U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 03:34 PM

24,295 posts, read 13,771,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I love it too and move often! I love looking online, then going to see the place, planning it all out and moving (not so thrilled with the packing and unpacking of boxes).

Right now I'm in Miami and I bought a condo 2 years ago and I think it's gone down in price. Since I'm getting ready to retire in a couple of years I might have to sell and buy a smaller place to get my payment/condo fees down.

I'd love a small single family home but there is really nothing too affordable in the county for me to even look at, yea there are 200K places in not so nice areas, but I want a 200k nice newer 2/2 SFH in South Miami, Dadelade, Kendall area, but there isn't much out there.

I have been thinking of going back to Brevard County, I know I can find and afford what I want up there but I love Miami and most of my family lives down here.
How often do you move ? I know Miami somewhat well as I have family in Fort Lauderdale . Miami definitely has a different vibe and vibrancy . I would be surprised if your condo went down in price if you bought 2 years ago the market has been pretty strong there from what Iíve heard and seen .. I had seen in the lower end parts of Miami houses have gone up a lot the past several years doubling or more . Iím guessing a lot of people from South America buying property .

Florida still seems to be a good value overall versus here in California . I invested in some homes up in Jacksonville some years ago amazing how low the prices were .. prices have gone up but still very affordable .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
I know I am the odd person out, but I love buying a new property. Whether its a home for myself, an investment, whatever-- I love touring, choosing, offering, talking to lenders, the whole thing. I think its exciting.

I don't even mind opening my house up for sale. Its always a challenge to get it ready but its one I enjoy. And there is such optimism when we put it on the market that we will get a great offer (though that doesn't always happen.)

Anyone enjoy buying and selling? Or do you just think its a chore?
Iíve only bought one home to live in myself and have sold that one but I have bought investment properties .
It is fun . Iím not a big fan of packing , moving and unpacking though .

When I sold my house I moved out before listing it so I wasnít there and didnít have to deal with scheduling showings and all that. I know a lot of people post on her about how that could be annoying and I do see that. Listing agent scheduled everything pretty much so didnít have to worry about much .

How often do you move ?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 PM

738 posts, read 406,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How often do you move ? I know Miami somewhat well as I have family in Fort Lauderdale . Miami definitely has a different vibe and vibrancy . I would be surprised if your condo went down in price if you bought 2 years ago the market has been pretty strong there from what I’ve heard and seen .. I had seen in the lower end parts of Miami houses have gone up a lot the past several years doubling or more . I’m guessing a lot of people from South America buying property .

Florida still seems to be a good value overall versus here in California . I invested in some homes up in Jacksonville some years ago amazing how low the prices were .. prices have gone up but still very affordable .
I've moved quite a lot in the last 25 years! Maybe 10 times? Not always to a place I've purchased, but to 3 or so apartments.

I'm only estimating that my condo went down in price due to the Zillow emails I get with the price on it... but I read that Z isn't always accurate. Or maybe it's Redfin emails I get???

Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I've moved quite a lot in the last 25 years! Maybe 10 times? Not always to a place I've purchased, but to 3 or so apartments.

I'm only estimating that my condo went down in price due to the Zillow emails I get with the price on it... but I read that Z isn't always accurate. Or maybe it's Redfin emails I get???

Oh ok that is quite a bit , but I could see that being exciting. Nice thing about selling a place you lived in 2 years+ is the cap gains tax is tax free.

Yeah they aren't too accurate. Might be including different buildings besides your building. You'll want to look at actual sold prices in your building that are similar to your condo unit.

Actually for my own home, there was a $100,000 difference in 'estimate' between Redfin and Zillow last year when I was selling mine.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:54 PM

10,284 posts, read 6,548,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I only buy new property. No funk from prior owners.
A lot of times junk from prior owners is better. You never know the quality of a new home until you move in and have lived there a while. If you move into a house that is 25 years old you know if it has held up or not.

Plus with new homes things can come up that you have no way of knowing about for years later like the Chinese drywall problem, who knows what the next new problem will be and when.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM

10,284 posts, read 6,548,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Oh ok that is quite a bit , but I could see that being exciting. Nice thing about selling a place you lived in 2 years+ is the cap gains tax is tax free.

Yeah they aren't too accurate. Might be including different buildings besides your building. You'll want to look at actual sold prices in your building that are similar to your condo unit.

Actually for my own home, there was a $100,000 difference in 'estimate' between Redfin and Zillow last year when I was selling mine.
Zillow tends to be low and Redfin tends to be high.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A lot of times junk from prior owners is better. You never know the quality of a new home until you move in and have lived there a while. If you move into a house that is 25 years old you know if it has held up or not.

Plus with new homes things can come up that you have no way of knowing about for years later like the Chinese drywall problem, who knows what the next new problem will be and when.

Yeah that often seems to be the case in a lot of situations... there is the saying.. "they don't make em like they used to"...

One should still get a home inspection most likely even if buying a new home..but that's not going to guarantee there won't be issues down the road.

In my area there aren't really any new homes except for a small amount of these "small lot homes' . I guess it'll be interesting to see how they hold up over time.
Most homes here have been built in the 1950s or 1960s or so. That's when the areas was really booming post World War 2 .

Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM

6,185 posts, read 3,310,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Youíve got that backwards. How often do we find out about some old material/technique being a problem but it is too big of an issue to go back and retrofit everything? Building codes are continually evolving for the better over time.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM

2,784 posts, read 1,587,221 times
I hate having to keep my house "show-worthy" partly because I have two kids and a dog and partly because I'm naturally messy, so having to keep everything pristine and spotless is a real chore for me.

I somewhat like looking at houses, but the last couple times I've done it, I've been under a deadline to find a house, so that added stress takes away from the fun. Add to that the fact that the last time we moved, we were under time pressure AND we were looking in a "hot" real estate market, where in many cases, houses would sell well above asking price, with bids due at a certain deadline, with people even making offers with no contingencies -- not even an inspection. And at our price point, no house was going to be "perfect" for us -- every one was going to have some major piece that we really weren't thrilled with. I still mostly enjoyed it, though.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 AM

8,762 posts, read 8,984,960 times
I've done it three times so far. For some reason I enjoy the process....just not the actual moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or