Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,198,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Okay, a nights sleep and I'm still irritated (personality, I'm a private person and dread this sale process as it's a non-stop invasion of that privacy by people who just don't care about someone elses stuff). Apparently, most of you don't really care about your own stuff, so it'd make sense that you wouldn't care for someone elses.
You're still irritated at the same level after a night's sleep? Isn't stewing in your own juices fun? None of the examples you gave were OMG!!! terrible. A rant here is one thing; not being able to let it go is another. Yes, it's a personality thing. That's one thing I think you got right.

No one really enjoys the process of selling their house. Invasion of privacy? Then take it off the market and stay there forever.

To conclude that people who have given you differing opinions "don't care about their stuff" – boy, that one is out of left field.

I hope you get a satisfactory contract soon so you can "move" on – in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 02:36 PM

3,125 posts, read 1,576,467 times
I found out the hard way what happens when you allow strangers into your home. Briefly rented our single family home and I later noticed that a nice blanket that was on the bed under the comforter had disappeared. I couldn't believe someone would steal a blanket from our home so I'm not surprised or offended by lack of manners.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,724 times
Quote:
Okay, a nights sleep and I'm still irritated (personality, I'm a private person and dread this sale process as it's a non-stop invasion of that privacy by people who just don't care about someone elses stuff). Apparently, most of you don't really care about your own stuff, so it'd make sense that you wouldn't care for someone elses.
I care greatly about my "stuff," and the neat, organized appearance of my home attests to that.

But I've sold 5 houses in my lifetime and I take the kinds of issues you've mentioned as part of the "cost" - emotional, in this case - of selling the house. I've had a house broken into - valuable and sentimental things stolen, dirty glove smears all over every folder in my file cabinet, wedding gifts and cards stolen on my honeymoon so I couldn't even write thank you notes because I had no idea who gave me what - THAT is an invasion of privacy.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,121,554 times
You could always insist on staying in the house while people are viewing, I know that would drive the agents and possible buyers nuts, but there is no law that says you have to leave.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:06 PM

4,017 posts, read 2,695,873 times
I sold a house three years ago (almost to the very day, in fact), and I well remember the PITA it was having people going through my home.

Now, I'm somebody who doesn't wear shoes in my home, but that's mostly because I don't like wearing shoes, period. I don't make my guests take off theirs. I simply accept that I may have to sweep/mop/vacuum once they leave.

As for the toilet....the only thing I requested when I was showing my house was that the lids be put back down if they were used, because I had cats who would try and play around in them otherwise. I can't see getting bent out of shape over somebody using a toilet (unless they made an absolute mess. *Then* I'd be hacked.) In fact, if whomever uses it *doesn't* make a mess, how would I even know?

Sitting on the sofa or at the table wouldn't bother me either. In fact, I'd take it as a sign that they're imagining themselves in that room, doing whatever.

This isn't to say there *aren't* things that happened that I got ticked at. I came home one time to find my sliding glass door cracked slightly open (not much, but enough) and my TV set on. I did call the agent who did the showing (she'd left a card) and bawled her out for that one. (I was more mad about the door than anything. Somebody could have gotten in, or had it been open a little more, my cats could have gotten out. And I see no justification for turning on my TV.)

There does need to be a balance between potential buyers realizing that for the time being, this *is* still somebody's home, but the sellers also have to look on it as it's soon to be *somebody else's* home.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,127,107 times
OP has probably left the building as far as this thread is concerned, but fwiw, I am simultaneously sympathetic and annoyed by him.

Yes, it's irritating to have strangers going through your home. It's frustrating if they don't leave it the way YOU want it.

But the reality is that they used it the way THEY would use it, and that's what doing a showing is about. Even if a washing machine or closet door was left open on purpose, I would probably close it without thinking out of force of habit - or thinking I was being courteous about putting it in better order.

And as others said, give me booties, and I'll put them on. But no way, no how am I taking off my shoes to walk around a stranger's house, esp. one that who knows how many other people have been walking around? When I was selling a few years ago, I had multiple showings most days and as a buyer, I wouldn't want to assume that everyone else going through the house took their shoes off, so I certainly am not going to walk around barefoot or in stocking feet. Plus yuck, why do you want my theoretically sweating, smelly feet tracking their way through your house??

