Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 PM

10,374 posts, read 5,517,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That's not true she can prove she had a relationship with the person easily I forgot what state this happened in but all kinds of case law that supports this stuff. She can contest a will and tie it up in court yes there is money 800k home. Her attorney can depose people to prove she was in a long term relationship most people are afraid to commit perjury they will tell the truth about what their relationship was. I saw it happen in the end it was far cheaper to settle for a small portion of money to get rid of them then fight in court.
Being in a relationship doesn’t convey an ownership interest in the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,885,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
Yes. To take her back to the casita in Arizona.
So did this actually happen? And were there any problems as she left?

Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 PM

13,639 posts, read 12,276,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That's not true she can prove she had a relationship with the person easily I forgot what state this happened in but all kinds of case law that supports this stuff. She can contest a will and tie it up in court yes there is money 800k home. Her attorney can depose people to prove she was in a long term relationship most people are afraid to commit perjury they will tell the truth about what their relationship was. I saw it happen in the end it was far cheaper to settle for a small portion of money to get rid of them then fight in court.
No, most states don't recognize common law marriage. Those that do require the couple to present as a married couple. This didn't happen. Try it this way, as far as we know. Dad didn't introduce her as "my wife" and then the kids found out they weren't married. What if the deceased hadn't died, but said, "I don't think this is working out and I want you to move out." Her recourse would be, "bite me, I'm a legal resident here," and his legal recourse would be to give proper notice as her landlord, followed by an eviction if she refused to comply.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,211,758 times
Glad it's settled. What a joke it would have been for the LIG to inherit something only for her to pass away and bequeath it to her own kids. That's wrong IMO.

This situation should be a reminder to everyone who remarries or hooks up in their latter years to be upgrade your wills.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM

2,242 posts, read 1,637,817 times
So was the LIG actually picked up by her daughter and moved back to AZ? Did the move go forward without drama or issues?

I would think the LIG would find living alone in the house was lonely after a while and prefer to be closer to her daughter, but who knows.

Hope the OP comes back and tells us how everything turned out.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:21 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,471,805 times
Odds are the residence in question is within a mile of my home. The situation described, where an elderly couple cohabitates, is not uncommon. My sister's wealthy FIL had just such an arrangement but he gave his LIG of many years a life estate for his home and income from his farm for as long as she lived. My sister was not happy but as my Mother told her she should be thankful that the LIG took care of her FIL.

In fact one of my neighbors had just such a living arrangement but the woman in this case passed first. As his name was not on the lease he could not continue to live in the apartment but provisions were made by the estate for him to stay several months. He moved to a retirement residence in the neighborhood.

Agreed the LIG only lived with the deceased for 5 years but that was likely not the expectation for either of them. The LIG probably did not have enough income to care for such an expensive home as the deceased made no provision for income. After a suitable mourning period it would have been appropriate to offer the LIG several thousands (keep in mind the fact that a one bedroom apartment in the area easily rents for $2,00/mo+) and assistance in moving so that the estate could be settled. Both of the heirs were correct in the resolution of their father's estate.

Frankly the heirs were lucky that the couple did not marry.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:45 AM

669 posts, read 573,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This comment from the OP casts doubt on the entire story. There would be no reason whatsoever to mask the genders of the 'inheritors' and then parse the comments for the sin of "Gender Assumption".
Gender is mentioned in the title...what am I missing? Girlfriend...girl..female.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM

10,374 posts, read 5,517,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Gender is mentioned in the title...what am I missing? Girlfriend...girl..female.
It was very clear in the post that you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This comment from the OP casts doubt on the entire story. There would be no reason whatsoever to mask the genders of the 'inheritors' and then parse the comments for the sin of "Gender Assumption".

Old 01-24-2022, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 354 times
Default Why is the girlfriend always the FREELOADER?

Why does everyone assume the girlfriend is the freeloader? I was with my guy 33 years. He worked TWO years out of that time. I paid the rent, utilities and everything else he wanted or needed. Then he got sick, I was there (NO FAMILY SHOWED) when he had open heart surgery, two major cancer surgeries. I closed my business for two years to take care of him and moved back to HIS home town because he was ill and wanted to be there. When the last surgery of 7 was done, his dad got an inheritance and said he could find a cheap house he would buy it for him. His dad put it in his name only. All the furnishings, EVERYTHING even his music equipment was paid for by me. He was a musician bum. But I loved him anyway. I came home from work one day and found him sprawled out on the floor, dead. He had talked about making a will, but his laziness kept him from doing it. His whole life someone else supported him. When I met him he was about to be homeless and I took him in. We lived in this house for six years, I have paid all the utilities for that time. He still paid nothing. BUT the day after he died his estranged son from out of town, that he had maybe seen for 5 hours in his whole life showed up. He knew he was going to get the house, and I was told I need to leave. Yeah, it is sad, that his dad never spent time with him, but don't take it out on me. The house is paid for, it costs him almost nothing to let me stay here a few months. I have no place to go until June. I used all my savings to support us while he was ill, and covid has ruined my current business and I had planed to retire this year as I am 73. So I am the breadwinner, he was the freeloader, but that doesn't help me now.

Read more: [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/2935769-live-girlfriend-inheritance-property-4.html[/url]

Old 01-24-2022, 11:07 PM

10,151 posts, read 6,598,298 times
Now THAT's a heck of a first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate