsizing won't change a single thing. It's a big picture type of situation.

Here in New England we've changed the building codes about 4 times since 2000 (and they were already strict), so if you build a new 3,000 sf house, utility bills will be amazing inexpensive (considering our winters). An older 1200 sf house may use more energy than a new 3K ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or