U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 PM

3,841 posts, read 2,066,396 times

Advertisements

I apologize for using the word glowering.... I simply was trying to get you to think about how you might actually handle the situations as they develop if you were there. I don't blame you for being concerned at all.

Personally, I've never seen children behave as badly as you have described, and as a buyer's agent, I would stop clients from allowing their children to run amok that way. But I can't promise that of all agents or all parents.

If you are in a hot market... then a limited and contolled open house like jersey recommends can be a good way to go! Just one day or a weekend of disruption, and hopefully, it'll be over.

At least until inspection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,273,608 times
Honestly, I don't think that it is unreasonable to say that showings are limited to adults only. If a couple with children under 12 is serious about buying, they'd come without kids. It's your house, your rules. It's not like you're saying that you won't sell to a family with children - you just don't want them in there, and for good reason. It's YOUR house!

Old 06-24-2018, 11:18 PM

939 posts, read 407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
Interesting comments. Thanks for your practical, unjudgmental advice, MikeJaquish, especially about a possible discrimination complaint. I find it risible that some people feel free to enter someone else's home and let their children run unchecked, causing damage to someone else's property, yet feel it's "discrimination" if a homeowner doesn't want that to happen.

I don't understand what some of the comments, such as "collection is a brag" and "more isn't necessarily better" mean. I also doubt that most viewers, unless they dislike representational art, are going to forego a house because of a serene landscape painting or tastefully draped statue. "Glowering" and following potential buyers around, making them feel uncomfortable? Not our intent or style. I'm surprised what people assume we'll do.

My husband won't leave our home until it's sold. As mentioned in my initial post, all the smaller things are already packed and in storage. But we still need many of our furnishings with which to live, such as our bed. When our last house was shown, a young girl crawled up onto the bed and picked at the headboard until she succeeded in opening holes in the weave. Another girl left a smelly souvenir on our couch. One boy found out how fun it is to yank down drapes. Kids can't help being kids, but parents should act like responsible adults and curb their kids -- but they often don't. Thus my initial question.

MikeJaquish, you in particular have been a big help. Thank you!
I have NEVER heard of children doing the things you describe during a showing, except the occasional accidental bump of furniture or slam of a door. And I’ve sold several homes to buyers in the age range of having young children.

You’re missing the point of why to have showings at all - Families aren’t letting kids run through your house uninvited and unckecked - you’re trying to SELL THEM YOUR HOUSE.

Pack away your junk, so they can actually focus on the asset they’re trying to assess to buy. You’re not selling an urn to them, or drapes. You’re selling a building. And believe it or not, a family with kids may be interested in your building, regardless of how many expensive tchotchkes you’re storing there that you don’t want them going near.

You’re looking at this situation the entirely wrong way, for someone who says she wants to sell her home.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Honestly, I don't think that it is unreasonable to say that showings are limited to adults only. If a couple with children under 12 is serious about buying, they'd come without kids. It's your house, your rules. It's not like you're saying that you won't sell to a family with children - you just don't want them in there, and for good reason. It's YOUR house!
Thatís nonsense. More than a few buyers are new to the area, and may not have family or any known sitters to call on for this. We were just in this position, and there would have been zero way to buy a home without bringing the kids along.

Itís not an unusual situation, especially with so many people moving around for jobs. Any place that barred young kids from being present would have been taken right off our list, and statistically a big chunk of your buying population for single family homes is likely to have at least one child in grade school or middle school.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:40 PM

41 posts, read 14,692 times
Diana Holbrook, thank you. I appreciate your clarification. We're on the same page.

Schmooky, no thanks for the snarky slam. We're not on the same page. The fact that you haven't seen this happen personally gives you no right to invalidate my experience. Read the link on #18. Many people have gone through this ordeal. Your language sounds very judgmental and unprofessional. You've missed my query by a mile, ma'am. Did you even read my first post?

Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
Diana Holbrook, thank you. I appreciate your clarification. We're on the same page.

Schmooky, no thanks for the snarky slam. We're not on the same page. The fact that you haven't seen this happen personally gives you no right to invalidate my experience. Read the link on #18. Many people have gone through this ordeal. Your language sounds very judgmental and unprofessional. You've missed my query by a mile, ma'am. Did you even read my first post?
I absolutely read your first post. It doesn’t change the fact that you’re being unreasonable in expecting to be able to keep everything in your home, have no kids anywhere near anything, AND sell it in any expedient fashion.

You’re so attached to your stuff remaining out that you’re actually willing to put that ahead of the (supposedly primary) goal of selling your house. Put anything valuable in a storage unit and stage your asset with the remaining items so that it looks nice but isn’t such a potential damage risk. Don’t do open houses, just do individual showings. And then get over it and trust that the realtors will behave professionally and that accidents and damage are NOT actually common when families go through houses.

With regard to the link - Just because you have had it happen, that doesn’t make it prevalent. Example: I have a kid with a brain injury, a very rare occurrence in babies. I’m in a whole group of Moms with kids who have the same injury and subsequent disabilities - but having a bunch of us together and talking about our rare, traumatic experiences doesn’t change the statistical fact that only maybe 1% of the population actually shares the injury, and even less have long term damage from it.

You’re missing the forest for the trees. Trying to sell a house means taking yourself out of it. If the risk to your junk is too high, put the aforementioned classy mess into storage so it’s safely away from any accidents. Trying to keep kids from showings is completely counterproductive to actually selling your home, compared to just storing your stuff and not being so anxious about the whole thing.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 AM

7,131 posts, read 2,902,119 times
I have never been comfortable with strangers roaming through my house. Realtors donít watch everyone. Itís almost impossible. I would move most of my valuables to a storage facility or your new home. I hate to be paranoid but why take the chance of a thief or unattended child breaking something that cannot be replaced?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 AM

9,166 posts, read 6,352,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
I absolutely read your first post. It doesnít change the fact that youíre being unreasonable in expecting to be able to keep everything in your home, have no kids anywhere near anything, AND sell it in any expedient fashion.

Youíre so attached to your stuff remaining out that youíre actually willing to put that ahead of the (supposedly primary) goal of selling your house. Put anything valuable in a storage unit and stage your asset with the remaining items so that it looks nice but isnít such a potential damage risk. Donít do open houses, just do individual showings. And then get over it and trust that the realtors will behave professionally and that accidents and damage are NOT actually common when families go through houses.

With regard to the link - Just because you have had it happen, that doesnít make it prevalent. Example: I have a kid with a brain injury, a very rare occurrence in babies. Iím in a whole group of Moms with kids who have the same injury and subsequent disabilities - but having a bunch of us together and talking about our rare, traumatic experiences doesnít change the statistical fact that only maybe 1% of the population actually shares the injury, and even less have long term damage from it.

Youíre missing the forest for the trees. Trying to sell a house means taking yourself out of it. If the risk to your junk is too high, put the aforementioned classy mess into storage so itís safely away from any accidents. Trying to keep kids from showings is completely counterproductive to actually selling your home, compared to just storing your stuff and not being so anxious about the whole thing.
Well, hopefully you'd watch your children if you bring them to showings and prevent them from engaging in the mayhem described by the OP? You know, being a responsible parent and showing your children by example a little civility and consideration for others, that sort ot thing?

Allowing children to engage in destructive behavior under the guise of "kids will be kids" is just copping out on parental responsibilities. You bring children to an event, YOU are responsible for them.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 AM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, hopefully you'd watch your children if you bring them to showings...
Who's going to be 'watching' the house -that you might buy or not- while you tend your children?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 AM

1,757 posts, read 709,779 times
All these people saying "pack away your valuables" does not address the problems of

pulling on drapes
leaving smelly gifts around
picking at upholstery

and much, much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate