Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times

Advertisements

Don’t know how people do it. If you’re single I can understand, I’ve had some small spaces and I made 800-950 square feet work. Single. HUGE difference. We are in a 2,800 square foot house and it only works because the layout is PERFECT. Across 3 floors so the basement (daylight) has home gym equipment and arcade / pinball plus 75” and 65” TVs (second is for guest gaming), meaning I can hang out with friends or watch movies if she has to sleep earlier two floors above. We both work from home (and outside part time for her) and don’t share the same sleep schedules so two bedrooms and two offices (4 bedrooms) is minimum for us. We’ve done the whole condo living in two bedrooms and sharing an office and one bedroom and it’s a nightmare for us, led to a lot of general unhappiness and just not enough space at all.

If all you expect from your home is a bed and a fridge, sure, ok. But I expect my home to serve as everything from entertainment hub to gym to office to friend hangout zone to a reflection of my personal interests and achievements. It needs space. This is the smallest house I’d ever live in. We are close to moving up to about 4,000; our current house doesn’t even have a pantry.

A 2,600 square foot house shouldn’t be hard to clean, ours is bigger and it’s easy and doesn’t take much time at all and we’re picky! I grew up in an 8,000 square foot house before moving at 14 to a 20,000 square foot house. That’s big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 03:50 PM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
...We are in a 2,800 square foot house and it only works because the layout is PERFECT....our current house doesn’t even have a pantry.
Let me be the first to question whether any 2800SF layout could be perfect without a pantry.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie and I are selling our 103 acre farm with a 2600 sf house.

We are in our mid 60's and just don't want (or can't do) all the work anymore. I'm also getting tired of cleaning a large house, and all the furnishings in a large house. There's got to be a life other than working to maintain a large home.

So when we sell I was thinking of buying something under 1000sf. Thinking anywhere in the 800- 900sf range, tho idea is "not carved in stone."

We are already slowly cleaning out barns and rooms getting rid of or selling lots of stuff. I currently- as I write this- have a truck and trailer packed and heading to an auction in 2 weeks. Will pack up our SUV also next weekend for our first load (of approx. 3-4) we'll make next week alone. Already did 3 loads of stuff to a different auction (most of our horse tack and supplies) 2 weeks ago.

Questions:

Does anyone live in a very small house?
How do you like it?
Did you go from a large home to a tiny home?
How small is your home?
What are the pros and cons?
Are you happy you did it, or do you want to go back to something larger?
What would you do differently or change?

All info would be welcome. Thanks.
I honestly think you guys should just rent from here on out. You already lived that life now try a different one. Make life easy and comfortable for yourselves with everything walkable and available in vicinity. You will realize how much time is left in your hands that you can apply towards your hobbies.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Small Christmas tree (a plant) in my small house.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I wish builder offered options for a 3/2 about 1100 feet for a reasonable price.

That's why lots in my area are not worth anything really, it costs so much to build a home that it's not worth building a small one. Though there area lot of old small ones from the late 1940s and on in this area.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I wish builder offered options for a 3/2 about 1100 feet for a reasonable price.

That's why lots in my area are not worth anything really, it costs so much to build a home that it's not worth building a small one. Though there area lot of old small ones from the late 1940s and on in this area.
I just looked at a 1100 sq ft, 3/2 today and I loved it. It's a 1955 ranch that was rehabbed completely. The builder also added the second bathroom (master) and extended the size of the master bedroom -- the additional space was created with an addition to the original footprint. The kitchen/dining/living room was all opened up and the ceiling vaulted a bit. I have to assume the original house had closed rooms and a traditional ceiling, although, I don't know for sure. Anyway, since it's a small space, having it open this way created a nice flow, a great airy feeling and wonderful natural light throughout.

The only thing it's really missing that I would have liked is a basement for more storage. Well and a mudroom, although there is an entrance-way/hallway that can probably be a mudroom-ish.

It's actually a couple hundred sq ft smaller than my townhouse (condo), but it's all on one floor, vs 3 (4, if you include the basement) of my current place. I think I'm going to make an offer.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Anyone else absolutely hate it when someone buys a small home with the intention of "adding on" to make it a large home? Leave the small homes for those of us who want one!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anyone else absolutely hate it when someone buys a small home with the intention of "adding on" to make it a large home? Leave the small homes for those of us who want one!
It doesn't even make sense since it costs so much more to add on than to buy a bigger home in the first place.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Was that directed at my post? In this case, the house was a one bathroom, most people want at least 1.5. It's still a very small house, but I will appreciate the second bathroom and a bit of extra space in my bedroom, if I end up living there. It's still quite small and has a tiny yard. My realtor thought one of the reasons it didn't have an offer immediately after the open house on Saturday is because it's so small. The size is perfect for me, but I guess not so for others in this market (or at least not enough to have it snapped off the market right away).

ETA: Contractors are going to do what they think will pay off the most for profit. They don't care if people are upset that the house isn't small enough. If they feel they can make more money by adding square footage, then that's what they are going to do. They aren't doing it just for the fun of it.

Last edited by bizcuit; 12-11-2018 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Was that directed at my post? In this case, the house was a one bathroom, most people want at least 1.5. It's still a very small house, but I will appreciate the second bathroom and a bit of extra space in my bedroom, if I end up living there. It's still quite small and has a tiny yard. My realtor thought one of the reasons it didn't have an offer immediately after the open house on Saturday is because it's so small. The size is perfect for me, but I guess not so for others in this market (or at least not enough to have it snapped off the market right away).

ETA: Contractors are going to do what they think will pay off the most for profit. They don't care if people are upset that the house isn't small enough. If they feel they can make more money by adding square footage, then that's what they are going to do. They aren't doing it just for the fun of it.
Uh, not particularly... It's just always been a pet peeve of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate