U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:22 PM

670 posts, read 528,726 times

Advertisements

we have an "extra" room that's off the side of our kitchen. it's very bright, pretty big, high ceilings. previous owners used it as an extra dining room. we've been using it as a study. we are thinking of selling in a couple of years (extremely competitive real estate market of seattle). the house was always listed as a 3/2. how difficult is it to convert the house listing to a 4br? it has windows. it does not have a closet but it has a door that leads to a storage room which i guess could be considered a large closet? anyone have experience converting from a 3 to a 4 br on the real estate listing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 05:44 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
I don't personally think a door that leads to a storage room could count as a closet.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:47 PM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
we have an "extra" room that's off the side of our kitchen.
Maids quarters or au pair

Old 06-15-2018, 06:06 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
we have an "extra" room that's off the side of our kitchen. it's very bright, pretty big, high ceilings. previous owners used it as an extra dining room. we've been using it as a study. we are thinking of selling in a couple of years (extremely competitive real estate market of seattle). the house was always listed as a 3/2. how difficult is it to convert the house listing to a 4br? it has windows. it does not have a closet but it has a door that leads to a storage room which i guess could be considered a large closet? anyone have experience converting from a 3 to a 4 br on the real estate listing?
I would think you would have to go to the town and change it there first with the tax assessor's office. As long as it's over 70 square feet and at least 7 feet wide and has a window for egress and a door in the room leads to inside storage it should be fine, Otherwise list is as 3/2 and office or den and furnish it accordingly and the people can decide if they want to use it as a bedroom.

Since you are not in a hurry you can have a closet built and then change it with the city, as a 4/2 as long as it's under heat and air and not like a back porch or Florida room. First make sure there are no added tax implications in making it a 4/2 or if so do it a few months before you want to sell.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM

975 posts, read 279,560 times
How big is that 4th room? How big is the storage room...and in what shape is it?
How significant/usable to the house is the storage room? Would it be possible to take down the wall between the storage room to make a nice large viable bedroom with a good closet and, say, small seating area for tv....an inlaw suite/teen suite.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
...a nice large viable bedroom with a good closet and, say, small seating area for tv....an inlaw suite/teen suite.
I'd agree to maximize the space. Add a half bath too.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:07 AM

670 posts, read 528,726 times
i'd love to do that but i think it's more change and more costly than we'd like to do. the storage is large. it could practically be a room itself. we don't have a garage so we really use the storage room quite a bit.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:36 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
i'd love to do that but i think it's more change and more costly than we'd like to do. the storage is large. it could practically be a room itself. we don't have a garage so we really use the storage room quite a bit.
What are your local marketing rules for labeling a space a bedroom?
The closet is not difficult.

Egress window? If you go to the town/city to permit, you may have to install a window large enough to allow a firefighter with gear and breathing apparatus to enter. $$$

Is there a bathroom with tub or shower on the same level, with no steps up or down to access?
That is a requirement....
"At Least Where I Am."

In a good sellers' market, I would not suggest you spend a lot of money re-purposing the space. All other features being appealing, a playroom, office, craft room, storage, etc, is just about as good as a BR space for most people, and your buyers can put a futon in for the occasional overnighter.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 AM

33,031 posts, read 12,488,458 times
If it isn't listed as a 4 bedroom, the buyers looking for a 4-bedroom home won't pull up your listing.

Who knows what the market will be when it is time to sell and I'm far from a real estate expert, but it sounds to me that staging would turn this into a fourth bedroom.

Clear out the storage closet and hang some clothes. Maybe put in a dresser. Voila, walk-in closet. Bed and side tables make it a bedroom.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
the storage is large. it could practically be a room itself.
we don't have a garage so we really use the storage room quite a bit.
When it comes time to sell... plan on renting a storage locker for your excess.

Quote:
i'd love to do that but i think it's more change and more costly than we'd like to do.
Quantify it. Bring in a remodeling plumber for an estimate. Know.
You don't have to do the work now... but with a real layout and price.

In any case... a bedroom like space, separate and apart from the family is NOT a 4th bedroom.
And if you try to present it as one you'll just pizz off the family who needs/wants that.
The MIL type space however (with at least a half bath) is a whole other marketing feature.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-16-2018 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate