Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:41 PM

141 posts, read 404,808 times

Advertisements

I sold several properties in the last several years. All appraisal reports looked like copy/paste, some terrible pics thrown in and appraised value within 2% of my asking price I pulled put outa my .... seriously.

WA licensed appraiser - Associate degree sufficient? Im sure you can get to PhD to justify those insane costs but to appraise a simple house is that really necessary? No.

I bet appraisals are simple data entry into a software that does all the calculations and form preparation.

Dont care about experience required, mist jobs require some supervised training.

State tests are irrelevant. Most professions require some form of test.

Gas money? Thats funny. Here's your $1.50 for driving 5 miles to my house. Do you want to be compensated for food too? Got hungry while typing up my report? Pathetic excuse.

Unless youre a doctor, lawyer or some astro physicyst you shouldn't be making more than $50/hr, thats some real professions requiring bachelor degree, engineering, nursing etc... actual massive knowledge and vast diverse complex skills... not glorified data entry.

I was applying for a loan... all cu and banks are quoting $700+ appraisal. Appraisers are todays real estate mafia. I wish someone in the gvnt would look into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 AM

575 posts, read 656,815 times
Don't want to pay for an appraisal? Then just use your own money.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,324,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
I sold several properties in the last several years. All appraisal reports looked like copy/paste, some terrible pics thrown in and appraised value within 2% of my asking price I pulled put outa my .... seriously.

WA licensed appraiser - Associate degree sufficient? Im sure you can get to PhD to justify those insane costs but to appraise a simple house is that really necessary? No.

I bet appraisals are simple data entry into a software that does all the calculations and form preparation.

Dont care about experience required, mist jobs require some supervised training.

Gas money? Thats funny. Here's your $1.50 for driving 5 miles to my house. Do you want to be compensated for food too? Got hungry while typing up my report? Pathetic excuse.

Unless youre a doctor, lawyer or some astro physicyst you shouldn't be making more than $50/hr, thats some real professions requiring bachelor degree, engineering, nursing etc... actual massive knowledge and vast diverse complex skills... not glorified data entry.

I was applying for a loan... all cu and banks are quoting $700+ appraisal. Appraisers are todays real estate mafia. I wish someone in the gvnt would look into that.

As soon as you understand the housing market is a big racket in all aspects you’ll be better off. You can join the crowd or stand on the sidelines.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:39 AM

141 posts, read 404,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
Don't want to pay for an appraisal? Then just use your own money.
Would you be ok if someone erected a toll booth on your commute charging $20 one way and saying "if you don't like it, just walk".

Just because some racketeering practice exists doesn't mean we should be ok with it.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,141 posts, read 76,719,434 times
This is the disconnected from reality LOL thread of the day!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 AM

6,279 posts, read 4,156,214 times
Because you are paying for their training, certification and expertise and a good one will be looking out for your best interests and examine a house for all sorts of issues and then give a buyer a thorough report.

I would not want to buy a house without a home inspection.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:17 AM

15,208 posts, read 7,267,805 times
Quote:

$1.50 for 5 miles of driving? The IRS flat rate for mileage is 54.5 cents per mile. It's more than just gas costs when driving for business.

You lack any real understanding of how much people are paid for professional jobs. Your $50 per hour equates to $100,000 per year. Where I work, anyone with a degree and 10 years of experience makes more than that, with many making in the mid-$200k range.

Your purported $25 per hour is completely unrealistic, and wouldn't come close to covering all of the costs for an appraiser.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM

15,737 posts, read 20,293,560 times
If you think appraisals are expensive, wait until you have a boundary survey done and the surveyors are on site for 20 min and send you a $1500 bill.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,324,356 times
Quote:
Would you be ok if someone erected a toll booth on your commute charging $20 one way and saying "if you don't like it, just walk".

Just because some racketeering practice exists doesn't mean we should be ok with it.

That road analogy doesn’t make sense.

When I bought my house and every house I went under contract came up very close to whatever the agreed upon price was. My latest purchase came up 10k higher than I offered. Some were a few thousand lower. Appraisals are part of the sale process if you’re borrowing money. Regardless weather I or anyone likes it or not it’s just the way it is if you’re borrowing.

A while back mortgage lenders were notorious for pressuring appraisers to inflate values. Lenders often had a cozy relationship with a handful of appraisers who got the bulk of their business, and often consulted the loan officers about what value they needed to make the deal work. That contributed to the inflated housing prices.
Not sure if they still have drive by appraisals.

Now that’s all changed. Appraisers are pulled out of a pool. I don’t think any agents are allowed to be at the property other than opening the door. I may be wrong maybe the agents can be there.
I personally know a former RE agent who did jail time for the things he did during the bubble days. Even though lots of agents were doing it he got caught. He told me what he did. Got a felony conviction.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-06-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 AM

2,524 posts, read 3,074,333 times
"I sold several properties in the last several years."

I THOUGHT I smelled an absentee landlord!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate