Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

What are the issues I will face if I buy a "fixer upper" and don't want to fix it up?

In theory could I live in a house that is decrepit?

Why? Why not?

What are jobs that I will HAVE to fix if they come up? Roof that leaks?

I DO NOT WANT TO FINANCE! I don't want a mortgage? Some of you are aware with which the ballpark of lump sum of money I will have in the not-too-distant future.

Why is this a terrible idea? Why is it potentially a doable/workable situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 11:55 AM

167 posts, read 168,274 times
It’s just a dumb idea. You’ll take an appreciable asset and turn it into a liability. Maintenance and upkeep is a part of homeownership.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:59 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If the house is that bad, the city or utility companies can condemn the place. Like if the gas company comes out and sees an old unit that isn't safe, it gets red-tagged and you can't have gas until it's resolved.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If it is too bad, code enforcement will come by and fine you. The city can condemn the house and make you knock it down.

If you don't keep the maintanence up, the building will rot away.

You will have enough cash to buy a decent small house in a low cost of living state. You don't have any reason that prevents you from moving to another area.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 PM

127 posts, read 107,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
What are the issues I will face if I buy a "fixer upper" and don't want to fix it up?

1. It depends on how much of a fixer-upper it is. My cousin bought a fantastic house via foreclosure and it needs updating and finishing touches, but it’s in no danger of being condemned or of harming them.

2. In theory, would you want to own a house that is decrepit? Would you want to take most of, if not all, your liquid assets and throw them away on something you aren’t going to care for? Why would you do that? I just bought my first house and my dude, I pick up every single crumb the second I see it. When it’s yours, you want to love it and care for it, not watch it fall apart.

3. It is workable for a time. You’ve seen Hoarders, people live in houses that should be condemned for years - sometimes decades. They also get sick often and when the house gets flagged by a friend or relative or neighbor or city official, they leave with absolutely nothing. Seems like an enormously unnecessary risk especially given the sometimes-adversarial relationship you have with your siblings.

I don’t really care if you do or don’t take out a mortgage, but you understand if you DID have one then the lender would carry the majority of the risk of the property depreciating, right? Meaning if you financed a fixer-upper and let it fall to pieces, you wouldn’t have spent all your cash living there — for however long. Could be a few months, could be a few decades. Impossible to say.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
If your title description "flophouse" is accurate, there is likely another issue beyond maintenance that will keep you busy and frustrated. How many of your 'guests' do you think will pay their rent promptly on time? (This problem will likely be inversely proportional to the age and condition of the property. AKA: just how "floppy" is it?)

Will you be in charge of collections and evictions ... or do you plan to hire someone else to do that.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:01 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Thanks for the responses.

Let me pose another question.

Houses that are in the $120K range versus the $70-80K range.

Are you more likely to get a "lemon" in the $120K range? Versus a "fixer upper" - at least you know you're working with a turd and issues might not be covered up?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM

127 posts, read 107,212 times
Quote:
Houses that are in the $120K range versus the $70-80K range.

Are you more likely to get a "lemon" in the $120K range? Versus a "fixer upper" - at least you know you're working with a turd and issues might not be covered up?
1. Your prices are specific to your area and housing type, we have no way of comparing what that price difference means in your market.

2. My instinct is simply no. You’re not likely to get “a lemon” (what does that mean in the context of a house? I thought it referred specifically to a machine with faulty elements?) at any price if you know what to look for. Do you have a friend or neighbor or hired contractor (I dunno) who will come out with you and give professional expertise? What are you worried about finding that you couldn’t address with a metric crapton of inspections? How would you handle it in an 80K house versus a 120K house?

Any house will have surprises. We paid for a very expensive sewer inspection and learned we *should* have another ten years in ours, but we know there are no guarantees and are saving up for the inevitable hoping it doesn’t happen sooner. You’re never going to have every answer you want about a property before you have to decide if you’re going to buy it or not.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:32 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If the house is that bad, the city or utility companies can condemn the place. Like if the gas company comes out and sees an old unit that isn't safe, it gets red-tagged and you can't have gas until it's resolved.
You may not be able to insure it either. Including for personal liability. Bad things can happen to neighbors of a decrepit property and they may not be content to just suck it up and stay silent about it.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:39 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:

Why? Why not?

What are jobs that I will HAVE to fix if they come up? Roof that leaks?

I DO NOT WANT TO FINANCE! I don't want a mortgage? Some of you are aware with which the ballpark of lump sum of money I will have in the not-too-distant future.

What do you want the house for? Yourself and how many others? Specific area?

If you mean a little bit outdated, sure, but truly decrepit? I think the reasons you don't want that should be self-explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate