U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 AM

186 posts, read 63,515 times

Advertisements

We bought a place that was professionally decorated. There was a decorative throw on a chair and one on the back of a devan/couch cushion on each of the two devans/couches. They really made the room, they are beautiful and I still have them that way. We don't use them, they are part of the dťcor!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:33 AM

11,439 posts, read 19,473,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
My whole family sits around wrapped in blankets every day of the year. It's a coziness thing. So we have tons and tons of blankets sitting on our couches. We actually have to take them away if people are coming over. But, having one or two does lead to a sense of "homie-ness" that leads people to imagine themselves living in the home.

Personally, staging doesn't do anything for me -- and I've seen so many badly staged homes that I've thought the homes would have looked better empty. But my feeling is a definite minority. Most people who are buying homes base it purely on emotion, and when they walk through a home, it needs to feel inviting and warm, and they need to feel comfortable there. I can totally see how an artfully placed blanket would add to this feeling.

Yes, it's silly, but it works. (Even if you are one of the people who sees right through it.)
Since I hit menopause, I am find I am the most comfortable under a quilt, or afghan in cool air. No hot flashes, no sweats, just cozy. So mine arenít artful, they are made by me. One of the cats wrestled an afghan off the beanbag chair my husband loves, and nestled into it on the floor last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I keep mine closed so nobody has to look at the endless bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, face scrub, etc. in the tub/shower. I'm one of those weirdo's who wants my home to look like it's ready for a photographer to arrive from Architectural Digest. Never mind that I rarely get company.

As for the clock, I have a good sized one but it has Roman Numerals instead of numbers and my granddaughter doesn't know how to read them yet.
Bottles!! Made cleaning the tub a real pain. I solved that with a wonderful product from Canada. Aviva Shower Dispenser | Soap Shampoo Dispensers, Bath Organizers - Bath and Shower Accessories

All sorts of styles and configurations. Add a basket or shelf and all the clutter is gone. Iíve had mine for 16 years, one of the chambers started to leak, bought a replacement part, followed the instructions and fixed it easy peasy.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM

7,878 posts, read 10,173,311 times
How about the "freshly baked cookies" coming out of the oven as a stage. I'm sorry, but that's pretty ridiculous...unless they want to give me a few for stopping by.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 PM

17,820 posts, read 3,594,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
How about the "freshly baked cookies" coming out of the oven as a stage. I'm sorry, but that's pretty ridiculous...unless they want to give me a few for stopping by.

I had a fire going in the fireplace, music on low, apple cider on low on the stove top, smelling up the house.

The first couple commented on each one and bought the house in 2 weeks. How much it helped I don't really know but it didn't hurt...

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM

19,067 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Bottles!! Made cleaning the tub a real pain. I solved that with a wonderful product from Canada. Aviva Shower Dispenser | Soap Shampoo Dispensers, Bath Organizers - Bath and Shower Accessories

All sorts of styles and configurations. Add a basket or shelf and all the clutter is gone. I’ve had mine for 16 years, one of the chambers started to leak, bought a replacement part, followed the instructions and fixed it easy peasy.
I think my shower would look pretty weird with 6 of those things on the wall. I like to switch off shampoos and conditioners on a daily basis, and I also like to use a couple of different types of body washes because well, it's fun. So I have lots and lots of bottles.

I find the concept that shower curtains should be kept open kind of bizarre, actually. Unless you have especially nice tile work, showers aren't particularly attractive. Yet a shower curtain is bought specifically for the decorative element. So why scrunch up the attractive shower curtain just to display an unattractive tub?

Not that I even have a shower curtain in my own bath, because I have what I do consider nice tile work that gets shown off through a frameless glass shower door. I have a nice brushed nickel shelf unit to hold the bottles.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 PM

15,711 posts, read 8,787,561 times
I keep the shower curtain pulled because when the liner is bunched up, it develops mildew. Closing the curtain allows the fabric to dry completely, keeping it mildew-free.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:48 PM

4,264 posts, read 1,574,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'd like to make an album of cliche pieces in homes of the 2000's
Instead of an album, make a photo collage and hang THAT on the wall!

Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM

11,439 posts, read 19,473,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think my shower would look pretty weird with 6 of those things on the wall. I like to switch off shampoos and conditioners on a daily basis, and I also like to use a couple of different types of body washes because well, it's fun. So I have lots and lots of bottles.

I find the concept that shower curtains should be kept open kind of bizarre, actually. Unless you have especially nice tile work, showers aren't particularly attractive. Yet a shower curtain is bought specifically for the decorative element. So why scrunch up the attractive shower curtain just to display an unattractive tub?

Not that I even have a shower curtain in my own bath, because I have what I do consider nice tile work that gets shown off through a frameless glass shower door. I have a nice brushed nickel shelf unit to hold the bottles.
This is a perfect case of everyone is different.

Iím the exact opposite. Weíve used the same shampoo for years. Kiss My Face Big Hair something.

My curtain isnít decorative, itís plain clear vinyl, because otherwise itís dim in the shower, no light. And my bathroom is a very standard size old house bathroom. Itís three foot wide at the door, five feet wide at the tub. Keeping the curtain closed is very claustrophobic feeling.

And the cats want the tub spout on to drink from. The curtain gets in their way.

Reminds me of the time a coworker was complaining about cleaning her bathroom mirror a couple times a week. I couldnít imagine cleaning my bathroom mirror at all.

Her bathroom was large and separated, mine isnít. So daily, I get out of the shower and have to wipe my frameless mirror down with my towel, as does my husband. Hers never gets fogged up, and has a intricate frame that gets dusty from her powders and she brushes it with an old toothbrush and Windexes the glass twice a week.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 PM

10,262 posts, read 14,115,008 times
If the home is for sale, the golden rule is:

Shower curtain open or tied back, show spotless shower & tub, remove all items.

Toilet seat: DOWN !

If the home is not for sale and you're not expecting guests, anything goes, it's your palace.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 PM

5,802 posts, read 2,158,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Anyone else think it's hilarious that every staged house now seems to require an afghan artfully draped over a bed or sofa?

The first few times I saw it I thought it looked interesting. OK, actually I thought it looked messy and it's not a look I would ever do in my own house, but I just figured it was somebody's personal taste. These days, though, when every staged house has one it just screams "Hi! This house has been staged and we are obviously trying every trick to manipulate your emotions!"

The weirdest thing is, I'm not even sure what emotions they're trying to manipulate. What does the draped afghan convey? A feeling that you could picture yourself living there because the house is messy in just the same way you would be?

Same thing with the throw pillows all artfully chopped in the middle. Why did somebody start thinking this would sell a house, and... does it?
Actually I have a mohair Afghan that been always slung over a Rattan Peacock Chair that I inherited from my MOM. It get's used occasionally with visitors who get chilly feet or to cuddle with their kids...I always will treasure that item.. and don't give a Cr@p what observers might to assign it's rationale! It's always washed and kept dust free.. and after my mom's smell was gone.. It'd wash it more BUT the visual will always bring a comfortable memory for my self and my kids!

I apologize if any viewer gets offended!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I laughed when I saw the thread title. I have an knitted afghan artfully draped over one corner of my sofa, but I'm not trying to sell my house.

It's just that, well, the cats so scratched the hell out of the couch over the years that there's a big hole with the stuffing coming out. Someone I don't know that well was stopping by, and I wanted to cover the hole.
Thankfully no pets ( have had a few) have attacked my "Mom's" afghan, so other than the loss of HER personal smell.. IT looks like new to me!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate