U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:13 PM

219 posts, read 74,732 times

Advertisements

I'm the third owner of my house. The second owner stopped by twice when I first moved in and he drives by periodically as he still lives in the area. He's a bit odd and relatively harmless, but I'd not let him into the house if I was here alone.

If the original owners or their relatives were to stop by, I'd love to give them "the nickel tour." I'm actively in the process of bringing the house back to what it once was in terms of aesthetics. According to long-time neighborhood residents, the house was built by a local contractor for his daughter, which likely explains some of the details on this house that wouldn't have been present in a typical small home of the era and neighborhood. (All brick, swirled real plaster walls in the main living areas, a step-down living room, coved ceiling and glass block windows in the living room, a curved wall where the staircase begins, custom cabinets with a ton of storage and higher end stainless appliances in the kitchen, a large wood burning fireplace, deep and fairly wide below grade garage, multi-level back yard with double retaining walls, double closets in what would have been the master bedroom, etc.). Having photos of this house during the construction phase or original building plans as well as stories about the house and neighborhood would be a bonus.

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 06-27-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 12:24 PM

982 posts, read 283,099 times
We were in such a house for many years. The elderly children of the original owners contacted us or stopped by. Their children. The children's children returning to college nearby. The oldest family member even made a quick stop with the youngest little family member to get pix and show her the old family house.

We had family of the builder stop by too. Some younger family members asked if they could get some wedding pictures in front of the house...and no one minded that there was a big long neighborhood yard sale going on at the same time.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Status: "If you don't like it start your own social media platform." (set 4 hours ago)

6,834 posts, read 2,552,255 times
Something sort of like this happened to us. My house is less than 20 years old but about 3 years after we moved in on Halloween a grandparent of a trick or treater mentioned that she had been the original owner(we are the 3rd) of the house and she and my wife chatted for maybe ten minutes or so. Mostly about original finishes to the house and things we changed and if she ever had to deal with these certain neighbors when she lived here or not. Haven't seen her since, and we never got robbed so I'm guessing she was legit.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,117,883 times
I've done it. My ex and I built a house in Parker, CO (with our own 4 hands) back in '90 and I was driving past 12 years later, on my way cross-country. I asked the owner if I could see it, told her I had built it. She was very gracious and it was a strange, nostalgic feeling to see it again, and remember all the hard work. I think I'm paying for it now with my arthritic joints!

We had a summer house growing up, in rural MN. Scores of cousins would gather and we had the best times there over the years. We called it The Red House. It finally sold, and the new owners say every year someone stops by to see it out of nostalgia for those "good ole days".

Never occurred to me it could be a problem....

Old 06-27-2018, 02:21 PM

13,436 posts, read 24,222,225 times
I asked to do this once and they let me! I visited my first childhood home about 40 years after I left. It seemed so small. Much smaller than I remembered. I chatted with the owners quite a bit and told the stories about my life in the house. I think they enjoyed it too!

Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM

4,003 posts, read 1,781,697 times
If my sister & I can’t keep our childhood home in the family when that time comes, I won’t even be able to drive within a mile of it. That would destroy me.

I live in the same city I grew up in, after being born overseas. It’s a large city, not just in population but in sprawl & after leaving home at age 16 I’ve lived all over the place. But THAT house is my house. Our house.

My parents picked out the floor plan as the neighborhood was being developed. They picked the lot because it was so big; one of the largest for several blocks. My mom had told my dad: “I want to have the home with the yard that all the children in the neighborhood want to come play in.”

While my dad was at work, my mom would load up my little sister & I to go “see our house”. On the weekends she would ask my dad: “Can we go see the house?” And he would smile & reply: “You mean the hole in the ground at the construction site? Okay ...”

Finally, the builder had to ask my dad if he could “Please let your wife know that I’m going to get in a lot of trouble with my insurance? She’s just ... here ...an awful lot. And I’m really not supposed to let people in ... here ... yet.”

In the 1st year after we moved in, the sod was laid & the fence built. A dog run was built. A sandbox. A garden. A massive wooden swing set, custom designed by my dad. A tetherball pole & “The Wildnerness”; a rambling thicket of bushes & trees & secret hideaways ... All full of kids. Our front & backyards were full of children, all the time.

One at a time, little (& big) projects for improvements indoors took place.. My mom was meticulous with every square inch of that house; walls, baseboards, floors; all cleaned daily. The house is 46 years old & unless wood floors were put in; the original carpet is still there & it doesn’t even look worn.

Mom died last year & my dad wants to put in his will to sell the house after he’s gone because he wants to be able to leave us with “enough” of an inheritance. Neither my sister or I can bear the thought. It was “ours” before it even “was”. It’s just her & I in our generation but we gave my parents 15 grandchildren & the house has literally been filled with children for decades; just as my mom envisioned.

I can’t even entertain the thought of non-family living there; I don’t care care if I die in abject poverty; I’d give my share to my sister if that’s what was needed to keep it in the family.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:12 PM

193 posts, read 76,742 times
We have a sad story about this.

Years ago we lived in a rather charming home we bought when the original owner had to go to assisted living due to dementia. One day she got on the bus from her facility and made her way back to our house, sitting on our stoop/porch. She was confused and thought she still lived there. We didn't know where she lived or even who she was until my husband recalled her name from the purchase. We called the city Adult Protective Services and they sent the police and a social worker who finally figured out where she belonged. In the meantime she kept trying to come in telling us that she must have forgotten her keys. She cried and cried when they literally had to drag her away. It was very depressing.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 PM

2,259 posts, read 1,750,196 times
If I felt the person was genuine, perhaps by answering questions I already knew about the place then yes I would, because I personally want to know more about the house, 1929 brick foursquare that was originally built as a Supervisors house in a steel town. I know it was the first house built in this section of a subdivision, I know some of the history after it was built but I keep finding out new things about it's history.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM

261 posts, read 107,099 times
I've tried to do this with my childhood home in Omaha, NE that I grew up in the 80s. I went to visit in the 90s and the lady politely declined, although she remembered me as the "little kid" that lived there when she bought the home.

About 10 years later I saw that the home was sold again. Since I was visiting family this spring there, I went to the house and knocked on the door/rang the doorbell. A car was in the driveway but no one answered.

I would let someone view my house if they wanted to check it out (and they didn't seem scary). My wife wouldn't let anyone in, no matter what.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM

15,642 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
In the past, people would ask the current owners/renters of the homes they grew up in if they could visit and think and talk about the past, for nostalgia.

I doubt that happens often today.

If a stranger shows up at your doorstep, young or old, and tells you he/she grew up in the house you are occupying now, would you let that person in and reminisce?
I've been both the visitor and the visited in recent years, so my answer would be yes unless there was something that set off my spidey-sense about the person making the request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or