Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,577,334 times

Advertisements

Way back when I sat for my real estate license I missed a question that has plagued me ever since. I have periodically searched the internet for an answer, and have never found a broker who could answer this question for me, so now I am throwing it out to the world.

In the exam I took in Texas back in 1986, the question was "What are the seven estates in real estate?"

I know that the estates are types of ownership, as that was covered in the prelicensing required coursework. I recall being able to remember six, but have never figured out what the seventh was. I can't recount the six now, but examples of estates are the various types of ownership such as airspace, water, mineral, etc..

Anyone get that question right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,248,135 times
Let's see there's Grumpy, Sleepy, Happy, Doc.....oh wait, that's different.

I was thinking that you were referring to fee simple; leasehold; tenant-in-common, joint tenants, estate for years, life estate, and reversionary interest. Are those the ones you're looking for?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

882 posts, read 3,531,295 times
Someone broke out their study guide.. LOL..

Think DMenscha hit the nail on the proverbial head...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:00 PM

649 posts, read 3,438,262 times
Well, technically there may be more than 7. There are all the different kinds of future interests: reversions, remainders (vested and contingent), rights of reentry. There are estates for years (which are one type of leasehold estates - the others are at will and periodic, e.g., month-to-month) and for life (your own or someone else's, which is an estate "pur autre vie" (french for "for another life"). Fee simple, fee tail (abolished in many states, so perhaps not included on your exam). There are also springing interests and shifting interests. Then, nowadays, we have interests in cooperatives and condominiums, too.

I love real property law!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM

286 posts, read 1,319,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Well, technically there may be more than 7. There are all the different kinds of future interests: reversions, remainders (vested and contingent), rights of reentry. There are estates for years (which are one type of leasehold estates - the others are at will and periodic, e.g., month-to-month) and for life (your own or someone else's, which is an estate "pur autre vie" (french for "for another life"). Fee simple, fee tail (abolished in many states, so perhaps not included on your exam). There are also springing interests and shifting interests. Then, nowadays, we have interests in cooperatives and condominiums, too.

I love real property law!
OMG - you and my DH would get along SO well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate