U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 AM

977 posts, read 424,464 times

Advertisements

I bought a 3/2 house with a large bonus room over the garage. The bonus room has an alcove. I mentioned to my agent when we were looking at the house that I would add a wall with a door to turn the alcove into storage closet. She remarked that with a closet it could be called a 4 bedroom when I go to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I bought a 3/2 house with a large bonus room over the garage. The bonus room has an alcove. I mentioned to my agent when we were looking at the house that I would add a wall with a door to turn the alcove into storage closet. She remarked that with a closet it could be called a 4 bedroom when I go to sell.
I would never take an agent's advice and that agent is foolish. If the town has it listed as a 3/2 and you even verbally tell them it's a 4/2 they can buy it and sue the seller to pay for permits or bring it to code to make it a 4/2 on the town records. My agent told me that if a listing says there is a new roof and it was not permitted and there is no record of a new roof put in, or you can tell it's a patch job or it leaks right after or, the homeowner doing it themselves in an area where it's not allowed then the homeowner is going to have to buy you a new roof after you close. I would also think the RE agent may be responsible with their error and omissions policy. So I would ask if I could video tape inside and ask the agent again about that 4th bedroom.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM

7,621 posts, read 8,963,068 times
"The legal definition of a bedroom is determined by the local municipality’s zoning codes. This definition can vary by jurisdiction, building type, and zoning for the particular lot. Assumptions about what constitutes a bedroom can differ substantially from the requirements of the different zoning codes."

https://nvar.com/realtors/news/re-vi...ion-of-bedroom

So, the question of whether you can call it a bedroom is determined by where you live. From your posting history, I will assume you live in Seattle. My quick google search didn't immediately turn up what Seattle defines as a bedroom (sorry, if you're not paying for my research time, I won't spend more than a minute ), but I did see that the HVAC requirements are different for a 3 bedroom rather than a 4 bedroom. So, if you change this with the county, they may require HVAC modification to go along with this.

http://www.seattle.gov/DPD/Publications/CAM/cam303A.pdf

Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM

7,748 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Is there a bathroom with tub or shower on the same level, with no steps up or down to access?
That is a requirement....
"At Least Where I Am."

Hmmm, I was not aware of this; thankfully I have rarely run up against such a scenario.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 526,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would never take an agent's advice and that agent is foolish. If the town has it listed as a 3/2 and you even verbally tell them it's a 4/2 they can buy it and sue the seller to pay for permits or bring it to code to make it a 4/2 on the town records. My agent told me that if a listing says there is a new roof and it was not permitted and there is no record of a new roof put in, or you can tell it's a patch job or it leaks right after or, the homeowner doing it themselves in an area where it's not allowed then the homeowner is going to have to buy you a new roof after you close. I would also think the RE agent may be responsible with their error and omissions policy. So I would ask if I could video tape inside and ask the agent again about that 4th bedroom.

Having a roof installed without a permit is far different then adding a closet to a room that has windows of the same size as the bedrooms and turning it into a bedroom. The only thing you need to concern yourself of is whether it can be called a bedroom not whether or not the town lists it as such. When we sold our house I had a bonus room that I used as a guest suite that I wanted to be called a 4th bedroom. When we were talking about it, our agent said we can't because it doesn't have a closet. I reminded her that indeed it had a walk in closet and a half bath. Voila, a 4th bedroom/bonus room (bonus rooms were considered a feature in our area as were 4th bedrooms as many didn't have a 4th bedroom) No permitting required to call it such only that it met regulations for calling it a bedroom.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 526,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What are your local marketing rules for labeling a space a bedroom?
The closet is not difficult.

Egress window? If you go to the town/city to permit, you may have to install a window large enough to allow a firefighter with gear and breathing apparatus to enter. $$$

Is there a bathroom with tub or shower on the same level, with no steps up or down to access?
That is a requirement....
"At Least Where I Am."

In a good sellers' market, I would not suggest you spend a lot of money re-purposing the space. All other features being appealing, a playroom, office, craft room, storage, etc, is just about as good as a BR space for most people, and your buyers can put a futon in for the occasional overnighter.

Whether or not it is a requirement for the bathroom to be on the same level in your area, as mentioned above my 4th bedroom/bonus room was above the garage so while it was upstairs you had to go up an additional two steps to get to the full bath and this wasn't an issue calling it a 4th bedroom. Only concerns were windows and closet. However, personally if I had a house with a bedroom downstairs with no full bath I would not call it a bedroom closet or not.

I agree, leave the room as is unless OP is willing to turn that storage room into a closet/full bath. A realtor can market it as being easily renovated to add a 4th bedroom suite in the description.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:36 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Just list it as 3 bdr, with bonus room. That should work. Don't make "suggestions" as to how the bonus room could be used----bonus room which could be 4th bdr…..don't say that or you could be opening yourself up to potential legal misery

Old 06-16-2018, 03:21 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Having a roof installed without a permit is far different then adding a closet to a room that has windows of the same size as the bedrooms and turning it into a bedroom. .
Oh I see your point, you can't sleep on a roof or store you clothes there.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 PM

15,720 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In any case... a bedroom like space, separate and apart from the family is NOT a 4th bedroom.
And if you try to present it as one you'll just pizz off the family who needs/wants that.
I agree with this.

If I go looking for a 4BR house and you show me a room off the kitchen with an attached storage space I'm going to be very unhappy I wasted my time.

Au pair quarters is a good idea.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 PM

3,323 posts, read 3,259,105 times
I don't know what area of Seattle you're in. But I've seen areas of Seattle with tiny houses with low-ceilinged attics and basements converted into bedroom space. And those houses are STILL tiny bungalows. And they're worth over a million dollars now.

So YES YES YES, DO convert that room into a 4th bedroom! It will greatly increase the value of the house, and attract more buyers. If there's any way to add a bathroom adjacent to that bedroom, do so, and even better if it has a shower in the bathroom. Having a main floor bedroom and bathroom adds lots of value to a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate