Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 03:02 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,623,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You knew there was a 1-year mechanics lean on the property before making your offer. Therefore, you accepted the risk that a potential third-party situation could interfere with the sale. Regardless of what the seller agrees to, the person holding the lien must agree to clear the lien must agree to drop it, before your sale can be finalized.

It's understandable that you are upset the sale has not gone as you hoped it would, but, that's part of the risk you accepted.
Not necessarily. Depends on the contract. Being told there is currently a mechanics lien on the property is disclosure; however, if the contract also says that the seller will provide a clean and marketable title to the property, then that's misleading. A marketable title means no liens on the property, and implies the seller will clear the liens prior to closing. If seller was never willing to clear the lien, then he does NOT have a marketable title, and was not acting in good faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,090,649 times
UPDATE: You guys called it! Seller comes back and says that he now needs at least 30 days to close. Issue is no longer the lien. He will pay lien at closing. No explanation for the change of heart. Issue is now paperwork related. There is some document that the deceased owner (this is an estate sale) did not have recorded before he passed, and now they have to start over with probate. That makes no sense. How do you almost get to the closing table, without realizing you haven't cleared probate. My suspicion is that he is using this time to contest the lien. We're through, and advised our agent of such.

Agent comes back and says he has offered to do one of the repairs we had identified during previous negotiations (before we made the all cash "as is" offer) and that the price "will be different" when he puts it back on the market. I think this is his attempt at "sweetening the pot." Are you kidding me?!?! No one needs a house this bad.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:21 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,352,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
UPDATE: You guys called it! Seller comes back and says that he now needs at least 30 days to close. Issue is no longer the lien. He will pay lien at closing. No explanation for the change of heart. Issue is now paperwork related. There is some document that the deceased owner (this is an estate sale) did not have recorded before he passed, and now they have to start over with probate. That makes no sense. How do you almost get to the closing table, without realizing you haven't cleared probate. My suspicion is that he is using this time to contest the lien. We're through, and advised our agent of such.

Agent comes back and says he has offered to do one of the repairs we had identified during previous negotiations (before we made the all cash "as is" offer) and that the price "will be different" when he puts it back on the market. I think this is his attempt at "sweetening the pot." Are you kidding me?!?! No one needs a house this bad.
I bet his agent is ready to kill him. Anyway, I still would love to know what the $15K lien was for....but regardless, you dodged a bullet!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:31 AM

16,986 posts, read 21,655,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is very common to list encumbered properties.
The contract should indicate that all liens will be cleared prior to closing.

A mortgage is a lien, for example.
A furnace or AC unit with a loan financed through a utility company is a common lien

The seller is just playing stupid games, from the OP's description.
Usually the mechanics lien expires after a year (must be renewed) so I first thought he was trying to delay the closing to let the lien expire.

I had a lien on a property once, title company called to get the payoff and I never heard from them again (or got a check). So I look online and the owner got a 1mm mortgage on the property and I called to ask the title company how he did that without paying the lien? They said he delayed the refi 2 weeks, lien expired and he then got the loan.

Guy was a sleazy lawyer so it didn't surprise me at all. About 10 years later he hung himself in the garage after a divorce, couple DUI arrests and finally he got disbarred for offering legal services in trade for sex. The woman he was offering his "services" to was a local tv reporter......needless to say she had a story to tell on air and it didn't go well for him!

Old 06-23-2018, 10:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 929,027 times
I’m glad you put your foot down. People are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate