Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times

Advertisements

Who uses them?

I see many HOA type developments with a common area clubhouse, often including a hot tub.

My wife and I are home shopping for a retirement home in an area that gets cold winters, and she thinks a common indoor hot tub is a good feature to soak cold bones in. I dont like them. Public people stew baths is how I see them.

Who uses these regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 12:13 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
I suppose you don't like association swimming pools either??

Different people have different phobias. You should look for a house with a personal hot tub or do without.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I suppose you don't like association swimming pools either??

Different people have different phobias. You should look for a house with a personal hot tub or do without.
I have done water treatment/QAE work, and pool maintenence in the past as a living, including testing these bodies of water for many different things.

Hot tubs are much different creatures than pools as far as "funkiness" goes, especially when maintenence is poor or neglected.

We are looking at developments that dont allow indoor hot tubs at all (I do want one), and have limited space for outdoor units.

I was just curious as to how many people actually find common use hot tubs as a positive feature that they would be inclined to use. My wife is very keen on one.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I have done water treatment/QAE work, and pool maintenence in the past as a living, including testing these bodies of water for many different things.

Hot tubs are much different creatures than pools as far as "funkiness" goes, especially when maintenence is poor or neglected.

We are looking at developments that dont allow indoor hot tubs at all (I do want one), and have limited space for outdoor units.

I was just curious as to how many people actually find common use hot tubs as a positive feature that they would be inclined to use. My wife is very keen on one.
You can't have a large jetted tub?

Old 07-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can't have a large jetted tub?
Jetted tubs often have their own hygiene issues, they need to be cycled with strong cleaners often to get the jetted passage ways clean. And are usually too small to accommodate more than one person.

But yes, thats an option.

I dont consider my preference for clean water to be a phobia.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:12 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I’ve used them in the past at gyms and hotels and on cruises. Don’t like it because my hot tub time should be relaxing, IMO, and not social — and those situations lend to people wanting to chat. And don’t like sharing a hot tub with kids.

Our 55+ community has a couple of them and my condo in Dallas has one. I like the one at my condo because if there’s any issue with it I call the concierge and there’s an immediate call out to maintenance for fixes. And the water is tested by maintenance a few times a day. The same is the case at our 55+ community. I did use it one time, no issues. Just don’t really enjoy sharing a hot tub with portly old men. (they probably say the same about chubby old ladies).

But have an inground one, though, at my personal home in the 55+ community and I can skinny dip in mine — which really is the best way to enjoy a cold, starry night!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
LOL
And, ewwwww….

"People stew." Yep.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:30 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
It's difficult to make sure people have adhered to signs saying "shower well first". Gross when people get in after a run or workout. Disgusting when the tubs are not checked regularly for anything infectious. Makes the appearance of anything disgusting feel like a safety net.

It's too bothersome and worrisome and the opposite of relaxing and retiring or vacationing. And then how frustrating to realize you pay a fee and don't get protected.

And nicer to have one at home rather than going out in the cold and walking or driving home afterwards.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’ve used them in the past at gyms and hotels and on cruises. Don’t like it because my hot tub time should be relaxing, IMO, and not social — and those situations lend to people wanting to chat. And don’t like sharing a hot tub with kids.

Our 55+ community has a couple of them and my condo in Dallas has one. I like the one at my condo because if there’s any issue with it I call the concierge and there’s an immediate call out to maintenance for fixes. And the water is tested by maintenance a few times a day. The same is the case at our 55+ community. I did use it one time, no issues. Just don’t really enjoy sharing a hot tub with portly old men. (they probably say the same about chubby old ladies).

But have an inground one, though, at my personal home in the 55+ community and I can skinny dip in mine — which really is the best way to enjoy a cold, starry night!
The bolded part is where I don't trust common use ones. They may be tested for chlorine/PH (if the test logs are even trusted) but these logs are often just "pen wiped" checks. I have seen it. And how often is the water completely changed? Sometimes people bathe in these things. And it isn't just kids who pee in them.

I had to check one under contract in a hotel basement that had no means at all of draining it. It was used by a lot of varied people. Maintenence logs filled out, but no test kits, chemicals, or other data could be produced at all. I figured the same water had been in it for over a year, water only added on occasion. I red tagged it.

Yuck.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Who uses them?

I see many HOA type developments with a common area clubhouse, often including a hot tub.

My wife and I are home shopping for a retirement home in an area that gets cold winters, and she thinks a common indoor hot tub is a good feature to soak cold bones in. I dont like them. Public people stew baths is how I see them.

Who uses these regularly?
Yup. DNA soup is what I call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate