Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:38 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well my sister bought a house and the previous owners tried to enter the house again , only they did not know the big bad german shepherd dog was in the house and he bit the woman and they tried to sue my sister and she told them go ahead and I guess they found out they did not have a legal leg to stand on . It seems they entered the house illegally and therefore it was breaking and entering . im glad all this worked out for you OP . you just reminded me of that incident .
I remember reading about cases where would be theives have hurt themselves breaking into places and successfully sued the owners for damages. I never did understand how that was possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
The original owners came back and removed items that were junk that the OP didn't want anyway. Now there is nothing left for the original owners to take.

Let it go - you're making a big stink over nothing. Be grateful you don't have to lug the stiff to the street on garbage day or have to pay someone to take it to the dump.

This me, me, me - you're in my space has gone too far.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:16 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
There's the right way of doing things and the wrong way of doing things, that's all I'm saying.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:36 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Many people don't subscribe to the me, me policies that many want to hold us to today. Here they think they're doing the right thing - cleaning out all the garbage from the backyard so the OP doesn't have to do it and they get crucified for it.

Everyone today is ready to jump down everybody else's throat these days for not following the current protocol. We're talking about a backyard - not going into the house and removing anything. Waste people's time calling their realtor - then calling the other realtor who then has to call the former owners for an incident that happened once and offended the OP and will never happen again as the previous owners have moved on. People make drama these days just to have things to complain about. Try thinking about the positive instead of the negative and being leery of everyone's intentions.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So I have had sellers leave items behind because they ran out of time that they intended to come back and remove. It was discussed with the buyer that they would be back the next day to get them. Personally, I think it is creepy that you weren't aware they were coming back. They did the right thing and removed their stuff, but they went about it disrespectfully by not discussing it with you.

I'm with Mike that a simple note from your buyer agent to the listing agent that says, "Please thank the sellers for removing their stuff from the property. I want to confirm that they have everything out since I'm living in the house now. I just want to know if they need to come back on the property for anything. Just have them call me if they forgot something."
That’s a very classy way to handle it

Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 AM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Many people don't subscribe to the me, me policies that many want to hold us to today. Here they think they're doing the right thing - cleaning out all the garbage from the backyard so the OP doesn't have to do it and they get crucified for it.

Everyone today is ready to jump down everybody else's throat these days for not following the current protocol. We're talking about a backyard - not going into the house and removing anything. Waste people's time calling their realtor - then calling the other realtor who then has to call the former owners for an incident that happened once and offended the OP and will never happen again as the previous owners have moved on. People make drama these days just to have things to complain about. Try thinking about the positive instead of the negative and being leery of everyone's intentions.
I wanted our agent to get as worked up as we were, after closing on our first house and then finding an ENORMOUS amount of several massive Newfoundlands' dog $hi+ ALL OVER the yard. Yeah, we'd gone through the house... but didn't think to check the yard, as there wasn't any at all during any of the showings.

First day at the new house... three small children running around their new yard... slipping and falling into just an unspeakable amount of dog $hi+.

Agents all said there was nothing to do. I wanted those nasty sellers to come back and pick up every last turd. Nope. I swear to God, they hadn't picked up a single one since our offer was accepted.

Let it go, OP.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
There's the right way of doing things and the wrong way of doing things, that's all I'm saying.
As someone else asked, how do you know the previous owners are responsible??

Old 06-12-2018, 07:44 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
I wanted our agent to get as worked up as we were, after closing on our first house and then finding an ENORMOUS amount of several massive Newfoundlands' dog $hi+ ALL OVER the yard. Yeah, we'd gone through the house... but didn't think to check the yard, as there wasn't any at all during any of the showings.

First day at the new house... three small children running around their new yard... slipping and falling into just an unspeakable amount of dog $hi+.

Agents all said there was nothing to do. I wanted those nasty sellers to come back and pick up every last turd. Nope. I swear to God, they hadn't picked up a single one since our offer was accepted.

Let it go, OP.
Now this is something I never would have thought about. Actually, very good to consider on inspection but even in a contract. Never ever had this happen but I really don't want there to be a first time even as much of an animal lover as I am.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
I'm not sure in the OPs case, but curtain rods and curtains can be very expensive and if you have a lot of windows, this could equal a decent chunk of change. As for the stuff in the back yard, what the sellers did would be considered theft. Of course, you might turn a blind eye since you didn't want the stuff anyways.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I finally closed on a house purchase and couldn't be happier although even though things have been very amicable with the sellers I have experienced something strange in a my opinion. I closed on the house a days ago and in the backyard behind the privacy fence were a few items the seller left behind, that I did not want & would end up disposing anyway but when I was in the back yard today I noticed the items were now gone. I feel that is pretty gutsy of the previous owners to come onto the property & take items as technically those items are now my property.

I feel I was pretty forgiving on the closing because during my final walk through the sellers had removed the curtains and rods (hardware), mounted speakers and attempted to take another item but on that item I put my foot down but to come back after the close and take property seems like theft to me.
I could have been a real stickler on the curtains etc since it was written in the contract those items were part of the sale but this latest is now pissing me off. Very glad I had the locks changed to the house & security system armed otherwise who knows. What's interesting to me is this is a very nice neighborhood were you wouldn't think folks would be so petty.
The items you mention are not considered real property. Unless they were specifically listed on the sales contract as "staying", the previous owner has every right to take them because they are personal property. Your Realtor(r) should have explained this to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate