U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 7,130,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Sorry to hear this. Hope it won't be long before you get another offer, and at least you get the earnest money. Small consolation, I know, but I guess it's something.
Not necessarily. In my state, and probably others, there is a financing contingency that will allow a buyer to be released from the contract without penalty if they cannot get financing. They get the earnest money back in these contingencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 02:58 PM

10,439 posts, read 7,532,565 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear this. Hope it won't be long before you get another offer, and at least you get the earnest money. Small consolation, I know, but I guess it's something.
Never saw any. I'll have to ask my realtor about that. I'm working from the other coast.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:47 PM

1,770 posts, read 804,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Not necessarily. In my state, and probably others, there is a financing contingency that will allow a buyer to be released from the contract without penalty if they cannot get financing. They get the earnest money back in these contingencies.

Wow, I didn't know that. That stinks.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM

4,201 posts, read 2,183,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Sellers don't have to accept offers with financing contingencies. "Non-contingent buyers only", "pre-approved" and "pre-approved, non-contingent buyers only" is something that I have often seen in listings here and other places in the U.S.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:44 PM

The house is in wonderful shape. Renovated. Clean. Fresh paint inside and out. Good roof. New gutters. All repairs made from first inspection. I'm trying to load a pic of the backyard gang.
Attached Thumbnails
SOLD! 5 days on the market!-2018-06-23-08-15-18.jpg  

Old 10-17-2018, 05:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 804,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Sellers don't have to accept offers with financing contingencies. "Non-contingent buyers only", "pre-approved" and "pre-approved, non-contingent buyers only" is something that I have often seen in listings here and other places in the U.S.

Easier to insist on things like that in a hot market, though. Although I agree that it's probably the way to go, even in slower markets, just for reasons like this. The buyer wasted a lot of the seller's time with his offer.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,083,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Even pre-approved buyers will probably have a financing contingency, unless the market is crazy ruthless.

Our market is pretty hot, and we can still write in enough contingencies that sellers should only rarely expect to keep Earnest money. I would consider it a token gesture.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 PM

4,201 posts, read 2,183,623 times
Quote:
Easier to insist on things like that in a hot market, though. Although I agree that it's probably the way to go, even in slower markets, just for reasons like this. The buyer wasted a lot of the seller's time with his offer.
I agree that the buyer wasted the seller's time and if the market is turning or has turned toward the buyer's advantage, the seller may not be able to get an equivalent sales price going forward, so the seller's financial position has been put in jeopardy, too.

The market here was extremely hot until recently and many listings stated "NO CONTINGENCIES." Redfin (as one example) has a section where buyer's agents submit information about whether they won or lost in a bidding war and what it took to win the offer. It was typical for the winning offers to go in totally non-contingent, along with significant overbids (20% over, for example).

These offers often stated “Buyer’s offer has no contingencies.” This phrase has become increasingly common in the Bay Area’s competitive real estate market, where buyers are looking for every advantage to stand out from the crowd.

Now that the market has cooled off, at least temporarily, sellers whose property is taken off the market by a buyer who might not be able to close, or might want to back out, stand to lose more (time and money) as interest rates go up.

I've never put this house up for sale before. This past six months I have studied, viewed a lot of homes online and in person, and and spoken to many agents from the standpoint of selling, and from what I have seen and learned, I definitely want to be in a "strong seller's market" position. Some agents are saying that the early Spring will likely be much better for sellers, but who really knows?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 PM

Yeah it somewhat hamstrung us because we had a lot of showings lined up. But I'm across country so I'll be on the hook for the mortgage payment until it sells.
Happy that my current abode is relatively cheap.
Happy that the renovation is over so the guy living there (while he renovates his new place) will start splitting the payment Like he will be splitting the profit. He's managing it and does great keeping it spotless for showing.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:13 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,073,488 times
Well, the headlines have all been about the "hot" market, but there are pockets, lots of them, that are not seeing those "hot" markets.

Mostly I expect those are in remote or challenging locations, such as ours. The few buyers that we have in a summer season are all drying up now, and I expect we have seen the last of our market for the year. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or