Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:37 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Lots of real estate sellers are not aware that even if they don't have to pay capital gains on the sale of a 3 million-dollar house they still might have to pay a new Medicare tax enacted in 2013. Does anybody know that if property is inherited and gets the step up in basis to current market value thus escaping the Fed and state capital gains taxes the person inheriting it still has to pay the Medicare tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 PM

738 posts, read 764,262 times
The estate pays the tax and there is a 5 million or 10 million dollar value deduction. It's 45% after that. Heirs inherit the basis the property was valued at. So if a $3 million dollar house is the only thing in the estate(doubtful) it gets transferred at present value basis rather than whatever it was bought for. If you later sold for higher than basis you'd have to pay it but otherwise I don't think so.

This is one of those reasons why they won't actually get rid of the estate tax since everyone who's under the cap would see a significant tax hike if inheritance was logged as normal income.

By the way most people roll the Medicare cap gains tax into normal cap gains calculations. The intent of it is so you can't structure your investments to avoid paying into Medicare.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
If you later sold for higher than basis you'd have to pay it but otherwise I don't think so.
This is why you shouldn't take tax advice from strangers on the internet. The 3.8% tax is an Obamacare tax and applies only if you make over $200K if you are single and $250k as a couple.

If you inherit property, you get the stepped up capital gains basis when you sell which is the value on the date of death.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
The estate pays the tax and there is a 5 million or 10 million dollar value deduction. It's 45% after that. Heirs inherit the basis the property was valued at. So if a $3 million dollar house is the only thing in the estate(doubtful) it gets transferred at present value basis rather than whatever it was bought for. If you later sold for higher than basis you'd have to pay it but otherwise I don't think so.

This is one of those reasons why they won't actually get rid of the estate tax since everyone who's under the cap would see a significant tax hike if inheritance was logged as normal income.

By the way most people roll the Medicare cap gains tax into normal cap gains calculations. The intent of it is so you can't structure your investments to avoid paying into Medicare.
huh , you are not even talking about the same subject ! this has nothing to do with estate taxes at all . there is a penalty tax on capital gains and investments based on income

Old 10-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Sorry, still confused. I'm going to inherit two pieces of real estate worth conservatively 1.2 million and I am the sole heir. I will get the step up in basis so I won't have to pay any capital gains taxes. I plan to sell them immediately upon inheriting them so I don't have to worry about future appreciation. But 1.2 million is far above the 200K threshhold set by the obamacare law so I'm wondering if, despite escaping the Fed and state capital gains, I'm still on the hook for 3.8% of everything above 200K or roughly 1 million, or if I escape the Medicare tax entirely. I've googled this ad infinitum but cannot find any specific answer on this question. Help!

Old 10-13-2018, 02:42 PM

it is based on gains . if there are no gains to create TAXABLE INCOME because you inherit it there is no surcharge

Old 10-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is based on gains . if there are no gains to create TAXABLE INCOME because you inherit it there is no surcharge
Thanks much, mathjak. "Based on GAINS" that's what I needed to hear.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 PM

It has to do with taxable income .

In 2014 we sold some lease rights we owned and I really got killed because we delayed the sale a year .

The capital gains tax went to 20% for that level ,plus the 3.80% surcharge and it triggered the amt tax

Old 10-13-2018, 03:41 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I plan to sell them immediately upon inheriting them so I don't have to worry about future appreciation.
Why are you worried about future appreciation?

Just curious.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:51 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sorry, still confused. I'm going to inherit two pieces of real estate worth conservatively 1.2 million and I am the sole heir. I will get the step up in basis so I won't have to pay any capital gains taxes. I plan to sell them immediately upon inheriting them so I don't have to worry about future appreciation. But 1.2 million is far above the 200K threshhold set by the obamacare law so I'm wondering if, despite escaping the Fed and state capital gains, I'm still on the hook for 3.8% of everything above 200K or roughly 1 million, or if I escape the Medicare tax entirely. I've googled this ad infinitum but cannot find any specific answer on this question. Help!
UGH!! You are comparing apples and oranges. Your income has to be above $200k to pay that tax. And you won't have capital gains if you are selling close to the date of death anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate