U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 AM

32,151 posts, read 39,236,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I laughed when I saw the thread title. I have an knitted afghan artfully draped over one corner of my sofa, but I'm not trying to sell my house.

It's just that, well, the cats so scratched the hell out of the couch over the years that there's a big hole with the stuffing coming out. Someone I don't know that well was stopping by, and I wanted to cover the hole.
I guess as far as having an afghan/blanket draped over the back of a couch goes, once again Mrs. NBP and I seem to be ahead of a trend as we've had one or another over a couch back for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 03:51 AM

289 posts, read 161,787 times
Better than the blanket on the wall like they did in the 1970s, or what they do in Russia by putting rugs on the walls.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 AM

1,744 posts, read 706,991 times
Right now on the back of my (boring) black futon, I have an afghan I made, a 150+ year old woven coverlet, and three pashmina shawls (I find I can't stop buying them in thrift stores). Plus 8 pillows. No, nothing is for sale, I live in a rental.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:37 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,040,692 times
I have afghans all over the place....one, my grandma crocheted for me back in the 1990s. Lovely soft blue color. My mom knit a couple for me as well. I like them--extra warmth when I need it. I don't care what anybody else thinks about 'em.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
I have a throw on the back of my couch covering up a split in the leather, another one artfully positioned on the loveseat and one casually thrown on the back of a chair. Since my couch & loveseat are leather, the throw keeps the pillow from sliding off. I also have one in my bedroom folded on the footboard.

I am frequently cold and use them quite often.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM

931 posts, read 405,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Another "accessory" that has seen too much exposure are those giant wall clock faces, or lettering. Just what is it people expect from a 24 inch wall display of calligraphy anyway? A touch of sophistication? Proof the homeowner can read?
Hey donít knock it - word has it that most schoolchildren these days canít read analog clocks anymore

Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM

51,333 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Hey don’t knock it - word has it that most schoolchildren these days can’t read analog clocks anymore
LOL, my dd is now 26, and when she was in high school, one of her friends couldn't tell time. Not only did she not know how to read an analog clock, I don't think she could really read the digital ones, either. If, for example, it was 2:38, and you asked her what time it was, she would look at the clock and say, "38".

I wouldn't put a big analog clock on my wall, either, but then again, some people think it's cool to have a sundial in the garden.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 AM

1,744 posts, read 706,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Another "accessory" that has seen too much exposure are those giant wall clock faces, or lettering. Just what is it people expect from a 24 inch wall display of calligraphy anyway? A touch of sophistication? Proof the homeowner can read?

How about the giant metal stars on the outside of the house ? I never understood that.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:28 AM

649 posts, read 230,512 times
This thread has given me a good chuckle. When my husband and I were househunting 6 years ago in a hot market, we saw some hilariously contrived staging jobs. Lots of what's been mentioned here. Sure, we have blankets on our couch for keeping warm, but there's a certain way that stagers place them that looks really affected. We saw a lot of flipped houses where the renos were not well done where the staging was of the same quality. So obvious and awkward, attempting to make us feel something. Or I suppose distract us from the horrible renos. I guess some people might be swayed by it?

We still laugh about one house - there was an ottoman in the living room with a brand new chess board, a fat picture book that had never been cracked open, and a tray with a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses. It was like an art school still life set. The house was not being lived in at the time.

The house we bought was mostly empty, they left some random furniture that didn't distract from the house. The house we bought before that was in its first hours on the market, and the owners hadn't even had time to tidy much, never mind clean. That was okay, we were buying the walls, floors and roof, not 'artfully' displayed bits and pieces.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 AM

3,156 posts, read 1,964,939 times
I don't know what it is but I much prefer a casually tossed afghan on the couch to a folded blanket perfectly aligned in the middle. There is something that screams grandma or 'low rent' to me about the perfectly folded back blanket. It reminds me of the Roseanne couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate