U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM

18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure this is as much a problem in the super-affluent suburbs of southwestern Connecticut. I am from that area and I have two family friends that own a landscaping business that serves New Canaan and other wealthy towns. They get their laborers mostly from the greater Bridgeport area and pay them a decent wage. They can do this because the residents of those towns do not necessarily look for the cheapest service like landscapers in more middleclass communities. The landscapers who have a problem finding workers do not want to pay them so they resort to illegals for labor. I am not saying some landscapers don't do this but my friends have a very successful business and are known for their quality and service which to many wealthy people is more important than saving a few pennies. Jay

On that score we are likely in agreement. Far better to use a service that pays decent wages and thus attracts better quality help, than use some guy who is picking up day labor off streets. I mean you don't know who those people are and you need to be careful who is on your property and or around the wife/kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:53 AM

18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
FSBO signs still allowed in Greenwich.

CT has net migration out - losing residents.

Ironically two top destinations for both persons and businesses fleeing Conn are NY and MA; hardly low tax and probably more "blue" than CT. So what gives? https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/532623/

Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 AM

7,773 posts, read 6,128,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the article said the ban was adopted by the Board of Realtors. (The town council could make it an ordinance after the trial period) Meaning only licensed Realtors would abide by the rule. What's to stop a FSBO from putting up their sign? Seems like it could make it easier for a FSBO.
an important distinction, and one I initially missed. It wasn't the town, it was the Board of Realtors.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 AM

24,593 posts, read 40,159,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ironically two top destinations for both persons and businesses fleeing Conn are NY and MA; hardly low tax and probably more "blue" than CT. So what gives? https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/532623/
Your point is well taken. This article was well discussed over on the Connecticut forum and is very misleading and dated. In fact it is downright wrong. Connecticut’s population has been hovering around 3.59 to 3.6 million since 2009. It goes up and down but not by much. Before 2009 the population hovered between 3.5 and 3.6 million. Hardly the loss the article has claimed. Also note Connecticut’s already high median income has been going up and the state has been adding people making $100,000 or more. If it was as bad as claimed this would not be the case.

Though GE closed its corporate campus in Fairfield, it only moved 200 employees to Boston. 600 were moved to nearby Norwalk. The move has barely been noticed. The article says that UBS left but that is not true. They still have a major office in downtown Stamford with several hundred employees. And the Aetna move of its corporate headquarters (a couple hundred of several thousand jobs) was canceled by CVS who now wants to stay in Hartford and expand there. The article also conveniently ignores that many major employers are expanding including Sikorsky, Electric Boat and UTC. Jay

Old 06-17-2018, 11:54 AM

3,799 posts, read 1,728,744 times
"Over the past three years, Connecticut’s population loss due to net domestic out migration is almost 30,000 per year."

Old 06-17-2018, 11:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 1,460,242 times
realtors just put the For Sale sign in the front window of the home instead of the yard. Doesn't really effect much.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
"Over the past three years, Connecticut’s population loss due to net domestic out migration is almost 30,000 per year."
According to the US Census website linked below, the population of Connecticut in 2010 was 3,574,114. In 2017 it is 3,588,184. That is an increase of 14,000, not a decrease of 90,000. As I said, that Atlantic article is full of misinformation. Jay

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/CT/PST045217

Old 06-18-2018, 01:45 PM

3,799 posts, read 1,728,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
According to the US Census website linked below, the population of Connecticut in 2010 was 3,574,114. In 2017 it is 3,588,184. That is an increase of 14,000, not a decrease of 90,000. As I said, that Atlantic article is full of misinformation. Jay

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/CT/PST045217
That was taken for a state of CT report. As much as you may love CT - people are leaving.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,402,948 times
***This is from a non-realtor's perspective. ***

When we were househunting, we looked online first and picked out many houses we liked. Then we drove the neighborhoods that these houses were in. Real Estate signs never really came into play for us.

My sister, on the other hand, was driving in our brother's neighborhood and came across a house with a real estate sign stating "coming soon". She had her agent contact the listing agent and they were able to make a deal without the house hitting any online listings.

Because of this, I see both sides, but I'm sure realtors can come up with more creative ways to mark a house for sale by using flags, balloons, window signs, etc.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
That was taken for a state of CT report. As much as you may love CT - people are leaving.
Like every state, there are people leaving Connecticut but there are also people moving in replacing them. My data is from the US Census which is linked. It is as accurate as anyone can get. If that data is from the state, please link the source. Otherwise it is wrong. That is why the article was discredited on the Connecticut forum. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate