U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 11:49 AM

356 posts, read 243,931 times

Advertisements

Thats a good laugh "make an offer based on the pics alone". Why do selling agents even put up with this BS from sellers?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 02:49 PM

9,526 posts, read 14,321,983 times
"Why do selling agents even put up with this BS from sellers?"

They OWN it. Try to remember this. It belongs to them. Like a stock, an automobile or an airplane, they are willing to sell it.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:51 PM

19,076 posts, read 10,110,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I have written an offer without seeing a house and made it contingent on a satisfactory inspection. There are cases where rather than be outbid while waiting to see it, a buyer would rather get an offer in. Can depend on how the market is at the time. In most transactions anyway there is the inspection contingency.

I don't understand what these sellers are thinking. Do they think a buyer will close on the transaction without seeing it? Do they realize that in order to sell it most likely at some point they will have to let people view it?
It's pretty clear they don't WANT to sell. They may NEED to sell but they definitely don't WANT do.

Aside from the concerns about not getting to see it, and how difficult the process could end up being if you made an offer that they accepted, I'd also worry about deferred maintenance. I'm guessing that as difficult as it's been for a potential buyer to get into to see it, it's been equally difficult for a contractor to get in to fix something, even assuming they made any effort to get things fixed.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 PM

1,799 posts, read 868,363 times
I am more inclined to think that their next move is assisted living, need the money from the sale and they are trying to delay that as long as possible. It's hard for them to let go of their independence, so they are probably avoiding the showings because if someone likes their place and offers on it, that puts them one step closer to giving up that limited independence they have at this point. I feel for the OP and I feel for the sellers.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM

8,858 posts, read 17,468,555 times
Lots of good advice on this thread. I like Mike J's creative suggestion.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 PM

13,752 posts, read 31,616,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OH - maybe I misunderstood and it's the sellers who declined the option of just staying home for the showing?

OK.... That's different than I thought in my answer above. I would still try to see if you can't make an appointment again where they just stay home, with their agent assisting if necessary. Try to make it easier on them and they may well appreciate that.

If I were the buyer agent, I would ask the listing agent to tell the sellers to stay. I'd offer to bring them lunch/dessert/coffee, some yummy treat to build rapport while we looked around. If they are ill, then it is likely they are struggling to leave their home and do what they need to do to move on. Selling your home to nice, caring people makes it easier.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 AM

29,977 posts, read 34,607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If I were the buyer agent, I would ask the listing agent to tell the sellers to stay. I'd offer to bring them lunch/dessert/coffee, some yummy treat to build rapport while we looked around. If they are ill, then it is likely they are struggling to leave their home and do what they need to do to move on. Selling your home to nice, caring people makes it easier.
Had a Buyer looking at a home owned by a crusty old Vet who was a heavy smoker. I could tell the guy was flat broke and he could barely walk.

Hate to say it but the several times we went to the house I picked up a pack of cigarettes for him. He actually looked forward to our visits from that point on since we came bearing a gift.

I was then his best bud.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:16 AM

31,652 posts, read 55,431,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Lots of good advice on this thread. I like Mike J's creative suggestion.
I like Silverfall's suggestion, too.

Just closed a FSBO where communication could have been smoother, but I didn't posture as the pro dealing with an inept seller.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 AM

9,142 posts, read 3,952,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If there’s this much difficulty just getting a showing....I hate to think what the entire sale process would be like.

Exactly! They don't act like they are serious about selling IMO.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM

13,752 posts, read 31,616,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! They don't act like they are serious about selling IMO.
See this is why I never see real estate agents going away. Selling a home is not easy for some people. Taking a hard line approach doesn't get people who are struggling emotionally or physically to get where they need to go. You can have compassion for people and work through it step by step, knowing it will be a different sort of transaction that requires creativity and patience.

If these buyers are genuinely interested in this home, they need to have creativity and compassion for the sellers and take things step by step and know it will be a difficult transaction. Not everyone can let go of their home easily, especially older people that might have to sell because of ill health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or