Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,546,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
My suggestion is that you prepare a list of everything that you are including and everything that you are excluding. Photos are a good idea, BTW. This will avoid any arguments and misunderstandings later.
Yup that was actually a big sticking point for me when the attorneys negotiated. Because I can't know yet (a lot depends on what's going to fit in my car). We worked out the legal aspects to my satisfaction as seller but them coming in this week could really complicate it.

I feel like it's reasonable for them to wait a couple of weeks, but am glad I posted because I didn't even know this was a thing! Will probably sell my own house next year, and will allow people to measure if my realtor is present.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 12:42 PM

1,078 posts, read 929,413 times
It’s completely normal and that more buyers don’t do it is because they’re idiots. Buyer to verify ALL measurements is standard, and too many people just assume their stuff or their desired pieces will fit. Measuring is a must and I always take a tape measurement along during inspection or on a second or third walkthrough and make sure things can fit through doorways and around corners.

Your concerns are, quite frankly, the strangest part of this story.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:43 PM

1,078 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
They can do that when I remove the items I'm taking. This is about the items. Surely they can wait until Oct. 7. The closing isn't until end of October.

They're actually not even moving in for months (something I forgot to mention in my first post)
Are you sure they don’t have things needing to be special ordered that have lead times?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:43 PM

19,924 posts, read 8,819,714 times
just put a piece of colored tape on anything you may want to take, this isn't hard. Are you sure you want to sell the house? IMO, you're being silly.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:52 PM

14,337 posts, read 11,825,565 times
Not only is it normal for them to want to measure... (it really is very normal!) ... It's normal for them to have a very thorough inspection where they are there, in every room, going over everything about the house in very particular detail. Did they do that? Or not do that already? That usually happens EARLY in the contract... not late.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM

They already did it.

They are welcome to do it again in two weeks, when I've cleared out my mother's ashes, her jewelry, her artwork, all family photos...I mean one room isn't even able to be measured without people walking on items.

They can't do it this week, and as I work from home, they can't do it when I'm there next week.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
just put a piece of colored tape on anything you may want to take, this isn't hard. Are you sure you want to sell the house? IMO, you're being silly.
It is hard when your parent was a borderline hoarder and you have to go through countless items even to find what might be taken. I'm not being silly, and they can wait two weeks.

Why did I post again? I never learn my lesson with city data.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Are you sure they don’t have things needing to be special ordered that have lead times?
I have no idea and that's really not my problem.

I am unfortunately charged with clearing out this entire house on my own with no help while living in another state and trying to work a full time job that exceeds 50 hrs/week lately, and the closing isn't until the end of October - they can wait two weeks.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:55 PM

6,558 posts, read 4,188,303 times
In our first house purchase, we asked if we could go back and measure, and the buyer said 'no' they were in the process of packing/moving. I think some sellers are concerned the buyers may see something they don't like and decide to back out.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,090,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
It is hard when your parent was a borderline hoarder and you have to go through countless items even to find what might be taken. I'm not being silly, and they can wait two weeks.

Why did I post again? I never learn my lesson with city data.
well ....

there's as much info missing as has been given.

let me start back at the first post.

1. It's completely normal for the Buyer to come to the house between contract and close to measure walls, etc for furniture placement (or ordering furniture, or really ANYTHING they want to see the house for).

2. it's also normal as you asked for them to wait 2 weeks, since given the info provided, there is still ample time before closing.

3. They're taking "whatever you leave". Is it contractually this vague and innocuous?

4. Your Realtor is their friend...is she also their Realtor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate