Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
the OP said big home, i misread it the first time too.
Ah good catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
I always thought having both a family room and a living room seemed a bit...redundant.

In any case, to me, the "American Dream" of homeownership isn't necessarily the idea of being able to own a big house, but being able to own to own what works best for you.

What I find cozy and charming, some might call a shoebox (if they're used to giant "McMansion" homes). All in the eye of the beholder.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Here's one representative example:
It's one family in one house. It's not a representative example.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Dining rooms and porches are wasted space.
In your house. Not in others. We eat in our dining room three or four times a week. It is the nicest room in the house. I'm sorry yours doesn't suit you.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 06-06-2018 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:00 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
In your house. Not in others. We eat in our dining room three or four times a week. It is the nicest room in the house. I'm sorry yours doesn't suit you.
Our dining room is also my sewing area. And library. And exercise area. Small house, rooms must do double or triple duty.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My house is only 1172 sq ft with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a single car garage. It was perfect for just me. However now that my son moved back in and his 9 year daughter spends every weekend here and every other week in the summer, it is definitely too small. I would love to get a bigger house but since I just bought this one and it's an older 2 bedroom, I don't expect it to be a simple thing to sell.

Hopefully my son will be able to find a better paying job and get his own place and then it will be fine again.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
They must have done that study in the winter. I am on my porch/outside longer than any other room in my house.

It is not surprising. Many rooms in most houses are not used. My MIL's house has 12 rooms total. She uses 3.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I have one of those big, unnecessary houses. And I love it. Do I use my formal dining room every day? Nope. But I love the heck out of it when we have family over. I love being able to have everyone in one room for meals when we need to. Do we use our game room much? No. But man do I love having it when one of my daughters has a sleepover. We also have a guest room and guest bathroom that aren't used much. But it makes hosting my in-laws every few months so much nicer. Everyone has some privacy, and they both have health issues, so they really need a real bed. Oh, and we are on our porch at least 3 nights a week

Do we use all of these rooms all the time? No. But we do use all of the rooms some of the time. And those times we do use them, they are wonderful to have.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
In our area big houses tend to sell for much less per sq ft than mid-sized or smaller ones. But this isn't true everywhere.

I've seen the change and think it relates to:
Family size...or family at all....
Energy Use
Common Sense as per the OP....

Living in New England now (originally from Mid-Atlantic), "show off" is a vastly smaller part of the equation than others places I have been. It's the Yankee Mentality (thrift, understatement, etc.).

When my parents visited from Florida they felt like they were in a different world because down there everyone (in wealthier areas) struts around like a proud peacock based on their car model or the building or development they live in. Plastic surgery is an everyday thing. So when they came up here and saw women without makeup, without breasts poking straight out and without Corniche Convertibles (Rolls), they were somewhat shocked...although they liked it.

We started out in 1200 Sq. Ft but after two kids moved to 1800. At the third kid we added a Master Suite and den and probably ended up at 2500. That worked out well with 5 and a dog.

We now own multiple houses (retired), but love our FL house which is 1150 Sq. Ft.
It works fine for the two of us and we can even have guests (2 or 3) for up to a week or so at a time without feeling too cramped.

But, yeah, in many areas demand for smaller places outpaces that for larger. This is due to it being older people who have a $$$...and during the Recession it was tough to get a mortgage! Older people usually do want to downsize...and yet will often pay much more per sq. ft. for a smaller place.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
I don't know what is considered a "large home" exactly, but according to that article, 2450 sq ft is now median. So I guess I'm relatively close to that. So, I guess that makes my home "not that large" then?

I spend a fair amount of time in every room. Other than my kids' rooms, we spend a good amount of time in the kitchen, dining room, office, living room, the backyard, etc etc. I guess that makes me feel good. I might have the perfect sized home for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate