Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:22 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Funny, I did a Google search for "Garage Homes" and found the same house and the floor plan. A little small for living space, but nice IMHO.

I agree this one is a little too small. There are other plans, also from the ePlans web site, that offer nicer living space design; slightly larger, better flow, not having the kitchen by the main entrance, etc.

Many identical plans appear on multiple home plan web sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times
We have friends who have a structure like this only a few more bays, wider. Living quarters above for older children if they want, but the kids like to stay in the main house usually. So,more for overflow. Looks very much like this though. Very nice. We're friends of their friends and, somehow, get invited to their parties held outdoors. They are into cars, too, and open the garage doors on party days for all to see and admire the vehicles and, for the like-minded, to compare. And it was built a few years ago. I'ts behind their main house...big and lovely. I know they're in a high end subdivision with rules but don't know what they are. I do know you can't see the garage from the community road nor can you see any other homes from their garage so I guess the neighbors can't see the garage either.

Don't know if that was required or just much appreciated.

A friend who lives in a town with endless old beautiful buildings and homes...but not officially a historic district...has a structure that was beautiful carriage houses for many carriages. It went with one of the mansions beside it. Now, it's been restored. The quarters above have been redone into rentals. The owner has a requirement that the places are kept just so and has someone keep an eye on it for him. Very nice repurposing.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Any experience or opinions on Garage Homes? These dwellings typically have 3 or 4 bays of garage space on the first level, and a 2 BR Apartment/Small Home on the second level.

I am interested in construction one on an empty lot in our neighborhood. It will be architecturally appealing to blend with existing home and have ~1200 of living space on the second floor. Second floor will be finished so as to qualify as a residential property rather than commercial. First floor will be used to house my/our extra automobiles and give me a space in which to perform maintenance.

Second floor may be used by our out-of-state children when they visit (location is one block from our home) and might even become our permanent home at some point in our post-retirement future. Considering including a residential elevator to reach the second floor, or at least reserving space for one in the floor plan.

Since car collecting seems to be an affliction suffered by retirees and pre-retirees, the same group often looking to downsize and move to single level living, I am hopeful resale will not be a complete bust.

The image below is the smaller version of what I have been looking at, only 3 cars and 1 BR in this one but it will give readers a good idea. The larger 2 BR model looks more like a split-level home, or home atop the garage, rather than a carriage house.
Nothing new here. The garages with living space above are also called townhouses when attached to other units. Millions of them out here.
Most of the time, these are supplemental structures behind the main house. Living area is handy for guests or man-cave.
We have a two-car garage in house with detached 3-car garage in rear. Like most people over 50, I have little interest in climbing stairs.
Build it and see what happens.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Everyone seems to have missed my comment that the home would include a residential elevator/lift, or a fully framed chase to accommodate one in the future.
Correction: Robino1 saw my comment.
We got it. Every new home in Waveland Mississippi and Port St Joe, Florida looks like that.
Many have exterior "freight" elevators for those that don't want to climb all those steps 20-times a day.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
That seems like an interesting idea. I've met retirees, all single men who were basically looking for a large garage with a small living space attached. I'd expect an easy resale.

If your planning and zoning department approves it, go for it!
Attached yes, but above in not good for retirees or for resale to them, when many get older climbing the stairs is an issue.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
There is one like this in my neighborhood, the majority of homes are only 1 level in SW Florida but this one has a double garage and the living area upstairs, it looks like there is room for a living area behind the garage but there are no windows form the vantage point that I see the home, they also have a third detached garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate