U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:21 PM

33 posts, read 12,106 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Brooklyn currently, and my car is insured with Geico. Looks we most likely buying house in NJ. I need to find house insurance. What insurance company can you suggest? Is Geico OK? Or it make sense to switch auto insurance and insure the house with some other company, e.g. Allstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 04:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 758,201 times
Geico doesn't insure houses. They are a middle man that will pass you off to a local insurer.

I used them in the past. They did all the paperwork and the local insurer dropped me nearly instantly. I'm pretty sure this had a negative impact on my insurance rates at the next place.

Aside from that, they're just an all-around terrible company to deal with. Most of the insurers that bombard you with commercials are.

I would recommend USAA if you're eligible.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 AM

33 posts, read 12,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Geico doesn't insure houses. They are a middle man that will pass you off to a local insurer.

I used them in the past. They did all the paperwork and the local insurer dropped me nearly instantly. I'm pretty sure this had a negative impact on my insurance rates at the next place.

Aside from that, they're just an all-around terrible company to deal with. Most of the insurers that bombard you with commercials are.

I would recommend USAA if you're eligible.
Thanks, good advice.
But looks I'm not eligible since I don't have any relation to US army, and they redirected me to Liberty Mutual.

Talking about Geico auto insurance, I'm using them in Brooklyn because they are in fact the cheapest option I was able to find.

Last edited by phantom4; 06-25-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM

4,125 posts, read 3,416,251 times
I got a quote from geico and was shocked how high it was. Also service is somewhat lacking, I guess they are trying to cut costs.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM

939 posts, read 408,627 times
Geico is more a service aggregator or referral system, my understanding is they don’t actually insure houses. I’d definitely do some comparison shopping with local agents. We personally have been super happy with State Farm, and when we have had to make claims they’re very expedient about managing them.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM

158 posts, read 162,613 times
I live in NJ and the one local insurance name that I keep hearing is Chubb. I hear their prices are higher, but they actually pony up the $ if you need to file a claim. I can't say the same for USAA (despite having been with them for over a decade). After the recent Nor'Easter storm, the neighbors on my street with Chubb all got coverage for their property without delay, and I did not for mine (same file claims for wind damage and debris falling on the home).

Moral of the story is don't just choose based on the rate. Consider who actually cover you if/when you file a claim.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 553,495 times
Check out Farmers

Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 AM

356 posts, read 243,637 times
I used Geico and got a lower quote than expected. I realize they are a middleman but they've been decent for my car insurance.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,955,592 times
I don't have Geico for car insurance. My long-time mechanic told me they are horrible about paying off claims. For the house, we've been with Liberty Mutual for years. They have very good customer service.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:21 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,333,779 times
If you’re not eligible for USAA, another company I hear that has a comparable reputation for great customer service is a company called Amica. I’m not familiar with them personally, but you might want to at least check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate