U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM

2,950 posts, read 4,939,083 times

Advertisements

What housing shortage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM

400 posts, read 119,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes you have been misinformed. Many have. Most intentionally so.

There's an active community of blogger types currently perpetuating that error.
MW was intended only as a floor for the dollar amount to be guaranteed (without union help etc).

Live with someone else... like family. Or a friend. Or a working spouse.
Or in a boarding house of some sort.

Target one WEEKLY net paycheck to cover all MONTHLY housing expenses.

I am single, with 2 room mates. works out well, I could eat mortgage alone but why?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM

98 posts, read 40,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
they should develop some skills/a trade that pays more, for starters. If one wants to do "the minimum" in life, then one should expect the minimum throughout their life. Minimum pay, minimum success, minimum learning and personal growth. minimal future.

And i worked jobs in high school and college that started at the minimum wage, and at least 2 that never paid more than.
Incredibly ableist.

So if all you can do - let’s say you’re like me and had a brain injury in your 20s, thanks to brain tumors, only it was more severe than mine - is flip burgers or perform customer service or whatever, and you do it well and reliably, you aren’t supposed to have any quality of life?

#apagewhereallyoucansayisyikes

Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 PM

98 posts, read 40,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes you have been misinformed. Many have. Most intentionally so.

There's an active community of blogger types currently perpetuating that error.
MW was intended only as a floor for the dollar amount to be guaranteed (without union help etc).

Live with someone else... like family. Or a friend. Or a working spouse.
Or in a boarding house of some sort.

Target one WEEKLY net paycheck to cover all MONTHLY housing expenses.
1. Didnít ask about how to budget housing, what condescension here!

2. Didnít say anything about being entitled to afford living alone. I had roommates almost until I was married.

3. Youíre not doing a spectacular job of dismantling this particular ďmyth,Ē though, just by saying it is one. How did they campaign for the minimum wage, what were the promises about it? Sources?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:17 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,420,764 times
As long as I can remember 40 workweek was kind of the standard when you became an adult. Minimum wage was never a part of that. Minimum wage had always applied to part time jobs held by teenagers while going to school. After school they would move on to higher paying full time jobs making room for the next group of kids.
Somewhere along the way immigrants with no skills started talking those minimum wage jobs and making them into full time.
Back in California those are the ones working fast food places. Except for a few places like in n out, most teens don't work minimum wage jobs anymore.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 PM

32,831 posts, read 30,118,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What housing shortage?
The fabricated one of 2000 square feet homes with 1960 prices.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:31 PM

26,916 posts, read 58,068,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBat View Post
3. You’re not doing a spectacular job of dismantling this particular “myth,” though...
I don't have to. Besides... it's been done before. Do some googling.

It's up to the folks who came up with the new interpretation ('living wage') to show that their preferred world view
is what was intended in the 1930's ...rather than what was written then or the terms in common use since then.
Getting it yet?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 PM

7,803 posts, read 6,160,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBat View Post
Incredibly ableist.

So if all you can do - letís say youíre like me and had a brain injury in your 20s, thanks to brain tumors, only it was more severe than mine - is flip burgers or perform customer service or whatever, and you do it well and reliably, you arenít supposed to have any quality of life?

#apagewhereallyoucansayisyikes
yikes indeed. holy off the tracks, Batman.

I would suppose under such a rare circumstance that yes, the quality of life you'll have - if you're completely independent of family or social resources - would be lessened. I don't believe that I said one was not allowed "any" quality of life. And I also doubt if the job one does gets paid at minimum wage forever when it is done "well and reliably".

Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 PM

5,967 posts, read 7,517,582 times
Houston is handling it properly. Let the free market work, no zoning to prevent or require high density housing. Shortages like this are caused by mans attempts to game a market which always has unintended consequences like shortages and not affordable prices for the typical working wage in that city.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:38 PM

8,401 posts, read 7,400,201 times
The most important factor allowing lower priced housing, is three fold.

1: Availability of land/lots to build housing on. Silicon Valley where we raised our family, we paid $13,750 for a home in Cupertino in 1956. It was not the cheapest which started at about $9,999, Today they are reselling those $10,000 homes for $1,250,000 and up. People are paying that kind of price, and tearing the house down. They bought the house, to get the lot for a place to build. Due to the lack of buildable land is the problem.

2: The price of land to build, and the cost of developing lots to build on. In many areas, there is a shortage of land, so prices have gotten so high, they cannot afford to build low priced housing on it.

3: Local regulations and laws that control the housing market. Some cities have laws and regulations coupled with huge fees and costs before you do anything to develop a parcel of land.

Try to even consider building in many areas and cities in the nation housing for the masses, and you are shot down from day 1. You simply cannot buy land, develop it and pay the local government huge amounts in fees and other costs, including the cost of taking a year or more to get a permit to even start clearing the land you want to develop, and build low priced housing for the masses. The cost of the lot, plus costs for building permits, etc., are already higher than the poor and even average person in many areas can afford to pay for a completed home, condo, or rented apartment, and you have not even started to build at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or