U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 07:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 882,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What business is it of yours whether the buyer can afford your home? The lender agreed to lend them the money. As seller, you will get your money. As buyer, I don't need the seller judging my finances. You're a stranger to me. If we have a deal, that's all that matters.
It's absolutely my business if it's my house.

If I have any offer that is more attractive than a zero money down loan I will be taking it. This is the reality for many sellers who don't relish being caught up in red tape and missed closing. If your financial situation is not real enough to get a loan with conventional financing or pay cash and I have the opportunity to select a buyer who can, you absolutely are in a poor negotiating position. If you want to get the house you want you might want to consider a different loan vehicle. Putting nothing down sends a certain message and not a positive one.

I would take a better offer I had to wait for than an immediate one with zero down. I don't believe I dealing with buyers who cannot make a decent down payment.

Do buyers really not understand that this is part of what sellers take into consideration when looking at an offer? Someone needs to be giving them better advice...

Last edited by emotiioo; 06-09-2018 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 10:13 PM

9,323 posts, read 7,329,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
It's absolutely my business if it's my house.

If I have any offer that is more attractive than a zero money down loan I will be taking it. This is the reality for many sellers who don't relish being caught up in red tape and missed closing. If your financial situation is not real enough to get a loan with conventional financing or pay cash and I have the opportunity to select a buyer who can, you absolutely are in a poor negotiating position. If you want to get the house you want you might want to consider a different loan vehicle. Putting nothing down sends a certain message and not a positive one.

I would take a better offer I had to wait for than an immediate one with zero down. I don't believe I dealing with buyers who cannot make a decent down payment.

Do buyers really not understand that this is part of what sellers take into consideration when looking at an offer? Someone needs to be giving them better advice...
Take whatever deal you want. As a buyer, I don't give a rat's a about your thoughts on my finances. You don't have the only house for sale.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:24 AM

1,780 posts, read 882,155 times
Quote:
Take whatever deal you want. As a buyer, I don't give a rat's a about your thoughts on my finances. You don't have the only house for sale.
The point is that if you are a buyer, this is what some sellers think about your zero down offer. There's the strong possibility that in certain markets the seller might have multiple offers. I know it might be a wake up call to realize how your offer looks compared to others especially if your agent is not telling you that many sellers will be uncomfortable with it. There are definitely always other houses but they may not be what you want. As someone who has bought as well as sold many times I always want to make my offer as attractive as possible. Why else spend the time putting it in?

Old 06-10-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The point is that if you are a buyer, this is what some sellers think about your zero down offer. There's the strong possibility that in certain markets the seller might have multiple offers. I know it might be a wake up call to realize how your offer looks compared to others especially if your agent is not telling you that many sellers will be uncomfortable with it. There are definitely always other houses but they may not be what you want. As someone who has bought as well as sold many times I always want to make my offer as attractive as possible. Why else spend the time putting it in?
I decide what's right for me and I believe I'll find the right seller. I'm not going to worry about what I can't control (i.e. number of other offers). Again, I don't care about the overreach of sellers.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:07 AM

10,265 posts, read 14,121,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
As long as their RE agent can verify that they are preapproved for the loan and qualify it should not be a problem. If they financially burdened and their DTI ratio is tight and changes during underwriting you don't want to waste a month or more on something that may fall thru. Is it fair to the buyer? Life is not fair. If you want to sell them your house as a good deed if you have other offers beware the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished". It's my understanding that some sellers don't want to sell with people using VA loans because there are more hoops to jump thru for the seller and the buyer.

Pre-approved and Pre-qualified are two different steps in the process. Buyer should be pre-qualified up to the amount of the requested mortgage.

Pre-approved requires the buyer to be under contract signed by buyer and seller with before the bank can appraise the house and its expenses, closing costs etc. Buyers must provide proof of funds.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:27 AM

1,046 posts, read 714,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Pre-approved and Pre-qualified are two different steps in the process. Buyer should be pre-qualified up to the amount of the requested mortgage.

Pre-approved requires the buyer to be under contract signed by buyer and seller with before the bank can appraise the house and its expenses, closing costs etc. Buyers must provide proof of funds.
We wouldn’t dream of seriously looking for a home without a pre-approval. Nor would we deal with a buyer who is only pre-qualified.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

19,069 posts, read 10,102,251 times
Quote:
I decide what's right for me and I believe I'll find the right seller. I'm not going to worry about what I can't control (i.e. number of other offers). Again, I don't care about the overreach of sellers.
And buyers overreach when they ignore the fact that sellers have a legitimate basis to care about the process. I personally don't care if there is zero money down aside from the risk to me on whether the transaction will actually close on time, and there won't be additional hurdles that I have to jump through that may cost me time and money. Buyers who make offers that don't have those risks are going to be more attractive, period.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:20 AM

31,650 posts, read 55,416,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And buyers overreach when they ignore the fact that sellers have a legitimate basis to care about the process. I personally don't care if there is zero money down aside from the risk to me on whether the transaction will actually close on time, and there won't be additional hurdles that I have to jump through that may cost me time and money. Buyers who make offers that don't have those risks are going to be more attractive, period.

Cash deals and down payments are certainly not reliable predictors of an absence of drama and intrigue.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-10-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM

2,488 posts, read 1,733,797 times
The zero% down is not the seller's issue. It's the lenders issue. Take the highest cash (or bank-supplied-cash) offer with the least contingencies.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:33 PM

How often do deals with pre-approved buyers fall through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or