U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 PM

939 posts, read 407,986 times

Advertisements

Unless they had photos showing themselves living in the house I’d probably decline. If it was someone I knew was, in fact, an owner at one point, I’d probably be more amenable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 PM

6,837 posts, read 2,646,406 times
I did this last summer. I arrived at my grandparent's former house, they had died about 30 years ago. I arrived with copies of pics of family positioned in front of the house, and pics taken inside the house.

The young man who owns it now was having a barbecue at the time in the backyard, and was SO GRACIOUS in showing me around. He even invited me to stay for the barbecue, but I declined.

I will say, wow, they weren't keeping it up the way Grandma did. She would be shocked to see the decline. I didn't say anything about that. ;D

Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 PM

59 posts, read 36,304 times
Absolutely...and I did. Husband and I bought a home built in the early 1900's and restored it. Neighbors had told us some history (that they knew) of the house but we always wanted to know more. A young man dropped by one afternoon and told us he was on a business trip and he drove a few miles out of his way to see his grandparent's old house. Said he'd spend many summer and Christmas vacations there and always loved the place. He began telling us history and knew far too much to have been trying to scam us in any way. We asked him if he'd like to go inside and see the changes we'd made. He was thrilled to be invited in and we learned soooo much about our house. He took pics with our permission for his grandmother. It was a great time for the young man and for us.

Last edited by SPIDER04; 06-25-2018 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,066,625 times
We had an old, old place in a fishing village in Scotland. One day a little old lady showed up at my door; she was on an outing for old folks from her church in some other village. She had lived in this house as a child and asked if she could come in. When we hit the first bedroom, she said, "Oh, they've taken the box bed out." I was completely spellbound from there on in; she told me so many things about the life there, must have been in the early 1900's when it truly was a fishing village and nothing else.

(A box bed was a built-in sort of bed cabinet, kind of like a tiny closet just big enough for a bed. Very cozy and warm in the winter, I expect)

Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,615,000 times
Absolutely, especially if they have photos.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,431,618 times
I have done this before. It came about when chatting with a coworker about houses and we figured out that his fiancee’s father had grown up in my 1929 house. I invited any interested family members to come over, and it was a nice visit filled with tales of the neighborhood in the ‘40s-‘60s.

Inversely, I’ve thought of tracking down the daughters of the builder of my current home to see if they have any information on the architect or builder, or any vintage photos. But I can’t decide if that would be too stalker-ish. It’s a great MCM home different from anything else in the area. I’m sure it was something their father and mother were very proud of.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 PM

5,852 posts, read 3,319,706 times
No, I wouldn't. We did have an old man ask if he could have some walnuts from our 80 yo tree after we bought the house. He said his best friend grew up there and always shared walnuts with him. Of course we let him have some.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 PM

3,209 posts, read 1,861,210 times
2 years ago the daughter of a man that grew up in my house contacted me, with some pix. She was doing a memory book for her dad and asked for some current pix. I am constantly working on the house and wasn't sure they'd stack up to what they wanted or remembered. She was supposed to send me more pix and fell off the face of the earth. I am pretty bummed as she told me some stuff (via her dad) that I am still trying to figure out. He asked if the fireplace was still in the back yard, which I knew nothing of and would love to see pix to rebuild it! She did mention he was trying to come back to the area that year and I figured he'd want to visit, but I never heard anything after that.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 PM

25,876 posts, read 49,802,708 times
I've been on both sides and terrific experiences...

Took Mom to the old neighborhood where I was 9 when we moved... we just went for a walk and spent a little time looking at the house... the owner drove up and asked if we needed help...

I said I grew up here and Mom just got nostalgic...

I mentioned having my name and handprint in cement on the patio and Mom did all the landscaping and it was in the Home and Garden section of the newspaper with pictures...

The owner and his wife couldn't have been more gracious... the hand print was still there and they said people have asked about it... I sent a scan of the news paper story to them and they were thrilled...

My Grandmother visited the home where she was raised... it had changed a lot and the old house was divided into units... the owner's son lived in one and he was fascinated to hear the stories from 80+ years ago... the foundation for the small barn was still in the backyard and at one time kept a pony...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 PM

5,762 posts, read 3,199,617 times
My mom locks the door when she sees me coming, but I still have my key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or