U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

3,899 posts, read 2,112,912 times

Advertisements

It's part of our boilerplate contract. If you are concerned, you ought to be able to request the CC&Rs before you even make an offer. Listing agent should have them, or be able to get them. Have your agent make the call and track them down for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

1,033 posts, read 298,064 times
I don't know of any usual place (small to medium size lots, medium size houses, houses facing the standard street, etc.) with a HOA where Charlygal can put in those things even with approval.

I've been poking around virginia and they have a good law about getting the package of information on the hoa rules and laws, a certain time to receive it, certain price boundaries, certain length of time to review, certain time to request any update and can actually end their offer with no reason necessary. Then inside the packet would be a great many things such as lawsuits pending, future costs for extra work being done. I can't recall them all now but a realtor said there were 18 topics that were required to be addressed in these packets.

The wrench in there is it is difficult to enforce some of these things.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

2,402 posts, read 4,903,879 times
In Arizona HOA disclosures are part of the purchase contract. The buyer has several days to review the HOA documents. The buyer doesn't HAVE to have them before an offer because in AZ an offer can be cancelled for any reason during the inspection period.

All of this is state-dependent. Know the laws and procedures in your state.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

5,912 posts, read 7,158,884 times
Always did it here. It's a box to check off on the standard IN contract.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,403,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I don't know of any usual place (small to medium size lots, medium size houses, houses facing the standard street, etc.) with a HOA where Charlygal can put in those things even with approval.
Really? The fence is nothing more than a regular privacy fence. Instead of the standard 6 ft., I want 8 ft. high. That's not that much of a big difference.

The solarium is nothing more than a sunroom or glass enclosed porch added to the back patio. If someone case screen in their patio, then using glass isn't that different.

Does anyone have any experience with HOAs and fences or sunrooms? Would it be appropriate to contact the HOA during the offer/inspection process?

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

3,899 posts, read 2,112,912 times
HOAs are as different as people. Our road has an HOA. I'm the president... all we do is maintain the road. No paint color committee, no rules about fences. Just road dues and grading twice a year.

Obviously, some HOAs are much more intrusive.

Most places won't object to the sunroom.

Out of curiosity on what might be a dealbreaker... Why so high on the fence?

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

39,508 posts, read 38,122,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? The fence is nothing more than a regular privacy fence. Instead of the standard 6 ft., I want 8 ft. high. That's not that much of a big difference.
Two feet in fence height on a quarter-acre or even a half-acre lot is a BIG difference. I have never seen an 8-foot fence in a standard HOA subdivision here in a high-growth area of about 250,000 people. Many subdivisions here only allow 4-foot fences, to protect the viewshed. The municipality may even have height restrictions. Diana is right ... it really just depends on the neighborhood.

The fence height may well be a deal-breaker in an HOA neighborhood.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,403,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
HOAs are as different as people. Our road has an HOA. I'm the president... all we do is maintain the road. No paint color committee, no rules about fences. Just road dues and grading twice a year.

Obviously, some HOAs are much more intrusive.

Most places won't object to the sunroom.

Out of curiosity on what might be a dealbreaker... Why so high on the fence?
There are humans that are 6 ft. tall. I just want to create an extra sense of privacy and isolation. I want use my yard and feel like I can't be seen. Nor do I want to see other people.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

1,815 posts, read 885,020 times
We got a copy of the CCRs before we made the offer on our current home. We have a home business, so we needed to be sure that we would be allowed to run our business out of our home. There were restrictions on the fence type, and we needed to fence the yard. The offer to purchase had the phone number for the president of the HOA on it, so my husband called him and asked about the fence and was able to get some answers we needed before we made the offer.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

2,742 posts, read 2,817,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I know it's pretty standard that most sale offers are pending inspection. How common is it for an offer to be pending inspection AND review of HOA Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs)?

We hear so many horror stories involving HOAs. I already have plans to build a solarium on the backyard patio and install an eight foot fence when I buy my new house. These are musts for me. I just need to know that the HOA won't give me trouble later.

Any thoughts? Do buyers ask to review the CC&Rs?

An 8 ft fence would be a killer here due to zoning in most places. 6' is generally the highest residential fence allowed. That wouldn't show up in HOA rules it would be in municipal or county zoning regs. The Solarium would also be subject to zoning as well as HOA rules. Don't just concentrate on the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate