Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, my dd is now 26, and when she was in high school, one of her friends couldn't tell time. Not only did she not know how to read an analog clock, I don't think she could really read the digital ones, either. If, for example, it was 2:38, and you asked her what time it was, she would look at the clock and say, "38".

I wouldn't put a big analog clock on my wall, either, but then again, some people think it's cool to have a sundial in the garden.
I like sundials.
And now that I've put giant maritime hourglasses in several rooms I feel I am really ahead of the curve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 05:08 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
How about the giant metal stars on the outside of the house ? I never understood that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstar

Old 06-15-2018, 06:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh, yeah. The only reason the shower curtain should be closed is when it’s wet so it doesn’t mold. As soon as it’s dry I open it.

I keep mine closed so nobody has to look at the endless bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, face scrub, etc. in the tub/shower. I'm one of those weirdo's who wants my home to look like it's ready for a photographer to arrive from Architectural Digest. Never mind that I rarely get company.

As for the clock, I have a good sized one but it has Roman Numerals instead of numbers and my granddaughter doesn't know how to read them yet.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
If you're draping an afghan because you live in the house and like it, that's different.

I'm just talking about staging houses. I get the point of staging, but some of the things people think you need to do strike me as silly.

If having an afghan draped over the corner of a bed (or sometimes a napkin draped over the corner a bar) is important, why does it have to go over the corner? That just looks so contrived to me. You could get a pop of color and just let it sit at the end of the bed, like people living in a house would actually do.

But like I said, if it sells houses why not.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
no one has mentioned the "fresh baked cookies for aroma" or "simmering spices in a hot pot" , both of which, I understand, will have prospective buyers lunging for their wallets.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
As for throws, a nice 'regular' folded ivory color lap blanket over the back of my black Hitchcock rocker looks very homey and useful. I can do without the HGTV fetishes. My pillows are always clean and fluffed, not wacked.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
no one has mentioned the "fresh baked cookies for aroma" or "simmering spices in a hot pot" , both of which, I understand, will have prospective buyers lunging for their wallets.
That’s such an overdone cliche, any buyer walking into that cookie/fresh bread/apple pie aroma-ed house is going to know you’re trying to manipulate them

Old 06-15-2018, 07:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Or a couple of aspirin !

Remember the candle rings on top of lamp bulbs? the worst.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:

Good ones! Hey, at least the buyers get cookies.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
My whole family sits around wrapped in blankets every day of the year. It's a coziness thing. So we have tons and tons of blankets sitting on our couches. We actually have to take them away if people are coming over. But, having one or two does lead to a sense of "homie-ness" that leads people to imagine themselves living in the home.

Personally, staging doesn't do anything for me -- and I've seen so many badly staged homes that I've thought the homes would have looked better empty. But my feeling is a definite minority. Most people who are buying homes base it purely on emotion, and when they walk through a home, it needs to feel inviting and warm, and they need to feel comfortable there. I can totally see how an artfully placed blanket would add to this feeling.

Yes, it's silly, but it works. (Even if you are one of the people who sees right through it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate