U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 AM

7,036 posts, read 5,215,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I am of the opinion that you ought to be able to prohibit children from viewings.

Your home. Your stuff.

I would not want an agent who has the attitude you described, above. She is supposed to be working for you, not appealing to buyers who may be more like herself.

I have seen properties where "Principals only" is listed. To me, that means only the people who can sign the documents to purchase the home, not their children or friends or extended family.
Certainly, there's more than one show in town as far as Agents go. I'd agree to get someone that meshes more and understands your concerns, especially considering past experiences.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 11:32 AM

8,740 posts, read 8,951,501 times
Rent a storage unit, insure it up the wazooo, store all your valuables there. Safety deposit box can be used for smaller items.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:43 PM

13,133 posts, read 18,756,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Have leashes available just inside the front door.
Too dependent upon the parents using them.

Electrify the artwork instead. High voltage, not low.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 3,463,061 times
Pack up & store large valuable items in bonded storage & small ones in bank safe deposit boxes. Be certain to photograph & catalog each and consukt your insurance agent to see if you need a rider to your homeowners.

Besides theft or breakage, this will also prevent a buyer from includung a piece or pieces as condition of house purchase. `

Old 06-26-2018, 01:43 PM

1,488 posts, read 336,333 times
Honestly, if I were house shopping right now, I'd want to shop without a child in tow.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:12 PM

7,036 posts, read 5,215,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Honestly, if I were house shopping right now, I'd want to shop without a child in tow.
Most people do. For a handful of reasons, they often don't/can't. I think that's doubly true if its a hot market.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,753,943 times
Unless the children are paying for the house they have no business going along to see houses. Perhaps once a house has been potentially decided upon you might bring them on a brief tour just for them to see the place. But who wants to take the kids to a showing that it turns our is not for you, and have THEM fall in love with some aspect ?
Taking the kids is stupid on so many fronts.
To the OP, glad you figured it out.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:13 PM

41 posts, read 14,679 times
Yes, we've decided. No open house; appointments only; and no pets except service dogs. For first showings, no children under twelve, older children must stay with their parent(s) at all times, and my husband and I will be off the property. For second and/or third showings, all children allowed and must stay with their parent(s) at all times, and my husband or I will be discreetly on the property if young children come. Once closed, and before we move out, the new owners and their children (if any), may come over frequently to look, visit, measure, decide who gets what bedroom, etc.

If someone decides to file a discrimination complaint, so be it. Our new realtor, a sharp young man who's not in full tilt kid-centric mode, doesn't anticipate a problem, especially because keeping young children away from a property with spiky succulents, a steep cliff drop, a three-tiered fountain, and a neighboring dog who will bite hands poked through the fence, among other things, is tantamount to caring about children's safety. Our attorney seconded the realtor's opinion.

Because we sold both of our previous, fully furnished homes within ten days, are asking a fair price, and are in a desirable neighborhood in a hot market (Austin, Texas), we're not unduly worried about selling the house in good time. If half of potential buyers are scared off because they can't bring young children to the first showing, so be it. My husband and I both recently retired and intend to travel overseas for awhile before returning to the U.S. and purchasing a home in another state. So, no hurry ... it sells when it sells. We don't anticipate a problem in that regard.

Many thanks again for all the constructive comments and advice!

Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 PM

939 posts, read 407,180 times
Ha! Good luck and appropriate karma to you, then. It sounds like you’ve made the decision that satisfies your desires, and I’m sure your aim of keeping children safe will show clearly to all.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM

13,133 posts, read 18,756,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
no pets except service dogs
Service animals are not pets.
You cannot discriminate against other service animals. For example, a pony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate