U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM

257 posts, read 199,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
It's not drama, it's fraud. Curtains and rods were in the contract? They need to come back. OP is dealing with children, or worse.

It's written down. That's it. Return or pay for new.
I don't think it's always fraud. When I bought my first house the sellers took all the curtains and rods (plus some shelves). I got some of the more expensive curtain rods back. And the sellers weren't trying to defraud me. They just had not read through the contract and just assumed as they had purchased the item that they could take it with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I finally closed on a house purchase and couldn't be happier although even though things have been very amicable with the sellers I have experienced something strange in a my opinion. I closed on the house a days ago and in the backyard behind the privacy fence were a few items the seller left behind, that I did not want & would end up disposing anyway but when I was in the back yard today I noticed the items were now gone. I feel that is pretty gutsy of the previous owners to come onto the property & take items as technically those items are now my property.

I feel I was pretty forgiving on the closing because during my final walk through the sellers had removed the curtains and rods (hardware), mounted speakers and attempted to take another item but on that item I put my foot down but to come back after the close and take property seems like theft to me.
I could have been a real stickler on the curtains etc since it was written in the contract those items were part of the sale but this latest is now pissing me off. Very glad I had the locks changed to the house & security system armed otherwise who knows. What's interesting to me is this is a very nice neighborhood were you wouldn't think folks would be so petty.
If there has been communication all around that you aren't going to do anything about the curtains and you chose not to address it at the time then I think its best just to let that go.

As far as them removing their junk from the back if you have concerns about them coming back please call your agent and let them know what happened. It is a big question of why they think they can do these things. We don't know. It's worth a phone call, but if it were me I don't think I would involve the police if they have only removed stuff from the back you were gonna throw out anyway.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:35 AM

9,307 posts, read 11,142,948 times
I'd let it go.....since you were disposing of the stuff anyway.

But 2 weird stories:

3mm house sells, house was vacant so everything there was going to the buyer. Morning of the closing the new owner did a driveby and noticed people there so he walks in (closing is in a couple hours so he didn't own it yet) and finds seller ordering employees to remove fans/drapes/blinds. He says "take all you want but I'm going to need 100K off the price" or I'm not closing. Seller was stunned and quickly stopped the removal. Buyer closed at full price but the seller didn't get to keep anything either.

Seller lost over 1mm on the sale but the buyer paid what it was worth at that time (currently it is a 6-7mm house, 8 years later).

2nd house was sold partially furnished. 1mm sale and the patio furniture goes missing. Seller didn't end up taking it and makes an offhanded comment to the buyer that despite what the contract said (it was previously excluded) he ended up leaving the patio furniture. Buyer gets there only to find it was missing. Buyer calls seller, seller calls agent. Apparently the agent realized it wasn't included and took it for himself without telling anyone. Agent sheepishly returns the furniture without any explanation for the "theft"......crazy! Reputation tarnished for used patio furniture?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd let it go.....since you were disposing of the stuff anyway.

But 2 weird stories:

3mm house sells, house was vacant so everything there was going to the buyer. Morning of the closing the new owner did a driveby and noticed people there so he walks in (closing is in a couple hours so he didn't own it yet) and finds seller ordering employees to remove fans/drapes/blinds. He says "take all you want but I'm going to need 100K off the price" or I'm not closing. Seller was stunned and quickly stopped the removal. Buyer closed at full price but the seller didn't get to keep anything either.

Seller lost over 1mm on the sale but the buyer paid what it was worth at that time (currently it is a 6-7mm house, 8 years later).

2nd house was sold partially furnished. 1mm sale and the patio furniture goes missing. Seller didn't end up taking it and makes an offhanded comment to the buyer that despite what the contract said (it was previously excluded) he ended up leaving the patio furniture. Buyer gets there only to find it was missing. Buyer calls seller, seller calls agent. Apparently the agent realized it wasn't included and took it for himself without telling anyone. Agent sheepishly returns the furniture without any explanation for the "theft"......crazy! Reputation tarnished for used patio furniture?
I had buyers agent wrongly assume something like that and take a refrigerator left in a garage. This was days before closing. Sellers friend came to get the refrigerator they bought and it was gone. The shame was that the only thing that happened was that this agent was forced to pay for the refrigerator they stole. It really is just stealing and nothing else and you should have to forfeit you real estate license in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:00 PM

1,326 posts, read 527,514 times
Quote:
There is a privacy fence- the items were INSIDE the privacy fence meaning someone opened the gate, entered the backyard to retrieve the items. These items were not the kind people would steal.

My point is once you close on a house any items left behind are no longer yours- yes a call to the agent requesting items is fine and respectful but to just go into the new property owner's back yard is disturbing.

It's the point of feeling creeped out, what if I had been in the back yard and they just let themselves in? who knows.
Maybe you weren't home and they knocked on the door and since they were there they took what WAS their's. Let it go, that and the curtain rods. Yes, it would have been nice if they perhaps told you at closing that they left some stuff piled up but would be back to get it but they didn't. Secure your gate with a lock.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:04 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
I finally closed on a house purchase and couldn't be happier although even though things have been very amicable with the sellers I have experienced something strange in a my opinion. I closed on the house a days ago and in the backyard behind the privacy fence were a few items the seller left behind, that I did not want & would end up disposing anyway but when I was in the back yard today I noticed the items were now gone. I feel that is pretty gutsy of the previous owners to come onto the property & take items as technically those items are now my property.

I feel I was pretty forgiving on the closing because during my final walk through the sellers had removed the curtains and rods (hardware), mounted speakers and attempted to take another item but on that item I put my foot down but to come back after the close and take property seems like theft to me.
I could have been a real stickler on the curtains etc since it was written in the contract those items were part of the sale but this latest is now pissing me off. Very glad I had the locks changed to the house & security system armed otherwise who knows. What's interesting to me is this is a very nice neighborhood were you wouldn't think folks would be so petty.
Send them a thank you card for saving you the aggravation.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:52 PM

7,758 posts, read 6,114,541 times
what Silverfall said. It's just the easiest and least complicated/adversarial. Being adversarial isn't doing you any good.

And without further information from the OP, it's possible they went straight from the closing to the house before you got there, and got the rest of the stuff. And did so before the house was maybe legally yours (recordation or other measure specific to your state).

Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM

9,307 posts, read 11,142,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I had buyers agent wrongly assume something like that and take a refrigerator left in a garage. This was days before closing. Sellers friend came to get the refrigerator they bought and it was gone. The shame was that the only thing that happened was that this agent was forced to pay for the refrigerator they stole. It really is just stealing and nothing else and you should have to forfeit you real estate license in my opinion.
That weasel Beverly Hills agent Josh Flagg stole some artwork from a listing and he is still working too!

https://la.curbed.com/2009/7/9/10537...-investigation

Old 06-11-2018, 05:13 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
well my sister bought a house and the previous owners tried to enter the house again , only they did not know the big bad german shepherd dog was in the house and he bit the woman and they tried to sue my sister and she told them go ahead and I guess they found out they did not have a legal leg to stand on . It seems they entered the house illegally and therefore it was breaking and entering . im glad all this worked out for you OP . you just reminded me of that incident .

Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 331,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Send an email and call your agent. They need to inform the seller agent, home owners, broker that any more tresspassing will involve a call to the Police.
I think this is the way to go. A courtesy call from buying agent to selling agent, who it turn makes a courtesy call to their client stating that the time for property retrieval has closed. What's there is left there. No further contact will be allowed with the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or