Things like the thermostat are problematic and that's an agent issue, not a buyer issue. I had similar issues with lights - at the time, I had mostly CFL bulbs and purposefully left every light on all day long, because I wanted a great first impression, not those few minutes of dim lights as the bulbs came to full power. But I'm sure the agents who walked around turning everything off assumed they were being helpful.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
OP: To answer your question: You are being "too picky" - especially if you want to sell the house. The other respondents who explained someone might have been seeing how things work or helping you out by closing the washer door gave you good examples of reasons for the thermostat or toilet lid not being the way you left them.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,301,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP has probably left the building as far as this thread is concerned, but fwiw, I am simultaneously sympathetic and annoyed by him.

Yes, it's irritating to have strangers going through your home. It's frustrating if they don't leave it the way YOU want it.

But the reality is that they used it the way THEY would use it, and that's what doing a showing is about. Even if a washing machine or closet door was left open on purpose, I would probably close it without thinking out of force of habit - or thinking I was being courteous about putting it in better order.

And as others said, give me booties, and I'll put them on. But no way, no how am I taking off my shoes to walk around a stranger's house, esp. one that who knows how many other people have been walking around? When I was selling a few years ago, I had multiple showings most days and as a buyer, I wouldn't want to assume that everyone else going through the house took their shoes off, so I certainly am not going to walk around barefoot or in stocking feet. Plus yuck, why do you want my theoretically sweating, smelly feet tracking their way through your house??

Things like the thermostat are problematic and that's an agent issue, not a buyer issue. I had similar issues with lights - at the time, I had mostly CFL bulbs and purposefully left every light on all day long, because I wanted a great first impression, not those few minutes of dim lights as the bulbs came to full power. But I'm sure the agents who walked around turning everything off assumed they were being helpful.

Being an agent who lives in the country and was brought up on "leave the gates the way you found them", I do the same with lights in a house. If they are off when we enter, they are turned off before we leave. If they are on when we enter, I leave them on, in case there's another showing coming behind us and the seller wants them left on for both. It's just force of habit to leave things as I found them.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:30 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,450,813 times
With the exception of the thermostat (agree you shouldn't mess with the thermostat during a showing; especially in an occupied home..save it or the inspection).....yes, you are being too picky.

Getting worked up over a toilet seat being left up, a washer door being closed, and a wrinkle in a blanket is not good for your health.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,387,997 times
Quote:

For reference, I do have a bench at the door (100 y/o church pew), no booties though. That's a good idea, but will the people that can't be bothered to remove shoes bother with them? Plenty of seating throughout the house that wouldn't show signs of use, heck the living room wouldn't/don't show signs of use when you sit like an adult (not flopping around like a fish out of water).

The toilet thing? No. I've done all-day looking and when I needed a break, I said so (usually driven by the agent) and we pull into a business.

But, apparently I'm alone here. Leave no trace... it's a concept used for people who go outdoors to keep from littering, but I apply it everywhere. No one should ever be able to tell I was there. Flows back to the Golden Rule, treating others how I wish to be treated... with some respect towards that fact that it's their Home. Not just some house to buy.

Any mods watching this? Since my question is thoroughly answered and the dead horse has been beaten into a puddle of mud, can this be locked?
Apparently your question was answered but you just didn’t like the answers. But if you wanna be a big baby because you didn’t get the answers you wanted to hear go ahead. Are you serious with that response? I/we dont care about my/our stuff? Actually I/we do. I’m just smart enough to understand that when people come see a house I’m selling they may not want to remove shoes, and sometimes they can’t hold it, and they will open doors, and bump into things, look in cabinets. It’s called looking at a house. Otherwise it would be called “we’re going on a trip to the museum.”

Basically people check the house out. If you don’t like it stop selling it.
You’re the exact type that’s gonna have a hard time selling simply because you can’t let go. You have two choices.
1. Grow up and c9mprehend that you’re selling and by being this picky baby you’re gonna have a hard time selling.
2. Take the house off the market and stop making yourself the agents and buyers miserable

When I looked at houses I looked to see what I may be making a offer on. I’m gonna measure rooms, open cabinets look at the house. It’s called shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate