Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:58 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,132,912 times

Advertisements

it think it's a fancy french way of saying con artist. or the latter is an americanization of the french.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 06:42 PM

5,403 posts, read 3,430,503 times
nevermind

Last edited by SanyBelle; 11-12-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia2u View Post
Exactly. You have no idea who Zillows is. I'm not saying they are con artists but there is no way in heck i'm going to trust their online estimates like i trust Realtors site's estimates. Please people. Let's use some common sense. The word Realtor to means to me (in this order of importance):

1. Ethical and truthful

2. Professional
3. Knowledgeable
4. Well dressed and well liked.

The first 3 I expect of the realtor website every bit as much as a live human Realtor. The 4th one is the additional value I expect when i engage a live human Realtor beyond just using the Realtor website, realtor.com.
Just imagine if all of these people were as savvy as you!

Here, they've been putting their money in the DJIA and the S&P 500. Why, just since you shared your perspective with them, these risky stock market indices have LOST 2.1 - 2.5% in ONE DAY!

Instead, you've kept a roof over your head and can check Realtor.com and realize that if you put your house on the market right now, sight unseen, and sold it, that it's probably worth 0.01% more than it would have been on Friday.

By the way, I don't wear a suit or even a coat and tie to work. I do wear clean clothes, typically less than $200 retail at any one time. Would I qualify for #4 do you think? It's important to me that you think it's OK, or I will try to get better.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,160,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

By the way, I don't wear a suit or even a coat and tie to work. I do wear clean clothes, typically less than $200 retail at any one time. Would I qualify for #4 do you think? It's important to me that you think it's OK, or I will try to get better.

Half right ain't bad.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM

16,159 posts, read 10,303,692 times
It's so frustrating to make plans having no idea how much my home is worth. I had one agent who came out and gave us a number and I have to believe that is more valid than the sites, but that was years ago and I have no idea if the market has changed. As we have a unique old farmhouse there are no comps.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 AM

5,403 posts, read 3,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia2u View Post
1. Ethical and truthful
2. Professional
3. Knowledgeable
4. Well dressed and well liked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Half right ain't bad.

Assuming Bo is Ethical, Truthful, Professional, Knowledgeable and Well Liked, that makes him 5/6th right. Maybe if he started using Zillows, it would make him 5.6 / 6 right?

Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM

24,418 posts, read 9,279,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's so frustrating to make plans having no idea how much my home is worth. I had one agent who came out and gave us a number and I have to believe that is more valid than the sites, but that was years ago and I have no idea if the market has changed. As we have a unique old farmhouse there are no comps.
Then go to a different local agent. Then another local one.

Eventually you’ll get an idea of what it is worth.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
anything from more than 6 months ago, you can assume the market has indeed changed. If you're planning on selling, talk to multiple agents, and have a detailed discussion with them about value. If you're not planning on selling in the next year, any value that you get today is merely indicative of the market at large since you bought.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:04 PM

21,813 posts, read 9,363,245 times
What I find interesting is how reticent realtors are to actually give you a value. Admittedly, the lady who I 'hired' to show me the overpriced house has limited experience, but she is not comfortable giving an estimate of it's worth. I have interviewed two realtors about listing MY house and so far, only a range of value. I guess they are afraid if they give an actual number, I will be turned off and hire someone else? At some point, do they give a number?

Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM

13,028 posts, read 7,413,111 times
^Which is why experience Agents have the edge.
In our area, acreage can not be reliably priced. You can have a starting price to start the bidding process.
In our urban area, home prices can also be anywhere. In the last 3 years we sold and bought 5 properties. We acquired properties near to or far above the Zestmates, where we were the only bid, another where we competed against 15 others, and a third we offered the asked and beat out another by being first by a couple of hours. We sold properties far outside the zestimates. Our REagents at both places were helpful in strategies more so that pricing. Both said the bid / ask we wanted, were not out-of line and only an auction and negotiation will determine fairness. They helped us in this regard. Both REagents used their extensive networks to determine fairness and finding bidders for our properties.

As for Zestimate, it's only an estimate and maybe a starting point.

Last edited by leastprime; 11-13-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate