U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,513 posts, read 50,852,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Write the offer with a deposit contingent on seeing the property.
I have done that, when moving from another state and was here alone. My offer was contingent upon my wife seeing it in person. She flew up and approved so we bought it. My concern would be getting them and their stuff out of the house so you can move in after it closes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 AM

31,686 posts, read 55,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have done that, when moving from another state and was here alone. My offer was contingent upon my wife seeing it in person. She flew up and approved so we bought it. My concern would be getting them and their stuff out of the house so you can move in after it closes.
I have had buyer clients, and buyers on listings, do it.

Buyers had to give up a $100 deposit to get a contract and viewing and had the right to walk away just down $100, but it worked.
Several years later they are still in the house.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 AM

1,673 posts, read 779,039 times
I've had experience buying a house from an elderly lady who didn't really want to sell. She threw every roadblock she could in our path to foul up the deal. If I had it to do over again, I would have backed out at the first sign of reluctance to sell.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 7,134,268 times
I don't think that the sellers are necessarily unmotivated. I do think that they are elderly and sick. That is their top priority.

Their agent needs to have a gentle conversation with them and convince them to allow showings while they are present and out of the way. The agent can make note of this in the MLS. It's not ideal but buyers need to understand that these are people too, not just sellers. It's in their best interest really.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM

24,321 posts, read 13,791,712 times
If you really want the house the idea of making an offer with deposit contingent on interior inspection is a good one , otherwise move on .

Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,559,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I don't think that the sellers are necessarily unmotivated. I do think that they are elderly and sick. That is their top priority.

Their agent needs to have a gentle conversation with them and convince them to allow showings while they are present and out of the way. The agent can make note of this in the MLS. It's not ideal but buyers need to understand that these are people too, not just sellers. It's in their best interest really.
It's up to the listing agent to help them by not listing their house or finding out what their needs are or who wants to sell and who can't or who won't. They are not doing anyone a favor by setting up showings that fall thru repeatedly. If the listing agent backs out then let the new listing agent know the situation. It's a lose lose situation for all involved.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,062,069 times
I have written an offer without seeing a house and made it contingent on a satisfactory inspection. There are cases where rather than be outbid while waiting to see it, a buyer would rather get an offer in. Can depend on how the market is at the time. In most transactions anyway there is the inspection contingency.

I don't understand what these sellers are thinking. Do they think a buyer will close on the transaction without seeing it? Do they realize that in order to sell it most likely at some point they will have to let people view it?

Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I have written an offer without seeing a house and made it contingent on a satisfactory inspection. There are cases where rather than be outbid while waiting to see it, a buyer would rather get an offer in. Can depend on how the market is at the time. In most transactions anyway there is the inspection contingency.

I don't understand what these sellers are thinking. Do they think a buyer will close on the transaction without seeing it? Do they realize that in order to sell it most likely at some point they will have to let people view it?
Yeah itís strange . If they are elderly then one would think theyíve sold a home before and understood the process .

On the plus side it seems like it could be a chance to get a good deal since it being difficult to see the place limits number of buyers but hard to say how motivated they are on price .

On market 90 days and itís been relisted several times is a long time especially these days . I know all markets are local but still .

Old 06-14-2018, 10:54 AM

258 posts, read 201,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah itís strange . If they are elderly then one would think theyíve sold a home before and understood the process .

On the plus side it seems like it could be a chance to get a good deal since it being difficult to see the place limits number of buyers but hard to say how motivated they are on price .

On market 90 days and itís been relisted several times is a long time especially these days . I know all markets are local but still .
Some of that depends on how long they have lived there. If they've lived there decades, then they probably don't understand the process. And if they don't want to sell, but need to financial or health reasons, that just makes the situation that much worse.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
Some of that depends on how long they have lived there. If they've lived there decades, then they probably don't understand the process. And if they don't want to sell, but need to financial or health reasons, that just makes the situation that much worse.
Yeah itís hard to say the situation . I guess one reason why itís nice to purchase or sell a vacant home and not have to worry about showings and drama .
Not practical for everyone though . Just makes things a lot ďcleanerĒ though .

I bought my home as an empty foreclosure and sold it vacant as I had already moved before listing it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or