U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:23 PM

4,858 posts, read 2,155,582 times

Advertisements

Ours was on the historic home tour. We were pleased to open it up for tours. We knew ahead of time what to stash away and what to shine up prior to the events. We enjoyed doing a walk thru with a family that had owned the home before us. We often wondered about some of the unique markings we found. We did give to the historic society some of the items we found in the basement and attic area as they served the community better then us.

One of my grandparents home where I resided for two years..went up for sale. I silently wept going thru it. It's where many life changing events happened...so I had an attachment to it. Only to see so much of it was gutted..remodeled and the 'charm' was gone. It was a colonial Jefferson style ..and somehow they ruined even that architect. My grandmother was a garden afficienodo. Gone were her beautiful rose garden..lilies..and the weeping willow tree us kids caught shade for in those summer play days....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:24 PM

6,996 posts, read 5,201,036 times
Totally out of the blue? No.

If they were visiting my neighbors that I'm friendly with and came over I'd be more inclined.

In my current house it sounds like the original (or most recent long term) owner's kids/grandkids lived there after she passed, and there were problems with drugs and crime, so in my own case, no.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:41 PM

1,459 posts, read 333,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
In the past, people would ask the current owners/renters of the homes they grew up in if they could visit and think and talk about the past, for nostalgia.

I doubt that happens often today.

If a stranger shows up at your doorstep, young or old, and tells you he/she grew up in the house you are occupying now, would you let that person in and reminisce?
No.

Only time I recall was as a child, my family took me to NJ to visit their old street. And saw the house was FSBO. Knocked on the door, no appointment, and my grandpa introduced himself as the previous owner. In addition to there being a language barrier, the man who came to the door was a little skeptical, as he should be. My grandpa stated his last name and advised it was engraved in the edge of one of the stairs, to go see. Sure enough, a long, Polish name was found on the edge of the 7th step to the second floor.

We were invited in and walked throughout for 3-5 minutes and the current owners showed us the work they'd done since they bought the house.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 PM

8,359 posts, read 12,065,288 times
One day in about 2002 I was eating brunch in the dining room of my house in Virginia with my husband and a couple of friends when we saw some guys talking in front of our house. Since we lived on a quiet cul-de-sac, this was unusual. I went outside and asked if I could help them, and they said they grew up in our 1953 house (so about 50 years earlier). Their parents were the original owners of the house, and we were about the 6th owners.

The men were from Texas and were in town for a funeral. They didn't ask, but I invited them inside to have a look around. They were excited to be asked in. They told us what was different about the house when they lived there (e.g. screened porch was a patio), and they told us some of the other changes their parents had made to the home over the years. I had a ton of questions for them, some of which they couldn't answer, so they gave me the email address of their mom who lived as a missionary in Africa. There were some things that I could never figure out about the house, so I was anxious to learn more. The mother wrote me back a very nice email and explained how some of the house evolved - they had a basement dug up and a master bedroom added. They added a bathroom, etc. It was so nice to be in touch with the original family, and they were excited as well. The mom even knew some of our neighbors who were still living in the neighborhood (actually their children were) from the 1950s. It was a nice connection, and I am so glad I invited them in.

Sadly, we sold the house in 2013 and the new owners tore it down. So now I only have memories of it along with some pictures and her email.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,305,654 times
I didn't have a very good childhood, so when I went back to see the old neighborhoods, I wasn't really nostalgic about seeing the inside of the houses.

However, forty years ago I had done some housesitting for friends of my grandmother once and had what I consider a paranormal experience in their house, confirmed by the owner. As I know the owner has long since died and sold the house, I longed to go back when I was there in 2012 and ask the new owners if they had the same experiences. I didn't have the nerve. Probably just as well.

But depending on how I felt about the person, I would probably let them in to look around the old home. There's so much you can learn about the neighborhood and the neighbors from people who used to live there.

I went to South Grove elementary school and I'd bet no one remembers the house that used to be right next to the school. I remember the time the little old man came out to talk to me and let all his dogs out. I must have been in 2nd grade at the time. To me, it seemed like there were dozens of dogs, but there were maybe only 4 or 5. That little old man spent a half hour talking to me like I was the most important thing in his life right then and I've never forgotten that, plus I got to pet all the dogs except one, which kept running around the house to bark at me from each side.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:39 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,222,515 times
I personally haven't owned a home that's been old enough to have people come by wanting to see it.

But I do think that if I go back to KC and saw my old house, I'd probably knock on the door and hope to see inside again, so if something similar happens to me someday and someone comes knocking, I'd let them in if they weren't creepy.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 11,256,268 times
I have often wanted to visit an old house and tell someone, "I used to live here!" but I don't think I would ask to come inside. If they said, "Great! Would you like to come inside and chat a bit." then I might go inside. But the other poster saying a couple got invited inside, claiming they used to live there and then later, came back and robbed the house, kind of spooked me!

Old 06-26-2018, 05:45 PM

19,036 posts, read 10,066,076 times
A lot of great stories here! I would let someone in, esp. if they had photos or something else to show their connection to the house, and assuming the place was reasonably neat. Actually, if it wasn't ready for company, I'd ask them to come back in half an hour so I could tidy up, rather than say no.

But I wouldn't let someone in my current house, because I'm the first owner, and before that, this area was an airport, so no one was living here and it would definitely be a scam! lol!

Old 06-26-2018, 07:22 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,767,586 times
I’ve never asked to go in any of my old houses ( although I would enjoy seeing the inside of my childhood home built in 1960 to see what updates they’ve done.) I did drive by that house in the mid 80s and was so surprised how different things looked with the trees grown up I sent a few old pictures of the house with little/no landscaping to “current owner” with a note and a SASE so they could return the pictures, which they did with a lovely note. They were the people who bought it from my parents in 1968 and had raised their own family there.

This summer I was going through some old photographs and came across one of a house we bought in 1989. Similar scenario as above - the trees in that neighborhood (it’s not far from where I live now) have grown up beautifully and the soybean field beyond our back yard is now houses. I sent it to “current owner” but told them they didn’t need to return it. I hope they enjoyed it.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,080,337 times
This is the house I grew up in and stayed in our family for 30 years. During the summer months we would sit on the railing on the front porch. There was a rule that you had to be 13 years old to sit on the railing (it was fairly narrow and Mom was afraid the younger ones would fall off). Years later when my nieces were in their 20's they arranged with the owners to visit the house so they could sit on the porch railing. They have since returned with their children so they too could sit on the railing. The new owners are very gracious about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you let a person visit your home out of nostalgia?-glen-street.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or