U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:26 AM

70 posts, read 44,400 times

Advertisements

I encourage my clients to call me and I'll happily take them to look at a house. I do though have / had clients that like to venture out on their own and then call me if they have an interest in seeing the inside. Some people feel that a For Sale sign gives them the right to Trespass. I do my best to discourage this behavior but I'm not always successful.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:10 PM

1,834 posts, read 894,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
I encourage my clients to call me and I'll happily take them to look at a house. I do though have / had clients that like to venture out on their own and then call me if they have an interest in seeing the inside. Some people feel that a For Sale sign gives them the right to Trespass. I do my best to discourage this behavior but I'm not always successful.
I had just the opposite happen when we were looking for our current home. We had driven 4 hours with a pre-planned appointment weekend with our agent. She informed me after we arrived on Friday that it was "customary" in this area for the buyers to go out and look at the houses they are interested on their own before asking the agent to take us inside for a tour. So yeah, we did a lot of window peeking and property walking, though if the house looked occupied, we just took it off from our list because we weren't comfortable going onto a property that people were living in. She had some new clients who apparently were spending more money (though we were buying two houses, one for us and one for my dad) than we were, so she bumped us to take them out looking at houses. Needless to say, I will never recommend her to anyone.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:26 PM

6,029 posts, read 3,258,137 times
I wouldn't walk around an occupied property that's for sale. But if it's new construction and it has a "for sale" sign on it, I consider that an open invitation to look around. No normal person is going to consider a well-dressed older couple in a late model vehicle as suspicious.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:28 PM

552 posts, read 116,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeighbor View Post
Do you think contacting the listing agent and telling them whats happening and that the PD has been on the scene is worth the trouble? After all, they want people to see the property and hopefully call them for a showing.

Maybe it will stop if one of these "window shoppers" kicks in the front door and wheels the appliances out on a dolly!
Realtors don't care about anything unless it is someone making an offer on the house. You called the police, call them again if you see this and talk to the chief of police about it or whoever is in charge for the night watch.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:15 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,793,068 times
My husband flew out from CA to WV to view what is now our current house, as soon as he arrived and before the agent arrived the next door neighbor came out asking him what he was doing there. This house has been empty for years and had been vandalized in the past.
Personally I think calling the police was fine especially if they were looking into sheds etc.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:43 PM

39,624 posts, read 38,236,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

No normal person is going to consider a well-dressed older couple in a late model vehicle as suspicious.
I.e. privilege

Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM

2,460 posts, read 4,467,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No normal person is going to consider a well-dressed older couple in a late model vehicle as suspicious.
This made me laugh out loud. When I was in my late 20s, I purchased my first home - a small one - for cash. When my realtor took me to see it, the listing agent just happened to be there doing something.

My realtor said the listing agent was shocked when she told her later that day that I brought an all-cash offer. "What? That young lady in the jeans a sweatshirt, wearing hiking boots?" It's a good thing we arrived in my agent's car instead of mine.

Remember that old saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover?"

Old 11-24-2018, 04:06 PM

2,780 posts, read 2,832,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I had just the opposite happen when we were looking for our current home. We had driven 4 hours with a pre-planned appointment weekend with our agent. She informed me after we arrived on Friday that it was "customary" in this area for the buyers to go out and look at the houses they are interested on their own before asking the agent to take us inside for a tour. So yeah, we did a lot of window peeking and property walking, though if the house looked occupied, we just took it off from our list because we weren't comfortable going onto a property that people were living in. She had some new clients who apparently were spending more money (though we were buying two houses, one for us and one for my dad) than we were, so she bumped us to take them out looking at houses. Needless to say, I will never recommend her to anyone.

If that had happened to me when we were looking for a home in an area and the agent pulled something like that I would do more than 'not recommend' her. I would immediately contact her broker with a complaint and then follow up with a formal complaint to the local board and/or the licensing authority. Bailing on a prearranged appointment involving travel without making arrangements for an associate to cover is unprofessional.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:06 PM

507 posts, read 128,202 times
DH and I drove by MANY "plausible" houses so we could narrow down the ones we went through with the realtor- it saved our time as well as hers. Some things still require driving up and looking at the place- DH hated street lights too close to the house and was also wary of too much road noise, for example. I don't think we ever walked onto the property and certainly didn't peer in windows or try to open sheds. When we drove up to the place we eventually bought and got out, the owner came out of the house and greeted us and walked us around the property. We exchanged realtor names and apparently he was on the phone to his realtor, who contacted my realtor, before we were even home again!

We later went on a scheduled visit with our realtor, including inside, and immediately made an offer.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,208,728 times
Isn't the purpose of the sign in the yard to get people to look?

If I was just looking (not trying to enter or any such) and someone called the cops, that property would be right out.
I don't need nutty neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or