U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:17 PM

995 posts, read 286,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Change is often a time of heightened emotions and stress...

For 40 years a retired neighbor... he is 92 helped out the disabled man down the street... pulled his waste cans to the curb on pick up day and back after pick up... he brought the newspaper to the front door early when he went for his walk and hand watered some of the plants during heat waves.

A young couple bought the home and "Caught" old Al moving a garbage can to the backyard the week of closing...

The wife went off on old Al... said he had no right in her backyard and when he said he had been putting the trash cans out for 40 years she flatly told him they don't need any help and can manage their own affairs...

Al took it really hard... and more than a few times he had to catch himself from bringing the paper to the front door.

Sure enough... when the first summer heat wave hit... the flowers were decimated... the buyer said no one told them they had to hand water???

I have bought and sold many times... always go in with an open mind... often I have benefited immensely simply by being friendly.

Each neighborhood has a history and community... the first impression can set the tome for decades making it even more important to be measured and certain with accusations.

And... yes, I have put a padlock on gates and always change out the locks and garage door codes.

I have emergency keys for many of my neighbors and they do for me... might not ever need them but sure glad old Al had my key when I was over seas and a pipe broke... he saw water coming from the garage when he was on his daily 6 am walk... turned off the water, went home and got his key and found the problem... mopped it all up and set up fans...
Well, if Al is still around, let him know you've been telling people how great a neighbor and friend he is and people admire and respect that and wish he was their neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM

25,882 posts, read 49,817,806 times
Will do... his unofficial title is mayor...

About 25 years ago the State sprayed malathion from helicopters... it left a sticky residue on anything that was out... Al when up and down the street rinsing neighbors cars...

It's great to live where neighbors are caring... older retired folks are great to have around... they keep an eye on things and accept UPS packages!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM

995 posts, read 286,943 times
Quote:
Will do... his unofficial title is mayor...

About 25 years ago the State sprayed malathion from helicopters... it left a sticky residue on anything that was out... Al when up and down the street rinsing neighbors cars...

It's great to live where neighbors are caring... older retired folks are great to have around... they keep an eye on things and accept UPS packages!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:04 PM

7,042 posts, read 5,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
There's the right way of doing things and the wrong way of doing things, that's all I'm saying.
Agree 100%. And they were wrong not to, at the least, call ahead. And Its normal that you feel a little weirded out. But, at the same time, I don't think those items were your property, but that's neither here nor there.

Even still, you don't know that it wasn't the guy they hired to come and take it away who was running late.

At the same time, you don't need to hire a Navy Seal to perform the duties of a WalMart Greeter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I agree completely. "They used to live there", as if this is some sort of free pass to wander around the property again. What if they come back 6 months from now, but don't worry, they used to live there. lol
There's a difference between "free pass" and "mitigating circumstance."
Quote:
Change is often a time of heightened emotions and stress...

For 40 years a retired neighbor... he is 92 helped out the disabled man down the street... pulled his waste cans to the curb on pick up day and back after pick up... he brought the newspaper to the front door early when he went for his walk and hand watered some of the plants during heat waves.

A young couple bought the home and "Caught" old Al moving a garbage can to the backyard the week of closing...

The wife went off on old Al... said he had no right in her backyard and when he said he had been putting the trash cans out for 40 years she flatly told him they don't need any help and can manage their own affairs...
Its sad, there are some folks out there that don't have a modicum of tact. A simple, "Hello, can I help you?" might have done just fine.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:08 PM

943 posts, read 409,464 times
Quote:
I helped a neighbor at 101 sell her home... she gave me the washer/dryer for a family that could not afford one.

On the day of closing... I picked it up... the movers set the pair in the back yard behind the privacy fence.

The next day... all Hell Broke Loose.

The buyers called the agent, the agent called the selling agent who got in touch with the sellers daughter... who said they were given to the neighbor.

The contract was silent and the boxes not checked.

The buyers wanted $1000 for a 10 year old Kenmore Pair... never asked about having them back... just for cash.

Knowing no good deed goes unpunished... I went to the family where I dropped them off and returned them to the exact spot where I picked them up.

The Washer/Dryer remained outside all winter and as far as I know... they are still outside.

Someone from Church posted a free washer/dryer and I picked them up for the family... much nicer pair too.

Later I learned the buyer never intended to use them... just thought making a fuss would help her buy the set she wanted.

Again... Washer/Dryer not in contract.

The selling agent gave me the date when the pair had to be picked up and I needed a trailer... I picked them up on the date specified... which was the same day as closing.
Wow, what a witch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or