U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 AM

73 posts, read 174,091 times

Advertisements

After months of searching, I found the perfect house on Realtor.com, called the listing agent and told him I would like to see the house asap. He said that he would be out of town for the week, but could show it to me the following week. I told him that I was very interested in buying it and was worried that someone else would buy it before I had a chance to see it. He said that there was no way that he would let that happen. So, I was scheduled to see the house early the next week as soon as he returned. In the meantime, I see the status changed to pending on Realtor.com. I realize that he really had no obligation to hold the house for me, but I wish that I had been given a chance to at least compete for it. Or, he shouldn't have made a promise that he couldn't keep. I'm now not so enthusiastic about having him as my agent, since I'm not sure if I trust him.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 05:24 AM

1,512 posts, read 565,559 times
He’s not “your” agent. He’s the selling party’s agent.

You need to get your own buyer’s agent to help you with this process.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 AM

5,867 posts, read 7,093,742 times
You should have asked him if someone else in his office could show it.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 AM

4,293 posts, read 6,402,889 times
The above, and if it's not in writing, with a signature, it's a lie. Even if it IS in writing, it's still probably a lie.... but you'll have some recourse. Do not EVER take someone's word as Truth until they prove it multiple times over, most people just have oral diarrhea with whatever they Think you want to hear.

Now, find yourself a Buyers Agent.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 AM

10,271 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil88lim View Post
After months of searching, I found the perfect house on Realtor.com, called the listing agent and told him I would like to see the house asap. He said that he would be out of town for the week, but could show it to me the following week. I told him that I was very interested in buying it and was worried that someone else would buy it before I had a chance to see it. He said that there was no way that he would let that happen. So, I was scheduled to see the house early the next week as soon as he returned. In the meantime, I see the status changed to pending on Realtor.com. I realize that he really had no obligation to hold the house for me, but I wish that I had been given a chance to at least compete for it. Or, he shouldn't have made a promise that he couldn't keep. I'm now not so enthusiastic about having him as my agent, since I'm not sure if I trust him.

Any thoughts?
Why would you pick that listing agent as your agent?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:46 AM

7,598 posts, read 17,629,190 times
Please get a better idea how this works. Tell that agent you are moving on and he is not in your gameplan. Take a first time buyers class, read here or find a book on the buying process.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 AM

73 posts, read 174,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The above, and if it's not in writing, with a signature, it's a lie. Even if it IS in writing, it's still probably a lie.... but you'll have some recourse. Do not EVER take someone's word as Truth until they prove it multiple times over, most people just have oral diarrhea with whatever they Think you want to hear.

Now, find yourself a Buyers Agent.

I have a feeling that he may have used my interest in the house to prompt another interested buyer to jump on an offer.

As far as getting a buyers agent, this property is about 1K miles away, and this was the first property I found that I was interested in. This guy was going to be our buyers agent if this property wasn't what I wanted. We had several other homes scheduled to look at with him.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 AM

31,605 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Quote:
I have a feeling that he may have used my interest in the house to prompt another interested buyer to jump on an offer.

As far as getting a buyers agent, this property is about 1K miles away, and this was the first property I found that I was interested in. This guy was going to be our buyers agent if this property wasn't what I wanted. We had several other homes scheduled to look at with him.
He has more duty to his seller client than he does to a potential sales prospect 1000 miles away.
If a buyer comes to the table with a great offer, the agent would be incompetent if he coaxed the seller to wait until you come to town because you might like the house.

Sellers get to make the decisions.
The agent apparently overstepped his authority. You need to know that that is how real estate works.
Sellers decide. Agents need to be careful making promises when they don't have authority to make them.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-22-2018 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 06:16 AM

4,480 posts, read 7,942,875 times
Quote:
Any thoughts?
Your expectations are unrealistic. When buying a home, your offer needs to be first, not next week. If that means hopping on a plane to look at the house that day, or next day, that is what you need to do. If that agent isn't available, you call another.

As for making promises he couldn't keep. Your expectations again, are unrealistic. Should he have said that no. Should you have believed him? No. You cant be gullible in the real estate world.

The listing agent isnt a good person to use to do this. They work for the seller of the house. They will make a commission on selling the house to you, or anyone else. If you use a buyers agent, they will only make a commission if they help you buy a house, thus a greater incentive to help you.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,350,590 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Do you still think he was out of town that week? Likely not. There is no trust in real estate. There's only contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or