U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

19,950 posts, read 36,555,669 times

Advertisements

You say you have al bench. PUT BOOTIES THERE with a sign asking (politely) that they use booties if they can't remove their shoes. Yes, people will use them. I cannot remove my shoes because of foot and ankle conditions that require that I have support all the time - so I carry a box of booties with me in my car. Make it easy for people to abide by your wishes. I've known people to take off their shoes when there is a sign (but no booties), tour the house, go back and get their shoes to go out the back door, then come back in and take them off and carry them to the front door to put them on again. Booties makes that unnecessary. Your agent should be helping you deal with this and should be able to get you a nice sign and a box of booties (I even have a folding, nicer than cardboard, holder for the booties that goes right inside the door for houses like this.)

As for the toilet issue, I likewise live in the country. The point regarding distance to a public toilet is a valid one. In town, I advise my clients that we will make a pit stop along the way. In the country, that's not so easy, especially if there are children (or someone with bladder issues) along.

You are still looking at the house as your home (which is understandable, given that you live there); you need to look at it as a showroom for something (it) you have for sale.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; Yesterday at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

5,515 posts, read 6,193,865 times
OP, I appreciate what you are going through. People are slobs. You just have to accept it when you open your house to the public.

Think about it from a positive perspective: Your house is immaculate. People, even the slobs, notice it and it is a selling point.

Mind you, once it is sold, it will turn into a chithole . Next time you are in a parking lot, glance into the car parked next to you. Many will have clothing, food bags, Halloween candy wrappers, snacks, cigarette butts and that "lived in it for a few years--hasn't needed shoveling out yet" look. The houses that these people come from are no different.

Americans in particular are like this. Buy it, use it, trash it, throw it away, put a new one on the CC. For the rest of us we buy the best we can afford, use it, care for it, appreciate it and have it, in new condition, for a lifetime. It is just one attitude versus another.

Sell your home, hand over the keys and don't look back. It is all business. I Know it kills you, but just let it go. Trust me, the lookers don't give it a second thought.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

9,454 posts, read 7,420,861 times
You can't control strangers. You can try to curtail some behavior, but you will always have people behaving badly. Look at what people do in museums and other public spaces.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

13,221 posts, read 17,786,720 times
Last house I sold we packed most of our things in moving crates and boxes and they were secured and taped up . I find it is best just to leave furniture and tvs in place until day of moving so people can see you are serious about moving out and you don't have to worry about people walking off with certain little things they think are cute or children having sticky fingers . yes you might find your couch pillows a miss but they are having a seat and being comfy and that is a good sign and key to the buyers being comfy in the house they are considering buying . Booties mentioned above are a good idea . yes you will have some people that just really behave badly no matter where they are so chalk it up to just plain bad manners . Yes I agree with detaching yourself from a home once it is on the market .

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

237 posts, read 81,233 times
OP

You do not know that someone "used" your toilet (and you better not have proof i.e. video anything). They may have flushed to check water pressure and left the lid up. In Florida for some reason when homes for sale are photographed for MLS all toilet lids are in up position.

Checking your dryer and door now closed? Ditto. These are active "buy" signals. Anytime people actually touch something they are interested. Someone turned the thermostat down? Checking it was working. Buy signal.

Not wearing booties? You cannot expect people to do this unless your home has precious jade floors and is listed for $100 million. Get over yourself.

Unless your carpets are stained you have no reason to complain. If you complain to any realtor expect your showings to go to zero. No one wants to be yelled at for trying to sell your home.

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

102 posts, read 26,682 times
OP, I'm particular as you are. And yeah, some of that stuff would annoy me, but that's house selling for you.

And yes, bathroom use is ok.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

21,223 posts, read 15,536,740 times
The bathroom use can be unavoidable for some people. If you're miles away from the nearest public bathroom, it is basically going to happen some percentage of the time

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

10,184 posts, read 9,415,512 times
Look, I know it's hard since you do have an emotional attachment to the house. But you're selling it and making it available for inspection. "Make available for inspection" means that people will inspect, some more than others. I never mess with homeowners' furniture, personal items, etc., however I wouldn't feel put out if someone inspects something like a washing machine. Maybe they thought they were doing the right thing by closing the door? I don't really care for shoes on in the house either but during open houses/showings people never took off their shoes and some did track stuff on the floors. Get used to mopping and vacuuming.

As for the bathroom being used, if it's a half/guest bath what's the big deal really? I was touring a house with a small child and said small child needed to use the bathroom. Where was she supposed to go? Just wipe the seat down if it bothers you so much. Selling a house is a PITA and hard work (hence why I have no intention of moving anytime soon). You hope that you quickly get a buyer so that it would all come to an end.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

509 posts, read 204,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
OP, I appreciate what you are going through. People are slobs. You just have to accept it when you open your house to the public.

Think about it from a positive perspective: Your house is immaculate. People, even the slobs, notice it and it is a selling point.

Mind you, once it is sold, it will turn into a chithole . Next time you are in a parking lot, glance into the car parked next to you. Many will have clothing, food bags, Halloween candy wrappers, snacks, cigarette butts and that "lived in it for a few years--hasn't needed shoveling out yet" look. The houses that these people come from are no different.

Americans in particular are like this. Buy it, use it, trash it, throw it away, put a new one on the CC. For the rest of us we buy the best we can afford, use it, care for it, appreciate it and have it, in new condition, for a lifetime. It is just one attitude versus another.

Sell your home, hand over the keys and don't look back. It is all business. I Know it kills you, but just let it go. Trust me, the lookers don't give it a second thought.
I love every word of this post. Who wouldn't be grossed out by a stranger's turd in my toilet and dirty footprints all over my carpet? And people are, for the most part, thoughtless pigs.

The last time I shopped for a house, out of the 27 I looked at, only two were what I would consider clean, tidy, and didn't stink. You wonder what some people are thinking when that "For Sale" sign goes into the front yard.

OP, I totally get where you are coming from, and I would buy your house in a second - you don't happen to live in WY, do you?

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

1,004 posts, read 557,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I love every word of this post. Who wouldn't be grossed out by a stranger's turd in my toilet and dirty footprints all over my carpet? And people are, for the most part, thoughtless pigs.
Personally, I'm grossed out by taking my shoes off in a stranger's place. But different strokes for different folks. You like clean carpets. I like clean feet. We're all entitled to an opinion.

OP shouldn't put the house on the market if they can't handle the "slobs" who touch stuff. OH THE HUMANITY, little snowflakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate