Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

I always go back and measure before I sign on the dotted line although I guess if someone loved a house enough, they could always buy new furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The OP will let the buyers go in but since this is an unusual circumstance and not of her own making, she needs time to get some of her mother's things out first. Buyer can get in and still have TWO weeks before the actual sale. Furthermore, there will be furniture already there. Even if they are ordering new furniture, it's not like they'll be sitting on the floor.

To the buyer it's simply a business deal; to this particular seller, it's a time when she cannot turn into a robot and switch her feelings off. It's the death of her mother. This buyer is being insensitive and feels entitled; they should learn some respect.
you're a psychic? We have no idea the motivation or demeanor of the Buyer. They (simply) asked if they could come take measurements.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:30 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I had to disengage my love for my house when it was on the Market. People picked at the craziest things and I had to develop a thick skin and not take it personally. My house was over inspected by the local ordinances and appraisal and inspection companies. Once it is listed in the MLS , you have opened your house to scrutiny and code standards etc. i seriously doubt that the Buyer was allowed to be in the house without their agent present. I still don’t think allowing the buyer to measure the property is that big of a deal.
Yes, we all know that. But your statement that after the contract is signed (which is the case here), the house is no longer a private residence is simply not true.

The measurements may not be that big a deal to you; but it depends on the circumstances. In OP's case, we know why she wants more time before the buyers come in. In my case that I had described, I was skeptical of the buyer's motives, based on some previous interactions I'd had. I felt it could turn into a snooping expedition, bringing along their father the attorney, and could result in discovery of some more "problems".
Now if the first buyer I ever had -- a sweet single woman or quite a few subsequent buyers -- had asked, I would have certainly said yes. Just going with my gut.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
I pretty much always tell buyers to bring a tape measure to the home inspection and/or final walk through to measure for furniture/fixtures.

I don't see why a seller would be bothered by this. I could see it being a slight inconvenience if the buyer tries to make a separate appointment just to measure; hence why I suggest we do it during the inspection. In this particular case with the seller not even living in the home at the time.....it really shouldn't make a difference at all.

Heck....it should be a GOOD sign to the seller....the buyer is excited to move in!

Old 09-28-2018, 05:06 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, we all know that. But your statement that after the contract is signed (which is the case here), the house is no longer a private residence is simply not true.

The measurements may not be that big a deal to you; but it depends on the circumstances. In OP's case, we know why she wants more time before the buyers come in. In my case that I had described, I was skeptical of the buyer's motives, based on some previous interactions I'd had. I felt it could turn into a snooping expedition, bringing along their father the attorney, and could result in discovery of some more "problems".
Now if the first buyer I ever had -- a sweet single woman or quite a few subsequent buyers -- had asked, I would have certainly said yes. Just going with my gut.
I went through that when I sold my house. The 2 PHDs in their early 30’s had to get Daddys’ approval to buy their first home. ( Daddy the Architect) Daddy and Mommy wanted to tour my house with me there ( and my agent if course) . Daddy kept grilling me on the condidtion etc of my house. ( which I had paid $$$$ on remodeling the year before, mind you. Room addition, professional landscaping , new driveway etc). PERMITS FOR ALL! Happy to prove it. I hung tough and did NOT let Architect guy intimidate me. I answered all of his questions.

They closed on my house a couple a few weeks later. Selling a house is gutwrenching.....I do understand that. I HATED selling my house...but life moved me in a different direction.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:14 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
What? Many sellers reside in their homes until right before closing. Contracts fall through sometimes for numerous reasons.
I felt that way. Your time is no long your own. Wanna sell it? You cooperate with the buyers and prospective buyers. Strangers touring and looking at your house, etc. you leave on a moments notice to allow an Agent to bring a client to look at the house. Of course I “lived” in my house up until the day before closing. My belongings were all gone from the and I slept on the floor my last night in my home......signed the papers the next day and then drove the 3 hours to me “new” house.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I felt that way. Your time is no long your own. Wanna sell it? You cooperate with the buyers and prospective buyers. Strangers touring and looking at your house, etc. you leave on a moments notice to allow an Agent to bring a client to look at the house. Of course I “lived” in my house up until the day before closing. My belongings were all gone from the and I slept on the floor my last night in my home......signed the papers the next day and then drove the 3 hours to me “new” house.
Not picking on you, but in general, many of the posts are missing the point. Maybe they didn't read what the OP wrote or maybe they didn't give it much thought before posting.

In a NORMAL situation, you let the buyers in to measure.

The OP has a different situation. Maybe no one else here has had a loved one die? And then had to go and clean out their house? I can't believe that so few have never experienced the devastating feeling of grief.

The OP did not decide to sell the house to move to a new or better one. The OP's mother died. All the furnishings in this house belonged to the OP's deceased mother. That means there are very strong, painful emotions coming into play. If someone can't understand that, then what more can be said?

All the OP is asking for is respect for her feelings. If you have ever had to deal with the death of a loved one, to have to clean out their desk, go through their clothing, take down their family pictures, empty their dresser drawers of personal items, you will know the overwhelming sorrow. It's not the usual situation of "Oh boy! I sold the house! Hooray!"

There's a time and a place for everything. The new buyers got a deal because the OP is not the owner and it was not her choice to sell. She had to get her late mother's house sold. For the buyers it's a time of joy. For the OP this is a time of sorrow. Even in a business deal, there is room for compassion.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not picking on you, but in general, many of the posts are missing the point. Maybe they didn't read what the OP wrote or maybe they didn't give it much thought before posting.

In a NORMAL situation, you let the buyers in to measure.

The OP has a different situation. Maybe no one else here has had a loved one die? And then had to go and clean out their house? I can't believe that so few have never experienced the devastating feeling of grief.

The OP did not decide to sell the house to move to a new or better one. The OP's mother died. All the furnishings in this house belonged to the OP's deceased mother. That means there are very strong, painful emotions coming into play. If someone can't understand that, then what more can be said?

All the OP is asking for is respect for her feelings. If you have ever had to deal with the death of a loved one, to have to clean out their desk, go through their clothing, take down their family pictures, empty their dresser drawers of personal items, you will know the overwhelming sorrow. It's not the usual situation of "Oh boy! I sold the house! Hooray!"

There's a time and a place for everything. The new buyers got a deal because the OP is not the owner and it was not her choice to sell. She had to get her late mother's house sold. For the buyers it's a time of joy. For the OP this is a time of sorrow. Even in a business deal, there is room for compassion.

Exactly on point.

The OP is offering a very decent accommodation under the circumstances.
I hope the buyers are gracious and grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate