U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2018, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Oz
432 posts, read 145,027 times
Reputation: 413

Advertisements

l've got a little cabin l rent out , and l really depend on it's rent as part of my income , especially right now.

Trouble is , l've had a guy in there 2 yrs he's been good he's basically a good guy but he's fallen on real hard times last 12mths.
He use to pay close enough to on time but this last 7 8mths, he's been everywhere.
He still usually pays it but God knows when it comes in and in what amount and l've had to chase it a bit too.
He explained he lost his job then he smashed his car and bla bla bla but every time l text him asking when he's paying rent , he's a few mths behind now , he'll say he's got it right there or he's got a job payment coming in next week or bla bla bla some shyt but then l still don't see any rent wks or a month. Text him get more of the same stories. Driving me mad and l need the cash right now,
He's always aware of how much he owes and has a plan and it usually comes in but usually after 1 mth or 6 wks of bs and stories first.

So just kick him out right , well . not really , owes me a fair bit and l'd probably never see that money and there'll also be a 3 or 4 mths gap with nothing coming in from it because l have to do some work on it next and then find someone else.

l dunno what to do with him but l'm close to losing it so sick of the bs.
Ever been in a similar sitch , how did you handle it , them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2018, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
2,933 posts, read 2,402,108 times
Reputation: 3372
Evict him and sell it. You aren't financially secure enough to have this property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 AM
 
24,750 posts, read 26,817,884 times
Reputation: 22747
This is why I'm not a landlord. I don't think I would be good at dealing with issues like this. He may be a good person, but he, like most people, doesn't know how to save for a rainy day; so his problems quickly become yours.

I think there's a good chance he'll get further and further behind on the rent, so if you really need the rent, then you have to evict him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,060 posts, read 2,889,244 times
Reputation: 7315
Small claims court on the back owed rent and eviction. Pretty simple, it’s business. And if you actually cannot afford a few months without that cash coming in you should sell it. Real estate will always need repairs and garnish other expenses. If the money is that tight you should probably sell the property and put the cash is a safer investment that provides you a small monthly cash flow. But as a landlord, I do not feel bad evicting ANYONE who routinely does not pay the rent. He is taking advantage of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 04:08 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,876 posts, read 57,944,657 times
Reputation: 29313
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
...but he's fallen on real hard times last 12mths.
The 'gold standard' is this:
If he applied to rent it TODAY ...would he qualify?

Quote:
l dunno what to do with him but...
You know. You just don't like it.

Quote:
So just (initiate the legal eviction process) , well . not really ,
Yes really. You should have done this months ago.
And you know that too.

Quote:
...owes me a fair bit and l'd probably never see that money
That's a given.

But if you legally evict then you'll also be able to get a Judgment and you might see some cash one day.
Don't delay any further.


To avoid losing even more time... start doing those needed repairs now.
Maybe he'll actually move out promptly. Then Sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,633 posts, read 55,362,882 times
Reputation: 30188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Evict him and sell it. You aren't financially secure enough to have this property.
There it is. It's a harsh truth.

Always a decision for a landlord:
If the tenant doesn't pay, are you willing to, and can you afford to, subsidize their lifestyle?
No and No?
Get rid of the tenant and the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Oregon
796 posts, read 1,336,650 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
l've got a little cabin l rent out , and l really depend on it's rent as part of my income , especially right now.

Trouble is , l've had a guy in there 2 yrs he's been good he's basically a good guy but he's fallen on real hard times last 12mths.
He use to pay close enough to on time but this last 7 8mths, he's been everywhere.
He still usually pays it but God knows when it comes in and in what amount and l've had to chase it a bit too.
He explained he lost his job then he smashed his car and bla bla bla but every time l text him asking when he's paying rent , he's a few mths behind now , he'll say he's got it right there or he's got a job payment coming in next week or bla bla bla some shyt but then l still don't see any rent wks or a month. Text him get more of the same stories. Driving me mad and l need the cash right now,
He's always aware of how much he owes and has a plan and it usually comes in but usually after 1 mth or 6 wks of bs and stories first.

So just kick him out right , well . not really , owes me a fair bit and l'd probably never see that money and there'll also be a 3 or 4 mths gap with nothing coming in from it because l have to do some work on it next and then find someone else.

l dunno what to do with him but l'm close to losing it so sick of the bs.
Ever been in a similar sitch , how did you handle it , them.
can you do some of the work on it now?

Does this guy have something wrong with him? maybe he needs to apply for some benefits like disability,or rent help. Is there no steady employment for him? is he on drugs?

I think you should tell him that he needs to do better, and pay on time. At least he should know for sure he has to pay by the grace period. If you do give notice, give him plenty of it so he doesn't become homeless or less likely to be .
I think he needs some problem solving since he's having money/ health troubles or no work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
8,852 posts, read 17,453,334 times
Reputation: 6212
I have 2 expectations of my tenants and if they don't meet them I get them out of the house asap.
1-Pay on time
2-Maintain the condition of the home

What are your expectations and what will you do if the tenant doesn't meet them? It's been 12 months. How much longer are you going to float a deadbeat tenant? Really, he hasn't been able to find any work at all in 12 months? For half the time he's been there he's been bad about making payments. Come on, quit being a sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
8,852 posts, read 17,453,334 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
I think you should tell him that he needs to do better, and pay on time. At least he should know for sure he has to pay by the grace period. If you do give notice, give him plenty of it so he doesn't become homeless or less likely to be .
I think he needs some problem solving since he's having money/ health troubles or no work.
It's been 12 months. How much of a grace period does he need at this point?

You can't just throw someone's possessions in the street. You have to evict them and that doesn't happen overnight. He'll have plenty of time to figure it out. Likely when he receives the eviction notice he'll pack up and move out in the middle of the night never to be heard from by the OP again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 07:43 AM
 
10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
Reputation: 10857
You let it go too far and have been too lenient. Tell him to find the money and catch up or you will have to evict him and it will be on his record. Tell him to get another part time job, to borrow from his family. The best way to get a judgement from his is to evict him, If he moves it will be harder. Otherwise tell him to move out that you can't afford to pay his rent for him that you are not his father and that you need the money and you are not running a charity....anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top