U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,876,548 times

Advertisements

My agent vetoed more stuff than I did, lol. The inventory was incredibly low when I was shopping, so I was starting to get creative. He knew they were all things I'd regret if I did bring myself to purchase one of them, so he basically talked reason into me instead of humoring me and showing me the houses.

There are better agents out there. Ones who listen and know what you are looking for. Ditch yours and find one of the good listeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 AM

887 posts, read 463,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You are wise to not max out. Stand your ground.
(Wow. In the context of "real estate = the dirt" and "putting your foot down," that pun works on a couple of levels. )

I usually ask a client if that $200,000 price is absolutely rigid on the List Price, or if I can show them a house that ticked off all the boxes, if it is listed at $205,000 but I thought it can be acquired within their price range.
And, I would honor their response.

There is no excuse for the agent to try to push you past your comfort price range.
You are a good businessman then. Showing me something that is outside my price range or grossly outside of my requirements then you are wasting time for the both of us. Realtors also need to put their foot down sometimes too and say that the types of homes and/or conditions might not exist at a certain location at a certain price point. Obviously those with more money have more options, and some people can simply build-to-suit, but the average buyer of an average middle class home will have to make some sort of compromise regarding their wish list.

It should be good practice for real estate agents to have a chart they give to their buyers where they can insert a list of "needs", a list of "would likes", and a list of "absolutely nots". Then figure out their price point, figure out how flexible they can be on that, and see what you can do. For me I didn't really have a time frame so I could wait a little bit for what I wanted, but I wasn't all that picky anyway, just needed a roof and to not pay rent like the OP said.

I was also willing to be a little bit, but not too much, flexible on price. If a property was really, really, really worth it as well as a good bang-for-buck, I would stretch my budget, and I was in the same boat where I qualified for something like $320k when I was looking for homes under 250k at the most and ended up buying at ~225k. Just 4 walls and a roof and it happened to be in a great street in a good area which was one of my primary concerns (I'd lived around enough dirtbags in the apartments to have to do it more permanently, no thanks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or