U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for your input.

Parnassia - You're right, the tenants below did not take care their weeding responsibilities in the spring, I eventually solved the problem by mulching the yard after LL said they would pay for it. We are going to get quotes for a monthly service after we "maintain" it tomorrow.

MrRational - Decide what things? How to trim the bushes? Apparently cause until now LL has not given any specific instructions on maintain besides saying trim them. Which is an extremely vague and frustrating answer.

MikeJaquish - Yes we are looking at our options about moving too. I don't think LL will budge on a new agreement, as they think they are in the right about all of it. And HUGE lesson learned. Definitely would not have signed the lease if I had thought it would only be us two who have to take care of it. And the level of aggravation LL has caused us about it.

petsandgardens - She never answered that questions about the "apartment" situation...just says its our responsibility. I have asked the other tenants about their lease language, they told me it only says watering the yard and some weeding.

ferraris - the yard is for looks. there is no patio or deck. the downstairs floor has stairs and a short walkway to their entrance. Yes it needs professional help, we are definitely not interested in trimming for fun in the yard. I just had a frank discussion with my LL when they showed up unannounced to do yard work and see if people will cut down the fast growing bushes. They say one thing, then the next time it's something totally different. Very frustrating and aggravating. We have been good tenants, except for their issue with the yard. I have fixed things in the house and re-caulked the shower/tub to avoid a bathroom water issue without them having to bother with it. (They knew I was doing it and paid for supplies) We pay rent and utilities on time and are single working professionals who are really not home much.

kitty61- the rent is about market value for a 2bd2ba 1500 sqft top floor of the house with use of the garage. I had very little faith the downstairs will chip in since it is not in their contract and failed to do anything when they had to in the spring.

oregonwoodsmoke - no it wouldn't be hard to do with a trimmer. I have not gotten one yet, just rented one when we trimmed in the spring.

E-twist - we have thought about just chopping them off when we are pissed off at the LL but yes that would cause lots of problems and more $$.

NYC refugee - I agree about simple landscaping, mowing the grass and some flower bed weeding. LL had not given us any information about what types of bushes and trees they are so we can look up the right way to trim until I repeatedly asked her for what they looked like before and looking the types up by myself.

oceangaia - we have left it for 6 mos. but LL just hounds us about it rather than just getting a service. Id rather have some boundaries rather than see my LL multiple times a month in my yard.

parentologist - This was never intended to be a rental I dont think. The yard was planted many many years ago. LL inherited the garden. I'm not getting anywhere with trying to get the LL make the downstairs tenants pay for it.

Also I got a DM that said the top floor of the house always is responsible for the yard??? Why?

Yard maintenance day for us is scheduled for tomorrow. :l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 05:06 PM

3,285 posts, read 1,902,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcard86 View Post
oregonwoodsmoke - no it wouldn't be hard to do with a trimmer. I have not gotten one yet, just rented one when we trimmed in the spring.

<snip>

Also I got a DM that said the top floor of the house always is responsible for the yard??? Why?

Yard maintenance day for us is scheduled for tomorrow. :l
Wait - what?! Your stupid LL doesn't even provide you a trimmer?? Did they leave you any tools to do the yard work with?

In my last rental (3 family house), the first floor was responsible for shoveling the sidewalks. The landlords family (LL was out of the country for a few years) took care of mowing and cleaning the driveway of snow. But they left me shovels to do the walk with!

No, just no. If someone wants me to do maintenance on their property, they better have equipment stashed somewhere.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:16 PM

3,476 posts, read 3,333,332 times
Yeah, this is really strange. The problem is that if you don't do it, the LL will take your deposit. You should tell him you need professional equipment to maintain this yard, and that you'll be happy to trim it as soon as he provides you with the pro level equipment. And start looking for another place - this is ridiculous.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:37 AM

16,723 posts, read 17,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
That landscaping is gorgeous, and very high maintenance. No one in their right mind would plant a rental property that way. If it is very overgrown, it may be too late to bring it back. The only way that landscaping is going to be maintained is if it is done by a professional gardener, on a regular, scheduled basis. Tell the LL that this landscaping cannot be maintained by an amateur, that it is beyond your capability, certainly cannot be done as a "shared" job by the two units, and that he should hire a professional landscaper. He's going to have to work out the coverage of the cost of it with both units, or just pay for it himself and raise the rent the next time around.
This right here. My rentals are all maintained by a landscaper. Itís just part of the cost of owning a rental. To me itís no different than asking the tenant to do all the maintenance, paint drywal, plumbing etc.
I never understood why LLs put the landscaping on the tenant. Itís a deductible cost to the LL. And the best part is there is less chance the tenant will kill the yard.
If I was a tenant I wouldnít want the responsibility. I would probably hire a landscaper myself. I am not a green thumb and would make it clear to the LL that Iím not. And I dint have the time even if I was.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 2,462,258 times
It is standard for a tenant to maintain the landscaping in AZ, granted you won't find yards like that here very often because tenants will destroy it (you also won't find the living situation you have). The closest thing to your situation would be a multi-unit apartment building or a duplex in which case the apartment owner would take care of the landscaping or the tenants in the duplex take care of their side.

In AZ maintain would mean keep it in the same condition it was in when you received the property, was it overgrown when you moved in? The lease goes so far as to say that if the tenant is in breach then the LL will hire it out at the tenants expense. Seems pretty straight forward to me, even if on the absurd end of things, good luck trying to fight him on this one. I'd expect, based on the lease clause you gave us, if cutting it back resulted in anything dying then the replacement cost could be charged to you as well.

You should always read and understand what you are agreeing to before signing a lease. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:58 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,538,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcard86 View Post
They say one thing, then the next time it's something totally different. Very frustrating and aggravating.
Ugh! That's the worst. Get things in writing from now on. Even if it's just texts or e-mails, at least you'll have something to point to if there's a misunderstanding.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 AM

1,701 posts, read 627,579 times
If you do end up with having to care for the rather beautiful but high maintenance landscaping I would ask for specific instructions in writing from the LL on care, tell him you have no experience in caring for such and have a black thumb and can quickly a air fern. In what season/month to trim. How much to take off on each and every single shrubbery. Do they need fertilizer, pest control, trimming of any branch, do you then treat the area where you trim branch, with what, how often, weed control chemicals, what kind, how often. Do they need winter protection. Ask that all instructions be in writing so there is no confusion. Also, you don't have the proper tools since you never had to care for shrubbery before this. Since he used to live there he needs to hand over all the specialized tool so you can care for the shrubbery. I have a feeling he has no clue because he may have paid someone to do this. He will probably say he doesn't know how to care for. Then why/should you know how to care for his expert level of topiary.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM

16,723 posts, read 17,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
It is standard for a tenant to maintain the landscaping in AZ, granted you won't find yards like that here very often because tenants will destroy it (you also won't find the living situation you have). The closest thing to your situation would be a multi-unit apartment building or a duplex in which case the apartment owner would take care of the landscaping or the tenants in the duplex take care of their side.

In AZ maintain would mean keep it in the same condition it was in when you received the property, was it overgrown when you moved in? The lease goes so far as to say that if the tenant is in breach then the LL will hire it out at the tenants expense. Seems pretty straight forward to me, even if on the absurd end of things, good luck trying to fight him on this one. I'd expect, based on the lease clause you gave us, if cutting it back resulted in anything dying then the replacement cost could be charged to you as well.

You should always read and understand what you are agreeing to before signing a lease. Good luck.
I would simply want the approval to hire a landscaper in such case that I will pay myself. I don’t have the time to screw around nor do I want the responsibility for the lawn. I would prefer you roll it in the rent so I don’t deal with it. So when the lawn dies because of whatever cause or reason I’m not blamed for it.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:17 AM

7,616 posts, read 3,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I would simply want the approval to hire a landscaper in such case that I will pay myself. I donít have the time to screw around nor do I want the responsibility for the lawn. I would prefer you roll it in the rent so I donít deal with it. So when the lawn dies because of whatever cause or reason Iím not blamed for it.

Exactly. Although I suspect the LL knows that it is a high maintenance yard and if he hires a service and bills it to tenants, it will add so much that his units are no longer market competitive. We aren't talking about $50 every two weeks to mow a yard.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 600,232 times
I own multiple rental properties. Tree trimming is my responsibility. Weeding, mowing grass, trimming bushes is tenant's responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or