U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 05:42 PM

9,478 posts, read 7,441,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I wouldn't walk around an occupied property that's for sale. But if it's new construction and it has a "for sale" sign on it, I consider that an open invitation to look around. No normal person is going to consider a well-dressed older couple in a late model vehicle as suspicious.
Why not? You could be casing the joint for your crew to do the job later.

OP, if you're going to call the police, you better have them on speed dial and call them for every person who walks onto the property.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:14 PM

4,760 posts, read 2,359,832 times
When I was looking for land, it never even occurred to me to call the realtors in my area. Most of the time I really didn't need to look at the property in person (thank you Google Earth with street view), but there were a few times I was seriously considering the lot that I popped in the car and went by for a look see. It was a good way to meet the neighbors and find out if there were any special problems with the property or to make sure it hadn't grown any hills or valleys since the pictures for the listing were taken.

Only one listing asked to not come on the property without an agent, but when I called her, she said to just go through the gate to see it.

I was looking for land in Spokane which is on the other end of the state for me and I called the realtors for properties there until the cows came home. One called me back. The others kept passing me around until I saw the lots I wanted were sold. Another realtor there called me back six months after I had left a message. Sorry dude, you snooze, you lose. With realtors like that around, I don't know how anyone manages to buy anything there, unless they just buy sight unseen.

Seriously, it's not all that easy to get realtors to go with you to see property or from what I experienced in the Spokane area, to even call you back to talk about them.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:24 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,139,735 times
It's not easy to find a Realtor who will just up and go meet strangers out at properties, but if you build a bit of a relationship, enough for us to know you, understand what you're looking for and that you're a qualified serious buyer... then we will go look with you.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:27 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,258,137 times
Quote:
I wouldn't walk around an occupied property that's for sale. But if it's new construction and it has a "for sale" sign on it, I consider that an open invitation to look around. No normal person is going to consider a well-dressed older couple in a late model vehicle as suspicious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why not? You could be casing the joint for your crew to do the job later.

OP, if you're going to call the police, you better have them on speed dial and call them for every person who walks onto the property.

That's why I qualified my statement by stating "normal person".

Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM

4,986 posts, read 2,225,253 times
My sil would meander on properties. She said one day..it's like ppl who drive a car on a sunny day. They don't get the full versatility of the car til it rains..snows or is foggy. So too with a home....
A flooded backyard..or the windows that ice up. Yup she was a looker and often questioned the polished open houses on sunny days.
What makes someone shady? I had a neighbor that was a professor...well dressed and versed. The fbi did a raid....the guy was building bombs. Can't judge a book by its cover.....
So to with houses .

Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM

9,478 posts, read 7,441,779 times
Quote:
That's why I qualified my statement by stating "normal person".
Have you missed the news lately. A ton of "normal" people have been calling the police on Black people doing normal, innocent things.

The point is that you can't judge a stranger's intentions by a casual glance out of one's window.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

350 posts, read 72,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeighbor View Post
House next door to me is empty and for sale. A few times there have been people on the property without being accompanied by a real estate agent.

On Thanksgiving there was 3 shadey looking individuals doing this, walking around looking into windows opening sheds... all this right at the time people likely would be sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner. I called the cops but nothing came of it.

Would you have called the cops in this instance?
Should people be snooping around a for sale home like this without a realtor with them?

I feel like some of these people are not perspective buyers since I don't see them coming back with an agent to see the inside.... I feel they are casing the house and my house. Paranoid? perhaps.
Only someone with real issues or true mental problems would call the cops on people just looking to buy a home advertised as for sale.

This is not snooping around private property, this is an item advertised for sale. This is the most bizarre post I've read in a while.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

350 posts, read 72,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeighbor View Post
Do you think contacting the listing agent and telling them whats happening and that the PD has been on the scene is worth the trouble? After all, they want people to see the property and hopefully call them for a showing.

Maybe it will stop if one of these "window shoppers" kicks in the front door and wheels the appliances out on a dolly!
geeze louise. Mind your own business. Don't even consider becoming a troublemaker for those folks trying to sell their home

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

16,120 posts, read 8,951,307 times
I will throw out that six squatters were just removed from a home for sale down the street from me after a neighbor reported suspicious activity around the property. Six vagrants had broken in through the slider at night and set up housekeeping. I don't know what state they left the house in, but it was pending sale, so I hope they did not leave any damage behind. Frankly, I found it pretty shocking because properties turn very fast in this neighborhood, and the house is on a busy street in an active and tightly-knit community, so it was inevitable that they would be discovered quickly. Definitely a heads up that this kind of stuff can happen anywhere, so I think it's prudent to have law enforcement check things out if you are worried.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,258,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have you missed the news lately. A ton of "normal" people have been calling the police on Black people doing normal, innocent things.

The point is that you can't judge a stranger's intentions by a casual glance out of one's window.

That's been happening in blue states/enclaves. I live in a very red area of a red state. We don't have that happening around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or