Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 214,790 times

Advertisements

The house I'm buying appraised for a lot more than my accepted offer. As the closing date is within a couple of days, I started wondering if the seller might back out of the sale in order to try and get a higher offer that is closer to the appraised value. To be clear, this isn't something that is happening to me. Just curiosity mostly and wondering if anyone has had this experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
How would the seller know the appraised value?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
How would the seller know the appraised value?

I don't know. Would they typically be given that info?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
I never out the appraised value when representing a client, only if it is a problem. I just let the sellers agent know the appraiser report is in and the value is OK.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I never out the appraised value when representing a client, only if it is a problem. I just let the sellers agent know the appraiser report is in and the value is OK.

Thanks. This is pretty much what I found on my internet search. There were just very few differing opinions that made me wonder.

Last edited by mil88lim; 08-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Buyer pays for the appraisal as it's for the buyer's knowledge that the house is worth the price. Seller doesn't pay for it so they don't get to see it. The only time a seller sees an appraisal is when it is low and the buyer wants a price reduction.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil88lim View Post
I don't know. Would they typically be given that info?
No. Your question is a non-issue.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:56 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Besides the fact that most sellers do not know the appraised value, there is also the fact that most contracts do not give the seller the right to just change their mind. If there isn't some valid reason the house can't close (no clear title, or the seller died and the house is going into probate, or foreclosure or something), then the seller has to go forward with the sale. If they don't, most contracts I've seen say that the buyer can sue for specific performance (basically, force the seller to sell). Buyers seem to have a lot more protections than sellers do when it comes to real estate transactions.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Besides the fact that most sellers do not know the appraised value, there is also the fact that most contracts do not give the seller the right to just change their mind. If there isn't some valid reason the house can't close (no clear title, or the seller died and the house is going into probate, or foreclosure or something), then the seller has to go forward with the sale. If they don't, most contracts I've seen say that the buyer can sue for specific performance (basically, force the seller to sell). Buyers seem to have a lot more protections than sellers do when it comes to real estate transactions.
Thanks

Old 08-23-2018, 01:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
People do it all the time . I got involved in a sale and three days before we were to move she backed out of the sale . She gave my earnest money back plus some for the trouble . I felt sorry for the other people whose house she was supposed to buy they got stuck with two mortgages for almost 6 months . My agent let me know they finally got a buyer , my agent is also a dear friend of my late father in law . I hope to never be in that position ever again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate