U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 20,279 times

Advertisements

For the most part. They are willing to rent you their property, so that you will pay their mortgage.
Where upon, tada, with little to no effort, they will enrich themselves.
In this current age, landlords have the advantage as rentals are hard to find, worldwide.
In my opinion, landlord abuse of tenants is very high.

Without seeing your lease, I cannot tell you how screwed you are.
I suggest that you go through your lease with a fine tooth comb.

Then, figure out where and how much it would cost to move.
Best to you.
QUOTE=stlcard86;53709243]Thanks for the input. I agree that it is a very nice but very high maintenance yard. Yes LL did live here for a few years but has now moved about an hour away. When the other tenants were not doing their portion of the weeding around the house, we were all supposed to pitch in with getting a gardener. But when we let the bushes/shrubs go longer than LL likes, then we are the only 2 of 6 who are responsible for it. Maybe this is just a rant, because it seems like I won't be able to change LL's mind about it.

Everything has been very confusing with LL. I ask what needs to be trimmed and when, and I am told to trim whatever there is in the yard or just trim a little on the outside. I ask what kind of bushes and plants they are -- I get a shoulder shrug "Previous owners planted it all". I finally asked this time for pictures of what it looked like when it was maintained to LL liking, which were the pictures posted in the first post. I would do it myself but its a large yard that I feel should either be taken care of by the LL themselves or divide the responsibility up by all tenants. Last time I asked this, I received this response from LL "I don't expect the downstairs to do the trimming because their living arrangement resembles an apartment. They are just expected to pull up the weeds and pick up leaves and trash around the house up to right before the front part of the house." I really don't get the reasoning???? There is basically two "apartments in this house"!! We all live on the property. I know from a previous tenant that LL did have a gardener but I didn't find out why it was stopped. I have been looking for a monthly gardening service to trim everything, but I don't want to my apartment to only pick up the tab.

This LL also does random inspections and will tell tenants how to clean up their rooms, how to recycle, and generally give instruction on things that are of no concern to LL. As long as the property is in good condition, LL should leave us alone right? They have to understand that it is not their home anymore and that we will have and do things differently. Don't I have a right to live peacefully and without harassment?? The shrubs and bushes are not dead, nothing is damaging the house, it's all just too long for my LL liking...

I do realize I am stuck in the lease with the current terms and that it is basically decided, but right now I am month-to-month and possibly with my roommate moving out in two months. But I dread moving...I just want this situation to be fair for everyone and not to be bothered about it again.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM

25,987 posts, read 50,100,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Wait - what?! Your stupid LL doesn't even provide you a trimmer?? Did they leave you any tools to do the yard work with?

In my last rental (3 family house), the first floor was responsible for shoveling the sidewalks. The landlords family (LL was out of the country for a few years) took care of mowing and cleaning the driveway of snow. But they left me shovels to do the walk with!

No, just no. If someone wants me to do maintenance on their property, they better have equipment stashed somewhere.
Few Landlords provide power tools due to liability...

As a property manager basic landscape maintenance is part of the service...

The only times there have been issues is over water bills which can be seasonally high here... this is explained in detail in the lease but some gloss right over it.

Even if not a single drop of water flows all of the service charges are getting close to $80 a month... so a $125 water bill really is $45 in direct water used.

The yard looks like higher end California drought landscape... low water.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

3,285 posts, read 1,902,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Few Landlords provide power tools due to liability...

As a property manager basic landscape maintenance is part of the service...

The only times there have been issues is over water bills which can be seasonally high here... this is explained in detail in the lease but some gloss right over it.

Even if not a single drop of water flows all of the service charges are getting close to $80 a month... so a $125 water bill really is $45 in direct water used.

The yard looks like higher end California drought landscape... low water.

I get that, but to expect a tenant to have to buy equipment to manage the landscaping is just nuts. This landlord seems to have a few screws missing in the common sense department. Just tack some money on to the rent, hire a landscaper and be done with it. Everyone's happy.45az

Oh, don't get me started on water bills. We have "special service" fees on top of "special service" fees, they went from quarterly to monthly billing (so the connection fee increased) and they're asking for a rate increase again... and I am not in a dry part of the country.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

25,987 posts, read 50,100,809 times
There was a time when the water bill was of little consideration... now, it can be a deal breaker... especially if there is a lawn or pool feature.

A lot of what I manage are single family homes... almost never have I found a tenant... no matter claims to the contrary... that would or is capable of caring for exterior vegetation...

I do have a few rural properties and one with a barn where the tenants keep a two horses... we do not provide any landscape services... water is well.

Again... just about anything can be negotiated in the lease... commercial property is often NNN which means the tenant pays for everything... including property taxes and the owner's Fire Insurance Policy...

A lot of people really should not rent single family homes is what I have found... the idea can't stand up to reality or shoveling snow, raking leaves, etc...

Back to water... at least with Gas and Electric the minimum fees are very low... no charge to have a gas meter on here... only charge is for how much gas is used.

Water bill has very high minimum fees often more than the water used...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or