U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM
DKM

2,060 posts, read 674,891 times

Advertisements

You can tell them you're willing to make the closing period their choice. So like 15 day or 60 days or anything in between, seller's choice. That should make your offer stronger. If you are asking in order to make your offer appeal better, what's going to help with that is a shorter contingency period. You have some control over that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM

90 posts, read 29,466 times
We had an amazing agent when we purchased our home whom seemed to literally know everyone. She was very laid back even though professional. She not only called each agent of the home we were looking at but knew everything about the agent's style of buying and selling. We knew by the end of looking at a home what the lowest the buyer might go for and most times, she even had the realtor call the buyer within 5 minutes. We were paying cash and she did use that and it was Nov., really slow market. This house we have now we literally said this is it after a week of this process (negotiating offers while still looking at the house on the phone. My realtor really started low too. She had the mindset that it never hurts. We talked in the kitchen a bit about the house, what her family gets use of with their home that we found in this home, etc then she said, "Want me to call?". She asked how the realtor's family was, explained our situation (we had the full cash amount available but needed to get in asap before the holidays as we had left after hurricane Irma and were staying with our family in a nearby hotel) and got a lot of info about the family whom have papers, etc. They went back and forth with offers, called the family, called us back (we got an awesome deal-thank you our still very good friend realtor) and she just smiled easy and said, "you got a house. lets get the papers, start the offer paperwork then go take a load off! no worries."

To be honest, we had many options even with the couple weeks we needed to pay rent until it could close, all of the realtors and sellers were open to that but we felt better choosing the ones our realtor seemed to have an easy relationship with. Many had all our primary list items and we loved at least three in the same area. It was really important to know we would be settled fast and less stress to pretty much know before even being formal.

Good luck with the house. Just love your agent. I was so stressed and this woman did more then just help with finding our home. She was just so sensitive and went out of her way to assure me everything was fine and all would be easy. It wasn't even a high cost home, her commission wasn't that great but she was just so wonderful. We keep her and her family as good friends, even now.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,330,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
OP, to answer your question, sure, why not?

The seller's agent can and does provide insight about what might work. The agents who are a little less discreet or desperate to make a sale might even disclose, "well, they were going to list it for $280,00, but we agreed to go for $300,000 and negotiate down. If you bid $280,000 I think there is a good chance the seller will be pleased." See what I mean?

It is NOT your problem if their agent spills the beans, and if your agent is clever, they can get a great deal of information from the seller's agent in helping to shape your bid. All the rest of the stuff about curtains, rental, or boat storage should have been in the listing.

You want to talk money!!!
Wow, the bolded part sounds unethical. Itís good to know though.

I always suspected there was more communication between agents than clients realize. After all, at the end of the day they have more in common than they do with their respective clients. At the end of the day, both of them want to close the deal. For example, if the deal is about to go south over a $500 repair, you canít convince me that agents donít agree to split the cost, then go back and tell their clients how they fought for them. lol

Old 06-19-2018, 06:19 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,333,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Is there anything wrong with a buyerís agent contacting the sellerís agent and asking what might appeal to the seller (i.e. a quick closing) before crafting an offer? Is there anything unethical about the selling agent sharing information, as long as it doesnít disclose anything confidential?
What everyone else said. It's fine.

Quote:
It happens, but a good agent won't reveal such information.

Quote:
After all, at the end of the day they have more in common than they do with their respective clients. At the end of the day, both of them want to close the deal. For example, if the deal is about to go south over a $500 repair, you canít convince me that agents donít agree to split the cost, then go back and tell their clients how they fought for them. lol
Again, a good Buyer's agent maintains an adversarial, yet cordial, relationship with a Seller's agent. It's dangerous to assume too much.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 PM

16,506 posts, read 17,550,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
OP, to answer your question, sure, why not?

The seller's agent can and does provide insight about what might work. The agents who are a little less discreet or desperate to make a sale might even disclose, "well, they were going to list it for $280,00, but we agreed to go for $300,000 and negotiate down. If you bid $280,000 I think there is a good chance the seller will be pleased." See what I mean?

It is NOT your problem if their agent spills the beans, and if your agent is clever, they can get a great deal of information from the seller's agent in helping to shape your bid. All the rest of the stuff about curtains, rental, or boat storage should have been in the listing.

You want to talk money!!!
If my agent did that I would fire them.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 AM

7,602 posts, read 17,634,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The OP is speaking about "before crafting an offer". If I was selling I would either list any of these aspects in the listing, expect some items as customary or required due to local requirements (i.e. leaving window treatments), or just wait for the offer and the buyer's requested terms. The buyer can try asking their questions and the seller's Agent can certainly pass the questions on to the seller. However from a seller's standpoint depending on the question asked they (the seller) may be using that aspect as a selection criteria for buyers that they do not want buyers to know. Also the less the buyer knows, and the more of a seller's market it is, the more apt the buyer is to not ask for concessions during the initial offer.
There are many things left out of a listing, fearing it could deter a potential buyer. Not everything is price. Closing date immediately comes to mind. My son needed a 60 day rentback, but even in a hot market like the City of DC his agent didn't want it in there. Not only did he get the rentback, but sold 25K over list and no inspection, financing or appraisal contingency.

Wrote about his experience 3 years ago. I do think it was his agent that made this possible.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 AM

31,622 posts, read 55,349,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If my agent did that I would fire them.
How would you know?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 AM

9,502 posts, read 14,300,543 times
In some states, the agents draft up a proposal and lawyers draft the actual contract. This adds costs to both sides and one client must cancel the deal because a lawyer throws a monkey wrench in the works.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM

7,773 posts, read 6,128,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_trekkies View Post
We had an amazing agent when we purchased our home whom seemed to literally know everyone. She was very laid back even though professional. ....
Good luck with the house. Just love your agent. I was so stressed and this woman did more then just help with finding our home. She was just so sensitive and went out of her way to assure me everything was fine and all would be easy. It wasn't even a high cost home, her commission wasn't that great but she was just so wonderful. We keep her and her family as good friends, even now.
it's always so great to hear about the GOOD experiences with great professionals.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM

7,773 posts, read 6,128,244 times
Quote:

I always suspected there was more communication between agents than clients realize. After all, at the end of the day they have more in common than they do with their respective clients. At the end of the day, both of them want to close the deal. For example, if the deal is about to go south over a $500 repair, you canít convince me that agents donít agree to split the cost, then go back and tell their clients how they fought for them. lol
it would be unethical. it has happened, but it's not frequent.

More often what happens, as you state - at the end of the day, the 2 agents are the only ones who remember the seller's goal is to sell, and the buyer's goal is to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or