Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:32 PM

23,975 posts, read 32,296,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I live near Houston, in a quiet, safe rural area. My wife is from Trinidad and Tobago, a high-crime country, and she still doesn't feel safe in a home without burglar bars and security doors. Would buying a house in a subdivision and installing those security items reduce the property value and the neighborhood around the house? Would we have to find a house in the country and then install those bars and doors so others won't complain?
Well, they don't shout "safe neighborhood" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,994,031 times
The reason many Caribbean homes have them is that people needed to keep their windows open for cool breezes but keep burglars out. Those window and door bars are a pre-air-conditioning feature. Almost no one has a home without air-conditioning in 95% of the southern US.

A closed window can be locked. Other locking mechanisms are available, even sliding glass doors can be protected.

When we moved to our new home we were worried about security. The front door was 2 completely glass-paned patio type doors! We had never seen this before as a front door. All our previous home front doors were 90% solid wood or metal with little glass. We called the local police and they sent a volunteer over to walk through our home to make suggestions. He was amused we were worried because there had been so little crime of any kind. 10 years later doors still there lol. (Later saw this type door on a million dollar home, likely where the realtor owner got the idea for her non-million dollar home).

Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
We had security film put on our windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIUzIeVT1c

Old 10-02-2018, 01:05 AM

93 posts, read 65,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
The reason many Caribbean homes have them is that people needed to keep their windows open for cool breezes but keep burglars out. Those window and door bars are a pre-air-conditioning feature. Almost no one has a home without air-conditioning in 95% of the southern US.

A closed window can be locked. Other locking mechanisms are available, even sliding glass doors can be protected.

When we moved to our new home we were worried about security. The front door was 2 completely glass-paned patio type doors! We had never seen this before as a front door. All our previous home front doors were 90% solid wood or metal with little glass. We called the local police and they sent a volunteer over to walk through our home to make suggestions. He was amused we were worried because there had been so little crime of any kind. 10 years later doors still there lol. (Later saw this type door on a million dollar home, likely where the realtor owner got the idea for her non-million dollar home).

Some people prefer to open windows instead of using A/C when it's the right weather for it. I think even the south has some beautiful cooler months. Nothing like opening the windows up in the autumn after being holed up with the A/C running non-stop for the whole summer. Are windows with screens pre-air-conditioning too?

Maybe it's because we lived in some big cities but I believe in solid physical security. Not paranoid style security but more than just a flimsy window frame to keep people out. Many windows and their frames are woefully weak and provide almost no protection. 10 seconds and someone can be in.

I'm not saying everyone should run and put up bars on their windows but just making the point that many people do not wish to rely on "low crime rate" so hopefully nobody targets me or just keep the place locked up with the A/C on. I guess I'm more culturally aligned with areas where people expect solid physical security for your home. I've also been victim of crime so that might have something to do with my views also. It seems in the US that except for old Victorian type brownstones and Spanish style homes in the Southwest with pretty ironwork, most bars are going to be hideously ugly. That's just how it is and it gives people a very negative impression of it. In many parts of Europe window screens are not used but there are bars. In the US, most people would feel very uncomfortable opening a window without screens but no problem with street level windows very easy to break into. Or ground accessible windows that you can't safely leave open (no problem just use A/C all the time). So i do think a lot of this is cultural.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:17 AM

93 posts, read 65,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We had security film put on our windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIUzIeVT1c

Looks like the glass with the film needs to be solidly supported with a frame from the rear around the perimeter of the window otherwise you can just break the whole thing in like with the baseball bat - film and all. The window in the video is supported from the rear/inside like that. Looking at my windows now and there is no such frame "lip" behind the panes of glass and I think most windows are built like this so the perimeter of the glass is a serious weak point in this. The baseball bat hits like in the video have huge force so what does the film attach to that can take that force? Not sure how to explain this so hopefully it's clear!

Also, many windows do not lock well at all and have very weak frames. It's a good sales pitch but I doubt it improves security very much. Probably a big waste of money and a false sense of security. Film itself might be strong but too many other weak links in most windows.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:59 AM

11,172 posts, read 15,966,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Depends, if they have beautiful Spanish style ironwork they can look really cool.

Exactly. They are common here in Miami, even in some of the safest neighborhoods. Especially in those with older, Spanish-style homes

Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 AM

13,662 posts, read 12,344,355 times
The security door would be easier to get away with. Bars? That would be harder. Look for a solution that doesn't have the same negative connotation.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:07 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,691,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The security door would be easier to get away with. Bars? That would be harder. Look for a solution that doesn't have the same negative connotation.
Bingo.

Either fix up the exterior so that the scroll iron work on the windows looks like it belongs or get the screens that are burglar proof.

There are security doors with designs that would fit in with any house design.

Putting bars across the windows is never a good look. People do that when they live in dangerous areas..

Old 10-02-2018, 08:28 AM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Putting bars across the windows is never a good look. People do that when they live in dangerous areas..
Or a mindset from when they came from dangerous areas...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-02-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 08:57 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,241,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
If I see many houses in an area with the bars, I think it is a bad area. If I see only one home with them, I figure it is an overly worried person.
I figure it is a high crime area and would be hesitant to buy in that neighborhood. OP - just get a security system if your wife is nervous about crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate