U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 12:39 PM

3,274 posts, read 1,729,466 times

Advertisements

It's like stocks. You need the money and can't wait out for it to go back up, so sell it. Here, evict him, cut losses and risk buying on a better stock, I mean renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM

4,693 posts, read 1,171,593 times
According to this site it takes a good minute to start the eviction process, so OP you should've started it a while ago
https://www.landlordology.com/tenant-eviction/

Be sure to keep us updated on how long he gets to live there rent free.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:55 PM

5,095 posts, read 3,798,035 times
If you are not able to collect past due rent or damages its better to work it out as a “soft eviction” rather than going thru the eviction process — if possible! Evictions are costly.

https://www.landlordology.com/cost-to-evict-a-tenant/

Old 06-16-2018, 02:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 6,247,031 times
Start eviction proceedings and sue in small claims court for any money owed, including late fees.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:54 PM

506 posts, read 200,670 times
Be careful that you follow the correct, legal eviction proceedings for your state/locale.

Years ago, my then-husband and I were out-of-state landlords for a short time, and eviction for non-payment and violation of several of the terms of the lease became necessary. Unfortunately, the process became exponentially more expensive and painful after we thought we could use a one-size-fits-all eviction letter template from the office supply store instead of finding out exactly how to evict someone in OH. The tenant actually countersued us, adding insult to injury and dragging out the process even further. All the while, she's living free of course. Lawyers on both sides loved it, I'm sure.

Trust me - you do not want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

P.S. When a young woman (I will not call her a lady) puts on the renter's application that she "works in entertainment," that means she is a stripper.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 06-16-2018 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 02:59 PM

24,764 posts, read 26,865,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
He owns a lot of stuff , good stuff from back when he was in better times , it's all on my property , jet skies and everything.
When l give him the boot , last resort might see if he wants to trade something for his rent owing , be better than getting nothing.
Like I said, he doesn't save for a rainy day (or year). That's catching up with him now. Lots of people never recover and fall further and further beind. They get older, can't find good paying employment any more. etc.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:58 PM

16,548 posts, read 17,630,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
Thanks for the tips and advice appreciated.
And to OT for going to that trouble of laying out the way you did things with all of your experience and also to scott.

Of course l know exactly what it costs me to hold the place l've owned it 15yrs but rents always cover it , even this guy has more than covered it 10 times over.

Anyway ok , been too lenient and listened to too much bs , got it.
l did kick him out once already 3mths back , well l gave him the choice get out by such n such or pay up.
He was pretty good about it apologized for the sitch and he came up with the money a week later sooo. He had some more work at the time said he should be right again from there.
Unfortunately few mths later here we are again.

Soooo , looks like l have to do it again then , so be it.
Cheers

Donít let your tenants financial issues become your financial issues. Treat it like a business.

I can guarantee you there are tenants who will expect you to immediately fix any issue, be available at any time to do repairs or fix a problem but expect leniency when it comes time to pay the rent on time.

As soon as a tenant is late three day pay or quit notice. No pay start eviction. If youíre gonna do this landlord business better start looking at your way of doing your business. Because truthfully the only person youíre really hurting is yourself. The tenant still has a roof over their head and a LL who doesnít enforce his rules.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 1,302,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Evict him and sell it. You aren't financially secure enough to have this property.

I agree sell the property and get the cash. Or if you want to continue being a landlord, with the next tenant don't give any slack on paying late. If they get behind evict.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:09 AM

7,147 posts, read 2,235,020 times
I didn't see anywhere that you indicated if this cabin is located on the same property where you live? If it is on separate property, it would be simpler to sell it, but if it's on the same lot where you live, it would have to be legally split before sale.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,409,971 times
Tell him you'll take the jet skis and all the cool expensive stuff in yard as the back rent at half market value pawn shop prices or you'll begin to formally evict him. Then go enjoy the local lake or sell it on CL. At least then you'll maybe get something out of this deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate